ARIZONA- How long to become driver? (2012)

If you have been PT since 2007, you really ought to know where the seniority list is in your building. If you do not, find out and look at it. Look how many PT people have more seniority than you, then look at the FT list. How many people have 30+ years of FT service. The combination of those numbers will give you a pretty good idea.

But you probably know this already.

Yeah I have been looking at this list man just trying to see if I can hear any solid dates of people that recently got hired. Thanks though.

barnyard

KTM rider
Yeah I have been looking at this list man just trying to see if I can hear any solid dates of people that recently got hired. Thanks though.

Recent hires do not matter. Unless the economy improves dramatically, there will only be hires after retirements. That is why it is important to know if there are people retiring any time soon.

RiverRat

Not sure how long for AZ but in the Vegas area ... right now its about 3 years to go cover driving. 5-6 years ago, PTers were hired for the sorts and they were behind the wheel within 5-6 months. Those days are long gone Im afraid. If you have a degree or are working towards one - you may want to consider a management position. There are scores of folks that are within 1-3 years of retirement and those spots will have to be filled. In my own building this year, we lost 3 managers and 5 FT sups to retirement. I know that by the end of March, we are on track to lose 2 more managers and another 2 sups.

I'm in Arizona and was one of the last people to go full time driving this year. The list is at the end of Jan 06. The guy I went driving with got disqualified and from the sounds of it Tempe didn't keep many of their new drivers either.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Looking at some of the Seniority lists I saw two in 2012 from Scottsdale Center and mostly 2008 & 2007 friend/T dates in the other Centers. I noticed that roughly 5% in each Center could retire today but almost 1/3 will be eligible by 2020 at the latest. Tempe tried to do without hiring new drivers in first few years after the strike & into the 2000's. That building was bursting at the seams with volume and there was finally some movement around 2002 and more when the Mesa building opened in 2004. That building was at capacity 6 months after it opened then it was doubled in size two years later. The problem with the East Valley is that we deliver a lot more than we pick up and we all know how UPS sees that end of the equation. A lot of the drivers trained after 2006 were pushed back into part-time after the Great Recession in 2009 and it made it all the way up to the Feeder drivers hired in 2006. Those drivers were only hired after we won a huge grievance against subcontracting. You have the same thing going on with Amazon right now which could add upwards of 37 new sleeper runs (twice returned from National) and as you can imagine that will create lots of opportunities downstream.

So basically I'm saying hang in there and keep asking the Company why they are subcontracting our work which is keeping you from a good full time job.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I'm in Arizona and was one of the last people to go full time driving this year. The list is at the end of Jan 06. The guy I went driving with got disqualified and from the sounds of it Tempe didn't keep many of their new drivers either.

Sometimes they play the game of training new drivers they know they are going to disqualify just to get through a temporary shortage such as when someone is on disability.