trickpony1

lowats-
Sounds to me like you should be the least nervous in your class.
They expect you to be slow and nervous. Take a deep breath and think about what you're doing when driving a LCV.
You're already halfway through the hard part by having your class A CDL. I would be sure to keep your hazmat endorsement current even though we don't need it.

Don't get cocky or over confident......just enjoy the ride.
You're blessed that you didn't spend 15-20 years getting hammered in pkg cars.
Good luck.

trickpony1

lowats-
Be aware that you will be working nights for a long time.
You didn't mention how big your building/hub is so.....without getting specific, does it look like some feeder drivers might be retiring after the first of next year?

UPS4Life

So i finally made the cut for feeders, i start class monday.
just some background info, I've worked for ups 4 years, been doing saturday air for about 4 months. i already have my CDL (had it approximately 1yr 2months) with Doubles/Triples, Tankers, & hazmat. i drove semis part time for another company for 6 months. then went into delivery for another company part time(however it was just 26' box trucks). i still need practice backing up and I'm pretty nervous to start feeders...
can anyone give a 22yr old advice on what has helped you over the years? any advice is appreciated

thank you :)
You're new so like the previous poster said take it slow. We check double check and triple check things. Everyday you do a very thorough pretrip. You will learn but everything they teach you is the "ups way" and the way they want it done. I'm not saying forget everything you learned before but go in with an open mind. With your experience you should have the driving part down pat [emoji106]. Take your time don't rush, safety is key and don't be afraid to ask questions. Feel free to post any questions you may have. Good luck and congrats!

lowats

trickpony1

yeah i know ill be on nights for quite a while.
My hub is the largest hub in indiana, if that gives you a hint...im unsure when feeders will be retiring but I've heard anyday like 40 of our feeders could retire. & i believe I've been told we have 300+ feeders in my building if i recall...could be wrong though

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Take everything they say serious, don't say yah ok I know ! They don't want know it alls , like mentioned you do it the ups way !! Try to teach yourself to not be looking down at the hood !! You don't do it in the car , remember to constantly check the mirrors , the most single Important part of the pretrip is checking that king pin !!!! If in doub get out and check again !!! King pin and don't be a know it all ..... You'll be fine !! Good luck & keep us informed of how it goes !!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I carry a back pack that I leave in my locker. In that bag I have:

Maps and map book
High visibility vest (req at railyard)
Gloves
Various size zip ties
Phone charger and auxiliary cord
First aid kit
Small hand towel
Eye drops(for contacts)
Notepad
Extra pens
Copy of contract for those silly managers
A cheat sheet for building and cpu ELOC codes
Flashlight.
UPS paper time card
DOT log book

That's just the back pack. I also carry a gallon of water, pillow to sleep on meal, and a quality pocket knife. I'm on vacation cover and visit a lot of places at night where I'm the only one there so I actually use all that stuff fairly regularly
What does eloc stand for??

moldsporh

Go slow and watch your following distance.

If you follow close, everyone sees you and you will eventually be spoken with.

Following distance and sleep is king......just not at the same time....ha.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Go slow and watch your following distance.

If you follow close, everyone sees you and you will eventually be spoken with.

Following distance and sleep is king......just not at the same time....ha.
that's good advice about following distance. it takes a lot of practice to increase following distance but after awhile it becomes natural.

a lot of people make fun of the five seeing habits and the 10 point commentary but they really do work and make you a safer driver. once in awhile , usually during city driving. i would say them out loud and practice them to keep sharp.

i believe in them so much that I taught them to my grown children while riding along with them. it was eye opening since they all following too close and hardly observed any of the other points.

TTIMMAAYY

Since we don't have our own section I thought I would post this for anyone with Feeder questions.

What's our schedule like? What did it take to qualify? Why do we get so fat? How do we stay awake on the road? What does the Dispatcher do? What do the On-roads do? Why does the Company subcontract Feeder work? What is the pay like? What do mileage runs pay? What's a layover? What's a gladhand? What's a button hook? Why are you guys so slow on the road? What happens in high winds/snow/hard rain/if you hit a deer?

Any question is up for discussion. If you need specific information to your area be sure to post where that is as Feeder work rules vary quite a bit by location (and we are always arguing about the work rules).

If you're in Feeders, sound off. If you are in Feeder Management or Dispatch you are welcome too and lets have some respectful discussion.
A few months ago,4 days into my training,my trainer pulled me out and said he wasn't 100% sure I would be ready for production and that I'd be better off signing next bid and also said he wouldn't DQ me.I understand there is a waiting period for those who fail their training.My question is,"Is there a waiting period for those like my situation?" Just signed bid (2nd time)someone with less seniority was called..Could I be in waiting period? Stockton,ca local sort p/t 10 yrs. local439

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
A few months ago,4 days into my training,my trainer pulled me out and said he wasn't 100% sure I would be ready for production and that I'd be better off signing next bid and also said he wouldn't DQ me.I understand there is a waiting period for those who fail their training.My question is,"Is there a waiting period for those like my situation?" Just signed bid (2nd time)someone with less seniority was called..Could I be in waiting period? Stockton,ca local sort p/t 10 yrs. local439
1 year if you dq yourself. Never dq yourself. Let them dq you if they feel you are not ready. Honestly if your not ready its probably because of poor / lack of training.

DC7

The Brown Hole
I just got qualified but am having a hard time picking up all the codes and figuring out how to use that computer in the truck. Like as soon as I arrive at a terminal I'm supposed to go to other work right ?

rod

Retired 22 years
that's good advice about following distance. it takes a lot of practice to increase following distance but after awhile it becomes natural.

a lot of people make fun of the five seeing habits and the 10 point commentary but they really do work and make you a safer driver. once in awhile , usually during city driving. i would say them out loud and practice them to keep sharp.

i believe in them so much that I taught them to my grown children while riding along with them. it was eye opening since they all following too close and hardly observed any of the other points.

I still use the 5 seeing habits all these years later. Especially when on the motorcycle. Leaving myself an out and getting the big picture has saved my butt a few times.