Article 38 Concern

jack4ever

UPS4Lifer
We have an air driver, whose job was to get packages from drivers on the road, and then get them to the airport. This was a four hour part time job. About two weeks ago his job was suddenly changed, he now drives from our center to the airport and back (taking about 1 1/2 hours), and then for the rest of the night works on local sort. This is causing the least senior guy on local sort to be laid off.

I don't know for sure if UPS and the Teamsters made the agreement in the manner dictated by Article 38 or not, but I have a lot of doubts that they did, as it seems that management has been asking our part-time supervisor to make changes every week, so I really doubt the Local is aware of what is going on at all.

I understand that these are tough economic times, so the 45 day notice for an operational change may not be required, but I really don't want to see any of my friends get laid off.

This seems like a pretty big deal to me, and I'm just wandering what we should do? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jack

gandydancer

I'm not sure that this kind of change rises to what Article 38 is intended to address. That said, how are the air packages getting to the airport? Has a remote been set up? Where are you located and what contracts are you under?

jack4ever

UPS4Lifer
Two of the drivers now drive directly to the airport on their routes. The rest drop them off at the center before 5PM. We are in the West in Utah. We our under the national master, and the Western Region of Teamsters Supplemental Agreement. I'm not sure what Article 38 is supposed to address myself, which is why I am asking here.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
The part time air drivers come & go depending on the operational needs. My old center used to have 2 pm drivers who made p/u's and then ran shuttles to the airport. The pickups are now made by regular ground drivers.

Those 2 part time employees are long gone.

The air shuttles are now covered by the laid off full time drivers that also work the local sort to get as many hours as possible.