Coldworld

60 months and counting
We've always been trained to keep the air into the trailer brakes. But sometimes in the snow, brakes will just freeze no matter what you do. That's when you've got to get wet and dirty. The only thing that will release the brakes is getting a hammer or the hand end of your pin puller and thump the brake shoes until the release. OR, if another trucker with a hook and a chain can jerk and pull you until they release, that works too. That worked for me once.

As far as the snubber goes, some trailers have leaks in the line, and there is nothing will prevent the plunger from releasing. Some mechanics will deal with it, but since it's not a DOT requirement, good luck with that. It's not a safety issue, just an annoyance. That's just my experience.
is there anything you can spray on the break pads to help release them??? Do you bang on the sides of the pads or on top of them?? I've also had it when the snubber won't release after I've made a trip and I'm breaking up a set...tried to get the crowbar in there to help it release but it didn't help, i don't remember how i finally got it to release

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I had three new ones just this week. The middle trailers snubber would disengage any time the brakes were set. The other two would not. Like I said in the previous post, I never set the trailer brakes when parking, just the tractor. View attachment 96124
So did you drive with the middle box unsnubbed??? Is it required by the dot, could you get fined at the scales??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Just passed my training and on my own , looking forward to being in feeder

It's a lot to take in on such a short training , but I know the training has just begun
Ha.. You will learn 90% from being in the yard and figuring it out yourself and asking questions to fellow drivers

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That's the tree hungers for ya. I agree with you. I'm not sticking my head between that skirt and the tires. Lucky I can reach my arm in there to tug the air cord.
How are you suppose to get in there to check the break pads and airlines into the break chambers.. It's almost impossible..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Since no one has said it yet, this is total opposite of package car to a point. In feeder you take your time. Proper pretrip, all numbers match, everything is how it should be. If you do road runs, you don't want to be breaking down out on the interstate. You don't want to get the call to check your trailer numbers because they believe you pulled the wrong trailer. Just say to yourself "I am the captain now" [emoji1]
And trailers get pulled to the wrong location more than you think... I had to go take wrong location trailers to the right hub 2 times in a 6 month period, so it does happen...and don't get frustrated because they want a pretrip on a rig and 2 trailers and a dolly then to hook them up and be out bounding in like 30 minutes...lol.. Take your time because you will miss something...I almost drove out with the landing gear down when I first started, luckily there was someone who happen to see it and started screaming for me to stop...I will check the chains, airlines, snubber, pretty much everything between the first and second box twice... Once when I'm hooking and a second time as I come up the drivers side. I figure if I screw something up it will be in that general area..

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
is there anything you can spray on the break pads to help release them??? Do you bang on the sides of the pads or on top of them?? I've also had it when the snubber won't release after I've made a trip and I'm breaking up a set...tried to get the crowbar in there to help it release but it didn't help, i don't remember how i finally got it to release

You bang on the drums and the pads. Whatever works. Don't candy-ash it either. You're not gonna break them. It ain't fun, because usually if they're stuck, it's because it's cold and wet. So you have to crawl under the trailers or tractor, and in the process you get wet. Sometimes it takes a lot of banging, too.

In my experience, the plunger almost always releases from the dolly when you are disconnecting. But the few times where the plunger doesn't release completely, and the hook won't release from the hitch, grab the hook end of your pin puller and use some leverage of the pin and corner of the hitch to push the plunger back in. That's always worked for me. It might bend the puller a little bit, but that can be bent back. Also, before you do that, trying engaging and releasing the plunger again. If nothing else, this will tell you if you need the pin puller trick.

And make sure you red tag the trailer when you're done. There is nothing more irritating to a feeder driver than a lazy, POS driver who passes his problem on to the next driver.

Dracula

That's the tree hungers for ya. I agree with you. I'm not sticking my head between that skirt and the tires. Lucky I can reach my arm in there to tug the air cord.

I take my pre-trip seriously. Most drivers don't do as much as I do. But I do everything the DOT rulebook says, and more stuff I've learned to do out of necessity. Through my experience and advice I've received from elders, I've learned things can get complicated real fast.

A few examples:

In my first year, I visually inspected the air chambers on a trailer, and they were fine. What I didn't see, was a crack on the bracket holding one of the chambers onto the axle. When I was post-tripping upon my arrival at the destination hub, I saw one of those brake chambers was barely hanging onto the axle. I wrote it up, and went to the shop to ask the mechanic about it. I asked him what could happen if that chamber fell off. He laughed, and said, "How do you like driving with locked up brakes?" From that point on, I always give all of the brake chambers-including the smaller ones on the dolly-a good tap with my sledgehammer. And the only way you can do that is by reaching or crawling under there. Same thing with the leaf springs.

We had a driver get written up because he brought a trailer to a meet, and the other driver, while pre-tripping, noticed the steel bracket holding the on air tank had a big crack in it. That driver refused to take the trailer--rightly so--and the trailer had to be off-loaded to another trailer. The first driver was written up for not seeing the crack in his pre-trip. End result? I also look and give the brackets a good tap with my hammer.

Another driver was pre-tripping a dolly and he noticed the U brackets holding the springs to the axle were missing several nuts holding the U brackets in place. If those brackets would have come loose, it would have been a major problem for that driver. I now look at that too.

I used to have an old 264XXX Mack tractor, and while pre-tripping it, I noticed one of the shocks on the drive axle was only connected at the top. It was hanging straight down. At some point, the bolt holding the shock to the frame on the bottom came off. End result? I had to get another tractor, and now I give all of the shocks a good tap with my hammer.

I was being given a hard time from an on-road sup about the time it took (takes) me to pre-trip one night, and while I was bending under the axles of my twin screw to check the inside of the wheels for any problems, he told me that I didn't need to check there. I insisted I did. He kind of bristled, but I kept doing it. Not two or three weeks later, while doing this, I noticed hub oil leaking from one of the wheels. I would have never noticed that if I didn't get down there and check. I had to get another tractor, and the mechanics told me it was a good thing I noticed it on-property instead of on the road, because it likely would have resulted in a hub/axle failure. I wouldn't want to know how that might have ended.

Another driver, in a different hub was written up for not noticing that the A-frame assembly that attaches to the legs of the trailer had a large crack that made the legs wobbly. That should have pretty easy to spot, but few drivers check that. I make a point of it.

One other thing a LOT of drivers fail to check are the air lines connecting the dolly to the front box, especially that red hose. If that red hose blow, all of the wheels behind that point stop spinning. It drives me nuts how many dollies I get have pinched hoses. It drives me nuts because this can almost always be avoided by tucking the hoses away when you are backing the front box to the dolly or when you are done using the dolly, but mostly because--again--the lazy driver fails to red tag a pinched hose. Even though I make a lot of money on breakdown time, it bugs me drivers can't be bothered by taking a little extra time doing the job right.

By the way, I said I used to get a lot of flack for how long it takes me to pre-trip. I should mention it doesn't take me that long to do my pre-trip. Pre-tripping trailers varies quite a bit due to all of the extra factors involved, like waiting on doors, not having a seal in the trailer, or the load not being secured with a strap or load bar or traffic in the yard. All of this goes against your leave time, and can flag you as leaving late, but is usually beyond my control. But almost without failure, it takes me about 15 minutes from my start time to when I get the tractor moving. According to UPS, this is 5 to 6 minutes too long. But interestingly, every on-road sup says I have a spot-on routine, when they walk with me.

The new trailers have caused some friction between me and the sups because the set-up prevents me from doing what I need to do, and when I bring it up, they don't have an answer for me. I know those new skirts are required in some states, and they are moving to make them fleet wide for fuel efficiency, but the fact is, they make a proper inspection hard, if not impossible. And while these trailers are new, and aren't likely to run into problems for a while, they won't stay young forever. Then what?

One last thing about the new trailers: one of the most important things we check when hooking up, is checking that the ring or lock is engaged around the pin of the trailer at the fifth wheel. Those skirts make that nearly impossible to check, especially if you drive a twin screw. The only way to check it now is to hook up your tractor at an angle where the mouth of the fifth wheel faces out towards the side of the trailer. Most of us haven't learned that yet, because it goes against everything we've ever done or been taught before.

But I'm rambling. The point I'm making about a good pre-trip is that my examples are things you may ever experience. They are rare. But stuff happens. The way you notice them, before they cause you problems, is by doing a thorough check and make it part of your daily routine, in all conditions. It doesn't take much longer than any other pre-trip, and I can do it in my sleep. But that's why I'm the guy doing things a lot of drivers don't do, or think to.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I take my pre-trip seriously. Most drivers don't do as much as I do. But I do everything the DOT rulebook says, and more stuff I've learned to do out of necessity. Through my experience and advice I've received from elders, I've learned things can get complicated real fast.

A few examples:

In my first year, I visually inspected the air chambers on a trailer, and they were fine. What I didn't see, was a crack on the bracket holding one of the chambers onto the axle. When I was post-tripping upon my arrival at the destination hub, I saw one of those brake chambers was barely hanging onto the axle. I wrote it up, and went to the shop to ask the mechanic about it. I asked him what could happen if that chamber fell off. He laughed, and said, "How do you like driving with locked up brakes?" From that point on, I always give all of the brake chambers-including the smaller ones on the dolly-a good tap with my sledgehammer. And the only way you can do that is by reaching or crawling under there. Same thing with the leaf springs.

We had a driver get written up because he brought a trailer to a meet, and the other driver, while pre-tripping, noticed the steel bracket holding the on air tank had a big crack in it. That driver refused to take the trailer--rightly so--and the trailer had to be off-loaded to another trailer. The first driver was written up for not seeing the crack in his pre-trip. End result? I also look and give the brackets a good tap with my hammer.

Another driver was pre-tripping a dolly and he noticed the U brackets holding the springs to the axle were missing several nuts holding the U brackets in place. If those brackets would have come loose, it would have been a major problem for that driver. I now look at that too.

I used to have an old 264XXX Mack tractor, and while pre-tripping it, I noticed one of the shocks on the drive axle was only connected at the top. It was hanging straight down. At some point, the bolt holding the shock to the frame on the bottom came off. End result? I had to get another tractor, and now I give all of the shocks a good tap with my hammer.

I was being given a hard time from an on-road sup about the time it took (takes) me to pre-trip one night, and while I was bending under the axles of my twin screw to check the inside of the wheels for any problems, he told me that I didn't need to check there. I insisted I did. He kind of bristled, but I kept doing it. Not two or three weeks later, while doing this, I noticed hub oil leaking from one of the wheels. I would have never noticed that if I didn't get down there and check. I had to get another tractor, and the mechanics told me it was a good thing I noticed it on-property instead of on the road, because it likely would have resulted in a hub/axle failure. I wouldn't want to know how that might have ended.

Another driver, in a different hub was written up for not noticing that the A-frame assembly that attaches to the legs of the trailer had a large crack that made the legs wobbly. That should have pretty easy to spot, but few drivers check that. I make a point of it.

One other thing a LOT of drivers fail to check are the air lines connecting the dolly to the front box, especially that red hose. If that red hose blow, all of the wheels behind that point stop spinning. It drives me nuts how many dollies I get have pinched hoses. It drives me nuts because this can almost always be avoided by tucking the hoses away when you are backing the front box to the dolly or when you are done using the dolly, but mostly because--again--the lazy driver fails to red tag a pinched hose. Even though I make a lot of money on breakdown time, it bugs me drivers can't be bothered by taking a little extra time doing the job right.

By the way, I said I used to get a lot of flack for how long it takes me to pre-trip. I should mention it doesn't take me that long to do my pre-trip. Pre-tripping trailers varies quite a bit due to all of the extra factors involved, like waiting on doors, not having a seal in the trailer, or the load not being secured with a strap or load bar or traffic in the yard. All of this goes against your leave time, and can flag you as leaving late, but is usually beyond my control. But almost without failure, it takes me about 15 minutes from my start time to when I get the tractor moving. According to UPS, this is 5 to 6 minutes too long. But interestingly, every on-road sup says I have a spot-on routine, when they walk with me.

The new trailers have caused some friction between me and the sups because the set-up prevents me from doing what I need to do, and when I bring it up, they don't have an answer for me. I know those new skirts are required in some states, and they are moving to make them fleet wide for fuel efficiency, but the fact is, they make a proper inspection hard, if not impossible. And while these trailers are new, and aren't likely to run into problems for a while, they won't stay young forever. Then what?

One last thing about the new trailers: one of the most important things we check when hooking up, is checking that the ring or lock is engaged around the pin of the trailer at the fifth wheel. Those skirts make that nearly impossible to check, especially if you drive a twin screw. The only way to check it now is to hook up your tractor at an angle where the mouth of the fifth wheel faces out towards the side of the trailer. Most of us haven't learned that yet, because it goes against everything we've ever done or been taught before.

But I'm rambling. The point I'm making about a good pre-trip is that my examples are things you may ever experience. They are rare. But stuff happens. The way you notice them, before they cause you problems, is by doing a thorough check and make it part of your daily routine, in all conditions. It doesn't take much longer than any other pre-trip, and I can do it in my sleep. But that's why I'm the guy doing things a lot of drivers don't do, or think to.
Good info thanks... It's too bad that the first 1/3 of the skirt doesn't fold open so you can get under the trailer and then clamp it back in place... Have it fold out on hinges... Wouldn't be that hard to design something like that.

barnyard

KTM rider
The last week I did a run, I had a skirted trailer and thought, how the heck am I supposed to pretrip that?? It was a nice night, so I crawled under, checked the jaws on the pin, crawled to the back and checked the brakes and springs, crawled back out. Not entirely sure that I would have done that in the winter.....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The last week I did a run, I had a skirted trailer and thought, how the heck am I supposed to pretrip that?? It was a nice night, so I crawled under, checked the jaws on the pin, crawled to the back and checked the brakes and springs, crawled back out. Not entirely sure that I would have done that in the winter.....
Really critical that you have the brakes on in this situation...

barnyard

KTM rider
I have the tractor brake set and the hand valve down. When I walk around the trailer, I open both valves on the back of the trailer. If there is no air, there will not be air for the rear of the set. Having the hand valve down also activates the brake lights, so that I can see that on a pretrip.

If there was air when I was pretripping the front and there is not at the back box of a set, I know that either the dolly or the back box is defective.

I do the same on a post trip. With the hand valve down, the brake lights are on. I also check the air on the rear box on the post trip. Just a quick turn on and off, not even the whole way, just enough to hear the air.

If you do not have the hand valve down, there is no way to check that.

Dracula

Just passed my training and on my own , looking forward to being in feeder

It's a lot to take in on such a short training , but I know the training has just begun

Take your time, get a good routine and stick to it. Don't take shortcuts and don't get lazy, because feeders is a much more relaxed world than PC. Enjoy that, but don't let it lull you to sleep. Always know your surroundings. Make sure you know what you're backing or moving into. There is no race in feeders to complete or win. Just because the sort is waiting on you to back on a door, never let that rush you. Almost without exception, when you get into a hurry, that's when you start messing up. So you get the trailer on the door when you get it on the door.

Maybe someone has told you, maybe not, but you will make mistakes. You'll forget to roll the legs down before you take off and will drop a trailer on it's nose. You might forget to disconnect the hoses before you pull off. It happens. The key is to learn from your mistakes. Screw up, just don't do it again. Hopefuly your mistakes don't involve accidents on the road. Always check when you pull trailers. Never get lazy there. Always check inside that no one is in the trailer. Close the door and tell a sup what door you're pulling.

Much more so than package car, you live in your mirrors in feeders. Never forget that.

And if you're not sure about something, ask someone. That's key. You should find almost all other feeder drivers are more than happy to give you advice. You'll also find that when something is wrong, you get a feeling that something is wrong or you forgot something. That's when you recheck things. Also, something a lot of drivers don't talk about too much, is it honestly takes a year or so before you really get comfortable, particularly driving on the road. And this is actually a good thing, because you tend to be more careful when you're not comfortable.

All of this is the easy stuff. The hard stuff is adjusting your diet and getting a solid exercise plan. Otherwise the feeder 15 can easily turn into the feeder 50. No joke.

Inthegame

A few examples:

That's long but very informative. Keep it up, someone needs to.

Dracula

Good info thanks... It's too bad that the first 1/3 of the skirt doesn't fold open so you can get under the trailer and then clamp it back in place... Have it fold out on hinges... Wouldn't be that hard to design something like that.

That would have required forward thinking. Not a strong point at Big Brown.

brownburro

A few examples:

Thank you for this write up. You are spot on with your pre-trip. I actually plan on taking some notes on your write up. All we have is our safety out there.

Dracula

I have the tractor brake set and the hand valve down. When I walk around the trailer, I open both valves on the back of the trailer. If there is no air, there will not be air for the rear of the set. Having the hand valve down also activates the brake lights, so that I can see that on a pretrip.

If there was air when I was pretripping the front and there is not at the back box of a set, I know that either the dolly or the back box is defective.

I do the same on a post trip. With the hand valve down, the brake lights are on. I also check the air on the rear box on the post trip. Just a quick turn on and off, not even the whole way, just enough to hear the air.

If you do not have the hand valve down, there is no way to check that.

I do that same thing. An old timer showed it to me.