Around the world with Traveler

DS

Fenderbender
Re: Around the world with Traveller

Well, we're back from our journey.We both really dont like the hot sun,and we didn't have a lot of money to play with ,so gallavanting off to Tierra del Fuego was out of the question .
We left last thursday (June 26th)and its Friday night (July4th)
We drove 4,800 km (apprx 3000 mi)
We could've driven from Toronto to Vancouver and then some.
We spent our 1st night in Drummondville Quebec.Don't ever go there
if you don't speak french.Steve Martin was right,those French have a different word for everything.
Day 2 we found a beautiful motel in Fredericton New Brunswick.
We drove all over Cape Breton Island (beautiful scenery)and ended up in Sydney N.S. it was hard to believe how such a yucky town could exist in such a picturesque place.
Next night we stayed in a small town called Baddeck in N.S. It was in a gorgeous bay that was like going back 150 years.
Next day we drove to Bridgewater N.S. and had a good meal.
The next day we slept in Truro N.S.
Overall what really overwhelmed me on this trip,was how vast Canada is and the quality of all the roads .I finally saw my tax dollars at work.
We stayed in Edmunsten N.B. the next night and one more in Ottawa before coming home.
I love to drive,and this trip was a lot of fun and an eye opener for the both of us.

over9five

Staff member
OK, I'm worried about Traveler. I've always loved his posts, but it's been almost a year since his last logon.
I just sent him a PM hoping he has email notification turned on.

Hoping to hear from him soon...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I do miss his input on cruising. My wife and I love to cruise though we're nowhere near Traveler's level (yet).There was another thread on cruising that I thoroughly enjoyed as well, and Traveler had a lot to say on that one too.

klein

Für Meno :)
Traveller,WOW 113 countries,thats impressive,please share some of your experiences .Maybe some of your favorite memories from abroad.I was in the paradisio bar in Amsterdam Holland smoking hash legally in 1977 ,and I visited the Dachau concentration camp memorial
in Germany,both of which will stick in my mind forever.
When I was 22 we did a 10 wk tour of europe in a leased renault .I fell in love with castles, , and it was worth the year and a half of living in the basement eating popcorn and listening to John Prine and Jim Croce.Lets make this your thread.Everyone can chip in about different places they`ve been.Whuddya say?

I visited Dachau too, and another one in France (was formally Germany, that particular state - Elsas).
It's brutal, you can almost hear the screams, and I don't think anyone can leave such a visit without tears, and lifelong memories.

Europe in total has a nasty history, not just nazis, but also Rome with catholics being killed off. And every other country that was under Monachy in those days (thats why the castles).
We came a long way in society, a vist to Europe will remind anyone of that !

DS

Fenderbender
Keeping this thread alive,we took a drive through algonquin provincial park today and drove back through the Haliburton highlands on the way back.

fall2.jpg

fall1.jpg

fall3.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
good old America--- you can still get a Subway sandwich anywhere. Wal-mart had to be right around the corner

DS

Fenderbender
good old America--- you can still get a Subway sandwich anywhere. Wal-mart had to be right around the corner

True rod,except its not America,its Canada.We are more similar than a lot of you realize.

UPS Lifer

True rod,except its not America,its Canada.We are more similar than a lot of you realize.

Love those fall colors - unless we get some real cold weather we may not see much of a turn where I am at. So I appreciate all the pics!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Love those fall colors - unless we get some real cold weather we may not see much of a turn where I am at. So I appreciate all the pics!
LOL I have been bugging Big for pics just for this same reason, Lifer. We (you and I) have to go north to see colors like those.

UPS Lifer

I have been up the 89 to Flag the last two weeks and noticed the yellows getting deeper but I still think it is two weeks away before we see the Oak Creek area really showing the fall colors.

DS

Fenderbender
Re: Around the world with Traveller

Another road trip for us...5 hours to Montreal, maybe a comfort inn first night,
then,staying a night at
"Auberge du view port" in old Montreal.
Authentic jewish bagels,smoked meat and poutine....mmm
Then up through the Laurentian mountains
down to Ottawa and ribs at Bob and Carols
on the way home:happy2:

Lets keep travellers ideals alive

klein

Für Meno :)
DS, shouldn't you be travelling to the US, like many of your other countrymen and neighbors do ?
Esspecially now with the great exchange rate, it would cut your vacation costs in half !

But, anyways, have a nice vacation and enjoy your trip !

I'll be here starting next Wednesday for a week :

Alberta Beach