As A Stockholder I Propose........

Catatonic

Nine Lives
JMO -
It will be hard to do. Right now it is easy to buy and the Board will go along with it.
As the stock is bought back up, it will then become overvalued and the Board will be more resistant. This in combination with we don't have that kind of cash sitting around.
My take, no time soon if ever.
Smaller companies can go back private but a huge corporation like UPS is hard to do.

A

anonymous6

The company buy back all the stock and become private again.

I'm not sure the founders of this company would like the direction we have been going. Having to answer to shareholders. Too much emphasis on the bottom line.

Sure, you have to make a profit but if we were employee owned , i think it would be a more positive enviroment.

It feels like the "soul" has gone missing.

ih8tbrn

Banned
I'm not sure the founders of this country would like the direction we have been going. Having to answer to shareholders. Too much emphasis on the bottom line.

Sure, you have to make a profit but if we were employee owned , i think it would be a more positive environment.

It feels like the "soul" has gone missing.

evilleace

I would love it if UPS would go private again but I don't believe that will ever happen and both points are very true orangputeh and ih8tbrn.

tieguy

Banned
I think its a terrific thought but I think we've committed ourselves to the concept of selling our soul and there is no turning back. :happy-very:

Sammie

We don't learn.....

James Casey's most enduring legacy, even more so than his business achievements, is the work culture at UPS.

But that attitude was definitely shaped by what was perhaps the biggest threat UPS ever faced: Its abortive attempt to go public in 1929. There's little information on it, and Casey never liked discussing the move. "The arrangement did not work out entirely as contemplated" was about as expansive as he got, and UPS managers were able to recover all the stock by 1933. After that he routinely dismissed publicly traded companies as being owned by "absentee stockholders" and run by "hired men."

The Suits quit trying to get unobtainable B.S. numbers and do the job right!! What we do is in reality very simple, but the ones who should know how to run the tightest ship are putting every effort in trying to sink it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Do any of you think if the company was able to buy back all the stock and be private again, that anything would be different? There would still be the mgt vs. hourly attitude :clubbing:and nothing would change...you all be dreamin'!!!:crazy::crazy:Everybody needs to come back to reality.

Do any of you think if the company was able to buy back all the stock and be private again, that anything would be different? There would still be the mgt vs. hourly attitude :clubbing:and nothing would change...you all be dreamin'!!!:crazy::crazy:Everybody needs to come back to reality.
The US vs. Them existed before the company went public,so yes that would still be around. The difference would be evident that the company could plan for a year in advance instead of just three months. They wouldn't have to worry so much about a lower revenue during the natural slow parts of the year and rely on making up the slack in the next quarter.
You could be right that nothing would change at this point. Once the water has been contaminated you may never get it clean again.

rod

Retired 22 years
The US vs. Them existed before the company went public,so yes that would still be around. The difference would be evident that the company could plan for a year in advance instead of just three months. They wouldn't have to worry so much about a lower revenue during the natural slow parts of the year and rely on making up the slack in the next quarter.
You could be right that nothing would change at this point. Once the water has been contaminated you may never get it clean again.

I enjoyed it more when it was US vs. them instead of they way it turned to THEM vs. us.:wink2:

tieguy

Banned
Tie---are you in there tonight???

The old ups that was private was more family and or teamwork oriented following the teachings of visionary Jim Casey. GRHS.

This one is now run by an outsider and the concepts of casey sit in a dusty box in the retention room.

I think I've been fairly consistent on that point here.

8up

i've heard that part of the reason for going public was to stave off a proposed lawsuit by some very large tie retirees who were threatening to sue because the value of the stock was grossly undervalued. by going public the market set the value of the stock rather than the management committee. as we all saw the value jumped up immediately on opening day proving the retirees correct and that benefited both former & current mgmt.

i've also heard that the largest percentage of shares is still controlled by UPS management, either directly or indirectly and as trustees of the Ann E Casey foundation. not to mention the way the voting of shares was established between the A & B shares, this keeps the control in the hands of the mgmt. team in Atlanta.

can anyone concur on either of these items?

i've heard that part of the reason for going public was to stave off a proposed lawsuit by some very large tie retirees who were threatening to sue because the value of the stock was grossly undervalued. by going public the market set the value of the stock rather than the management committee. as we all saw the value jumped up immediately on opening day proving the retirees correct and that benefited both former & current mgmt.
This doesn't make any sense to me, the (before going public) value for stock was controlled by UPS, but was the same for everyone. I don't see any basis for a law suit.
The opening day price for UPS was so high because the market had some crazy idea that owning UPS stock would be like owning gold. For weeks before the opening day, I had many customers telling me that they were planning on investing heavily in our stocks.

i've also heard that the largest percentage of shares is still controlled by UPS management, either directly or indirectly and as trustees of the Ann E Casey foundation. not to mention the way the voting of shares was established between the A & B shares, this keeps the control in the hands of the mgmt. team in Atlanta.

I got nothing.

tieguy

Banned

The retiree lawsuit was on how ups valued the stock while it was private. If we lose that one then we would have had to use some other basis to value the stock. It would not have forced us public.

annie casey is completely seperate from ups and thus not management controlled.

The awarding of A shares does keep management in control of the company. A shares essentially give management 10 votes for every B share. B shares are publicly traded shares.