Around the world with Traveler

DS

Fenderbender
Re: Around the world with Traveller

We are going to Punta Cana in May and I already got my twinrix shots.
Some people suggested dukoral ,my doctor said it's up to me but in his
opinion pepto bismal will have the same affect,
I did a google search and one guy suggested a new drug called nopoopatal:twister2:

UPS Lifer

#15 is a big gripe of mine at the spa & resorts by Marriot in Ko'Olina....

Hotel gripes from a frequent flyer | Fox News

I try to stay only at Marriott's because I have a ton of points being a Platinum member is also a perk. The most outrageous cost I spent for parking was about 10 years ago at the Chicago Marriott. It was $40 a day. I was there for 4 days and used the car 2 times. Renting a car was a BIG mistake. I found that if you have a handicap placard you can get the valet service at no charge. Most of the gripes on the list don't bother me but SLAMMING Doors is a huge gripe. ALL hotels need to fix this!

UPS Lifer

We are not going to Maui this year. My wife and I started a real estate business and you can't be away for too long besides... the costs to stay a month are staggering. We have gone to Maui for 4 weeks the last 10 years. Up until I retired, we would go 2x a year for 2 weeks at a time. I figured out the cost not counting food (you have to eat anywhere you go) or buying stuff, which we all do when we are on vacation. Because I own 2 weeks with ability to lock off the 2nd bedroom for another 2 weeks, I save about $7000 to 11,000 in hotel room charges. However, I do have to pay for association fees or resort fees. The lowest I have paid for 28 days and ocean front suites is around $239/day and the highest I paid was about $357/day including airfare and car rental.

If we only go for 2 weeks in future years, the cost should be dramatically reduced. I will rent out the ocean front lockout rooms - the car rental should be about $35/day and the only other cost is airfare - a high would be around $142/day. Renting the lockouts will pay for the resort fees. For 2 weeks the cost per day will be less than $177/day especially if the airfare is cheaper.

I love the Hawaiian islands and consider myself very fortunate to live where I live. You can still get a direct flight out of Phoenix to Maui but the cost goes up and the time lost flying makes Maui less attractive travelers who live further east.

moreluck

golden ticket member
That's like Ko'Olina too. We don't do timeshares....we can stay in the nice suites like a hotel. Usually around $300-$350 a night....that's why the parking charge gets to me. You have to rent a car to get around there.

Not being part of the timeshare is a good thing to me.....no fees to be paid all year when you are not even there. No blackout dates.....I can go to Ko'Olina over Christmas (and have). The owners are blocked out at that time.

There are flights out of JWA....but from what I understand (unless it's changed) just certain times of the year. I hate having to go to L.A.X. At least a few of us neighbors have been taking turns driving each other to LAX when needed.

I think shopping for travel packages (flight, hotel)no, nothing all-inclusive!! you can find good deals too. AND, if you eat at Zippy's twice a day, your food budget is minimal. Teri-beef on fresh cabbage....yummy!! They make a charbrolied burger patty to go with your eggs at breakfast that will knock your socks off!! I'm totally satisfied eating there. I've done the Black Orchid and Roy's and don't appreciate the upper end stuff and don't EVEN show me fish-anything.

I really missed going there....last Christmas we flew the family here for Christmas (2010)

For the life of me I have never understood timeshares and we've gone to tons of presentations to get the free gifts.

I'm too spontaneous. I may not want to vacation the same place all the time. I know you can do trades, but I want my calendar to 'rule', not somebody else's.

Basically I'm spoiled and want my plans my way!

over9five

Staff member

Very interesting stuff as I get ready to cruise. Mom has already emailed me worried about this. Did you know soap and water, and even alcohol hand cleaner will not kill it? Your best bet is to "dislodge it" with soap and water.
Another link to the CDC shows that Carnival has not had an occurrence of it in a couple years.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Very interesting stuff as I get ready to cruise. Mom has already emailed me worried about this. Did you know soap and water, and even alcohol hand cleaner will not kill it? Your best bet is to "dislodge it" with soap and water.
Another link to the CDC shows that Carnival has not had an occurrence of it in a couple years.
Like the Jewish mother would say....."So, they're due!"

Just wanting you to be informed, cause your right as a passenger sure sucks.
If somebody coughs, just walk the other way!!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If you ever get the chance, go to Biltmore, the largest private home ever built in America. Took a thousand men, five years to build. They built a spur rail line to the site to transport materials. The setting is absolutely beautiful. (120,000 acres of beautiful) Olmsted, the man who designed Central Park did the landscaping plan for Biltmore.
I've been to Hearst Castle when I was young. I'd love to go see it again and would love to see Biltmore.

old levi's

blank space
biltmore-house-theresa-diehl.jpg
biltmore-house-theresa-diehl.jpg