Article 6

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by hurricanegunner, May 17, 2009.

1. hurricanegunner

hurricanegunner UPSPoop

In our area, we have been told the company can force us to sign anything they want. The union has told us that Article 6 in the contract simply says that even though they make us sign, it does not mean we agree with it. Yet, I keep seeing posts from people who say they never sign anything. As anyone who works for this company knows, they come up with new nonsense everyday and want us to sign off on it. The only reason they want us to sign is so that they can use that signature so that they can discipline us at some point in the future. Any advice on how to get the union in this area to stand up for us?
  2. hurricanegunner

hurricanegunner UPSPoop

By the way, I have read Article 6, and I think it means we don't have to sign anything if we don't want to. But if the union won't back us up.....
  3. MonavieLeaker

MonavieLeaker Bringin Teh_Lulz

Get a better BA or steward
  4. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Eva Mendez Has A Nice (_!_)

I believe it (contract) states that anything you sign outside of the contract is null and void. So, basically the only thing you really have to sign is the DVR.
  5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

...and your paycheck.
  6. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

When you say "force" I picture a bunch of supes gathered around me trying to twist my arm. If this is what you mean, I would love to see them "force" me to sign anything. That being said, I sign nothing, and I mean good or bad, not even my paycheck, as I have Direct Deposit.:wink2:
  7. hurricanegunner

hurricanegunner UPSPoop

No, there's no physical cohersion. They just pass out their daily nonsense and tell us to sign it. If we refuse, they call us in the office and threaten us with termination for "failure to follow instructions." The shop stewards and even the union officials say they can do this. By the way, I have DD too and love it!
  8. bubsdad

bubsdad "Hang in there!"

You have the right to RTS anything. A steward will then sign it stating that you RTS'd it.
  9. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

You don't have to sign anything, hg, just refuse and let the Steward handle the rest. That, my friend, is the end of the story.
  10. hurricanegunner

hurricanegunner UPSPoop

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks to all.
  11. Braveheart

Braveheart New Member

A thousand phone calls to the local and national union headquarters will get some action. Fill up their voice mails!
  12. brown bomber

brown bomber brown bomber

what about if you receive training via your DIAD, as we do......does completion of such training equate to an "electronic signature" it the equivalent of an "electronic signature" for an online purchase or your online Federal tax return????

Just wondering
  13. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

Years ago, I had a co-worker who refused to sign everything.
    For a while they thought they had him ...Their clever idea was to have him sign a receipt for his paycheck. It did not work.
  14. Grampy

Grampy Junior Mint

I'm sure that is why they have started using the DIAD training, It gives them a record that we looked over and "passed" the test for that training set.
  15. 705red

705red Browncafe Steward

Why pass the test? They only ask you to take it!
  16. I never pass the DIAD training. Also, I will only sign the DVIR, and the DOT physical card. I don't even sign the end-of-day pickup summaries. UPS management will use anything you sign against you every time they have a chance. Being the steward in our center, I see it all the time. I try to encourage all of our guys to only sign DOT required materials and nothing else.
  17. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

OK, I'll bite--why don't you sign end of day summaries?
  18. guzzi71

guzzi71 Can do it when I get around to it.

Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Employer agrees
    not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its
    employees, either individually or collectively, or to require or attempt to
    require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively,
    which in any way conflicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such
    Agreement or document shall be null and void. The trick here is the conflicts with the agreement,make sure there are none.And always sign under protest
  19. I refuse to sign anything that is not required by the DOT no matter what it is.
  20. anonymous6

anonymous6 Guest

What about the paperwork after a ride along?