Arrival time/Start time

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Since the members are the union it would be up to the members to put pen to paper to make sure the company complies with the contract.

I would like to see the elected reps do more overseeing instead of just making a center appearance 20 minutes before the start time. The company audits us all the time. Why not set up union audits?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would like to see the elected reps do more overseeing instead of just making a center appearance 20 minutes before the start time. The company audits us all the time. Why not set up union audits?

Our local covers a large geographical area and represents many employers; yes, UPS is the largest, but each member deserves equal representation regardless of the size of their employer. We have one BA and two business officers----there is no way that they could effectively monitor the activities in the 3 UPS centers in our local on a daily basis.

I will admit that the union has a weak presence in our center. It is not uncommon to find drivers in their cars 30-45 minutes (or more) before start time. The PT sups are good about not doing union work but do lend a hand closer to driver start time. Most of the guys turn a blind eye to contract violations, preferring to do their work and go home. Our shop steward went to feeders so right now we do not have a FT pkg shop steward.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Our local covers a large geographical area and represents many employers; yes, UPS is the largest, but each member deserves equal representation regardless of the size of their employer. We have one BA and two business officers----there is no way that they could effectively monitor the activities in the 3 UPS centers in our local on a daily basis.

I will admit that the union has a weak presence in our center. It is not uncommon to find drivers in their cars 30-45 minutes (or more) before start time. The PT sups are good about not doing union work but do lend a hand closer to driver start time. Most of the guys turn a blind eye to contract violations, preferring to do their work and go home. Our shop steward went to feeders so right now we do not have a FT pkg shop steward.

Why don't you step up to the plate, Dave?

F

FrigidAdCorrector

That's part of the problem. I could place a safe bet most don't even know who the steward is. Just look at all the part time sups working in the hub. It's a big part of the work force.
I'm the only guy on my sort who knows who the steward is, and I'm a supervisor.

chris9834

At my location, we're told start time is at like 6:30, 6:45 or 7:00. However, rarely is start time reflected on the schedule. Work starts at 6:45 but my schedule says 7. Should I talk to someone about this or is this normal???
dont know about all locations but in my bldg when i was only in the hub if you have some seniority, they would put you on a staggard start time and it was 15 minute after the shift start time. im sure that is what your experiencing in your situation just ask your sup if thats whats going on. if not dont do anything till your on the clock make them change your start time in front of you. I asked them what the staggard start time was all about and they told me not all the work is there immediately at start time so there will be people without work for 15+ minutes. Hope this helps.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

dont know about all locations but in my bldg when i was only in the hub if you have some seniority, they would put you on a staggard start time and it was 15 minute after the shift start time. im sure that is what your experiencing in your situation just ask your sup if thats whats going on. if not dont do anything till your on the clock make them change your start time in front of you. I asked them what the staggard start time was all about and they told me not all the work is there immediately at start time so there will be people without work for 15+ minutes. Hope this helps.

Staggered starts make sense. Generally the unloaders will start 5-10 minutes earlier than the preloaders as it takes that long for the first wave of packages to be SPA'd and hit the belt.