Non sequitur

I got a brake check instructions handout which I believe has some wrong info. It says to test trailer brake during pretrip have yellow valve in red out and then tug test. For trailer spring brakes yellow in red in handvalve applied then tug test. Isn't that ass backward.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I got a brake check instructions handout which I believe has some wrong info. It says to test trailer brake during pretrip have yellow valve in red out and then tug test. For trailer spring brakes yellow in red in handvalve applied then tug test. Isn't that ass backward.
Yes its backwards

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Not going by any handout, but:
  • Yellow in, red out: tug test checks trailer spring brakes.
  • Yellow in, red in, hand valve applied (down): trailer spring brakes are released and trailer service brakes are applied and should resist/hold on tug test.
So, yes, it sounds like your handout is incorrect. Good catch.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i had an onroad tell me to move the tractor forward and then hit foot brake and THEN do the tug test.

i politely told him it was the other way around.

good catch driver.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Ja, I must admit I'm not quite sure what would need to be moved in truckload quantity for any significant distance. But then again, I have local distributors (bottlers) in my area.

Then again, I've seen the syrup concentrate delivered by us to retail establishments; which had me wondering if that was costing beverage Teamster jobs. Even had a big strike here a few months ago.

I can elaborate on some behind the scenes political infighting by private conversation, if anyone's interested.

barnyard

KTM rider
They are gonna wish they were organized if we start taking their work.

Again, in my area, they are not paid that well and have significant turnover. I sincerely doubt they give a rip.

This is a situation that could create more work for UPS people. Be happy for that.

MoarTape

Again, in my area, they are not paid that well and have significant turnover. I sincerely doubt they give a rip.

This is a situation that could create more work for UPS people. Be happy for that.

We got one job from it and our POS dispatch manager gave it to an extended center.

barnyard

KTM rider
Hey now, let's not go disparaging our brothers at the extended centers.

No kidding.

When I started, my extended center had 9 feeder jobs. 5 of them were moved to the hub after the bid holders retired. It is doubtful that I will ever have the opportunity to bid on a FT feeder job at my center because of that.

barnyard

KTM rider
Can you follow the work?

When the work left, I was still a preloader. There has been talk of moving 2 of our package routes to the closest hub. I could follow one of those and then work out of that hub until the annual feeder bid. I suspect that after the annual bid I would be bumped to the farthest hub from my house.

The closest hub is a long hour from my house. I do not want that long of a commute and we are not moving closer.

MoarTape

Hey now, let's not go disparaging our brothers at the extended centers.

I'm not. I'm disparaging our POS dispatch manager. The job is less than a mile from the hub. Basically have to babysit a load while it's unloaded, which takes 4 - 5 hours. I wouldn't care if it was in the center's area, but it isn't.