Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Question for other hub feeder drivers...

If you are on the extra board (vacation coverage) and there aren't enough vacations to fill can you bump the lowest seniority bid run?

Where I am, yes. As long as you have more seniority.

If you don't have more seniority, you are laid off for lack of work and then lay off language can come I to play.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day

If you are on the extra board (vacation coverage) and there aren't enough vacations to fill can you bump the lowest seniority bid run?
On the extra board you can only bump lower full time seniority drivers. They would be placed on call and their run woild be placed on the extra board. you could bid on their run off the extra board
You can only bump based on feeder bid seniority if your bid run is permanent cut/changed.
If you are on call you can do a statewide bump according to the local supplement language

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Question ... Was taking a set somewhere the other day and stopped at a rest area and noticed the snubber wasn't engaged, even though I had it on while hooking up. So I pushed the snubber button to get it working and took off. Got to TA and unhooking set and the snubber wasn't engaged again....what would cause this because I had absolutely no issues with air pressure anytime during the trip..both pri and sec air was at 125 the whole time...any reason for this ????

barnyard

KTM rider
Some snubbers are 'delicate' and pop off if you hit a bump. Last year, it seemed that I had a lot of snubbers that would not hold. Another driver said that if you engage the snubber and give the knob a little twist, many times that will fix it. I got into the habit of always doing it and have not had a snubber pop since.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Some snubbers are 'delicate' and pop off if you hit a bump. Last year, it seemed that I had a lot of snubbers that would not hold. Another driver said that if you engage the snubber and give the knob a little twist, many times that will fix it. I got into the habit of always doing it and have not had a snubber pop since.
Good tip.. Will try that. Thanks

UPS4Life

Where I am in he scenario you gave you would be placed on call and called throughout the day in seniority order for call offs, extra jobs or even personal days. I don't personally don't think it's right that you could bump somebody off their bid for the week. You picked to go on the extra board. I'm sure there are many different scenarios across the country this is my take based off how we do it where I'm at.

Brown Now

Question ... Was taking a set somewhere the other day and stopped at a rest area and noticed the snubber wasn't engaged, even though I had it on while hooking up. So I pushed the snubber button to get it working and took off. Got to TA and unhooking set and the snubber wasn't engaged again....what would cause this because I had absolutely no issues with air pressure anytime during the trip..both pri and sec air was at 125 the whole time...any reason for this ????
Some snubbers disengage if the trailer brakes are set. If I'm stopping for just a few minutes and I'm on level ground, I only set the tractor brakes. I've seen this on older trailers as well as the brand new ones being delivered now. Why, I can't exactly tell you, but it does happen occasionally. FYI, in cold weather I ONLY set the tractor brakes.

I meet a driver at a T/A point and switch out. In cold weather I keep air going through the trailers until he arrives and we both are getting ready to drop out. I've had trailer brakes freeze up in a matter of minutes and had to call a service. It of course was very cold and the roads were slushy. Unless you're on a pretty good hill, you only have to set your tractor brakes.

trickpony1

I've had trailer brakes freeze up in a matter of minutes and had to call a service. It of course was very cold and the roads were slushy.

If the TA point is large enough, drive around while "feathering" your hand lever. This gently applies the trailer brakes, heats them up, dries them out and prevents the pad from freezing to the drum.

I do this at trailer swaps for customer loads also.

But what could I know......

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If the TA point is large enough, drive around while "feathering" your hand lever. This gently applies the trailer brakes, heats them up, dries them out and prevents the pad from freezing to the drum.

I do this at trailer swaps for customer loads also.

But what could I know......
How far are you pushing the hand break down when feathering it ???

trickpony1

How far are you pushing the hand break down when feathering it ???

Enough to feel a "drag" but keep the wheels rolling so heat is created HENCE drying the pads and drums.

Don't just pull it down and leave it down. "Exercise" it by slowing bringing it down just a bit, hold for 6-8 seconds while feeling the drag and allowing the wheels to continue turning then release.

Repeat.

Practice this in the yard now so you'll know what it feels like.

trickpony1

If we had a little more info it would help.
-Seasonal or full time?
-UPS Freight or Feeder (small package)
-Are you currently employed by UPS?
-do you have a Class A CDL?

Help us help you.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Some snubbers disengage if the trailer brakes are set. If I'm stopping for just a few minutes and I'm on level ground, I only set the tractor brakes. I've seen this on older trailers as well as the brand new ones being delivered now. Why, I can't exactly tell you, but it does happen occasionally. FYI, in cold weather I ONLY set the tractor brakes.

I meet a driver at a T/A point and switch out. In cold weather I keep air going through the trailers until he arrives and we both are getting ready to drop out. I've had trailer brakes freeze up in a matter of minutes and had to call a service. It of course was very cold and the roads were slushy. Unless you're on a pretty good hill, you only have to set your tractor brakes.

We've always been trained to keep the air into the trailer brakes. But sometimes in the snow, brakes will just freeze no matter what you do. That's when you've got to get wet and dirty. The only thing that will release the brakes is getting a hammer or the hand end of your pin puller and thump the brake shoes until the release. OR, if another trucker with a hook and a chain can jerk and pull you until they release, that works too. That worked for me once.

As far as the snubber goes, some trailers have leaks in the line, and there is nothing will prevent the plunger from releasing. Some mechanics will deal with it, but since it's not a DOT requirement, good luck with that. It's not a safety issue, just an annoyance. That's just my experience.

Brown Now

Does Freight have a barn in Sharonville? I know we have a package hub there. I think that he said feeder tells us that it's package.

jaker

trolling
Just passed my training and on my own , looking forward to being in feeder

It's a lot to take in on such a short training , but I know the training has just begun

Brown Now

I had three new ones just this week. The middle trailers snubber would disengage any time the brakes were set. The other two would not. Like I said in the previous post, I never set the trailer brakes when parking, just the tractor.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1473565166.680326.jpg

Brown Now

The one time I froze up at my T/A it turned out to be in the air line on the trailer itself and not the shoes freezing to the drum. It was the trailers my meet driver brought me. He was dropped and I hooked up in minutes and it froze. It was frigging cold that night. Service went through a whole bottle of de-icer to no avail. I left with just two. Automotive told me they sent someone by about an hour later and it finally made its way through the lines and released. Didn't make sunrise sort though[emoji51]

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I had three new ones just this week. The middle trailers snubber would disengage any time the brakes were set. The other two would not. Like I said in the previous post, I never set the trailer brakes when parking, just the tractor. View attachment 96124

I can't stand these new trailers. They're not designed for a proper pretrip. You can barely check that the fifth wheel is locked. You can't check between the tires. You can't check your leaf springs. You can't check the brake chambers. You can't check the welds on the air tank. You can't see the inside of the brake drums. You can barely thump the tires...all things that we're supposed to do.

Brown Now

That's the tree hungers for ya. I agree with you. I'm not sticking my head between that skirt and the tires. Lucky I can reach my arm in there to tug the air cord.

Brown Now

Just passed my training and on my own , looking forward to being in feeder

It's a lot to take in on such a short training , but I know the training has just begun
Since no one has said it yet, this is total opposite of package car to a point. In feeder you take your time. Proper pretrip, all numbers match, everything is how it should be. If you do road runs, you don't want to be breaking down out on the interstate. You don't want to get the call to check your trailer numbers because they believe you pulled the wrong trailer. Just say to yourself "I am the captain now" [emoji1]