retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I've never heard of bonus in feeders. Everything you do has a time allowance. You surely want to get credit for all the time you spend getting something done. If you don't take credit doing something, say, shifting, that time you spent shifting will be applied toward something else, like turnaround, which will artificially inflate the time you spent on TA, Which will, in turn, attract a highlighter to your OR.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So do you feeders record everything you do in ivis (moves, connections, etc) to cover your rear? Or is it a bonus thing?

It's just like packages. It gives us time credit so our numbers don't look too bad and all our time is accounted for.

If we didn't key in shift, trailers hooked, sort, etc., the bosses would be asking us what we did for 2 hours. Our numbers would look terrible. And everything is about a number on a piece of paper to UPS.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well, we do that too, but it is other work , and when finishe

That "shifting" I know about, it is "other work" and under "feeder". the kind of shifting at a cpu stop that we were talking about is under "combined work". Different animal , as far as I can tell.

We were told that if you're at a hub, it is other work, hub shift.

If we are at a CPU or center, it is combined work, shifting.

MaceFremonti

NEWPA - overheard from a supe in a crimson shirt and yellow vest holding a walkie talkie, "friend * * k scanning the packages, just throw them in the trailer and get them out of here!"

LOL, not even November yet...

MaceFremonti

Well, if anyone was wondering what the holdup was getting out of NEWPA today, it was this guy - completely blocking all inbound and outbound lanes......WTF?

Oh wait a minute, it's a Swift driver, now I understand!

Attachments

• 1445377848673.jpg
    1445377848673.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 234

UPS4Life

Well, if anyone was wondering what the holdup was getting out of NEWPA today, it was this guy - completely blocking all inbound and outbound lanes......WTF?

Oh wait a minute, it's a Swift driver, now I understand!
For as fast as we are hiring drivers swift thought it would be good if we borrowed some of their trailers, that's just one of our rental tractors.
JUST KIDDING lol

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Lol. Those guys are morons !!
I've seen a few of their teams in Worma and Chema ,, they shouldn't be allowed to pull a u haul trailer !!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
One of my buddies in sleepers was changing into chains in Colorado, and a SWIFT driver was watching him. My buddy asked if there was something he needed. The SWIFT guy said he was just watching how he put on his chains. He said no one at SWIFT had ever showed him how to put them on. He said how much he was sliding and said every time he let off the gas, the engine revs made his back wheels lose traction. My buddy said, "You don't have your Jake Brake on, do you?" He said he didn't know what that was.

My buddy laughed, and went and showed him where the button was, explained what it was for, and most importantly, when to use and when NOT to use it.

That is SWIFT for you.

MaceFremonti

Was having my yearly safety ride, my onroad decided he wanted to drive on the return trip, he's going through the 5 seeing habits, ten point, driver drill etc, first big pull and we start to slow down, rpms dropping, engine lugging, he's looking at the dash and asks....

"What's going on? Why are we slowing down?"

"Seriously?", I reply.

"Yeah, what's happening?"

Shaking my head I say, "You may want to downshift."

"You can't go uphill in 10th?"

"Are you friend*ing with you me?"

"So, downshift to ninth?"

"That would be a start...."

"Well, there were no hills in Chicago."

"Apparently."

He's a super nice guy and knows his smilet now but I was just shaking my head.

That's not even Feeder knowledge, that's everyday life knowledge.

UPS4Life

Was having my yearly safety ride, my onroad decided he wanted to drive on the return trip, he's going through the 5 seeing habits, ten point, driver drill etc, first big pull and we start to slow down, rpms dropping, engine lugging, he's looking at the dash and asks....

"What's going on? Why are we slowing down?"

"Seriously?", I reply.

"Yeah, what's happening?"

Shaking my head I say, "You may want to downshift."

"You can't go uphill in 10th?"

"Are you friend*ing with you me?"

"So, downshift to ninth?"

"That would be a start...."

"Well, there were no hills in Chicago."

"Apparently."

He's a super nice guy and knows his smilet now but I was just shaking my head.

That's not even Feeder knowledge, that's everyday life knowledge.
I wonder how many of them would realize if the jake brake was on as they try to shift. Then again the gears grind enough as it is now so what's the difference.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I wonder how many of them would realize if the jake brake was on as they try to shift. Then again the gears grind enough as it is now so what's the difference.

The Jake brake does not activate when the clutch pedal is pushed.

If you shift without a clutch, the Jake brake can make it tough, but if it is a sup doing a demonstration ride, he is using the clutch.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I went to feeder school in the mid 80's, we had 5 speed GMC tractors. We had wet clutches that were bathed in ATF. It gave you one more fluid level to check on your pretrip. The instructor that trained me said if he ever caught me not using the clutch when I shifted, he would fire me. Not only that, but he told me to double-clutch every shift I made. Right before I retired, I had an on road ride with me for my annual ride. He said to me "did you just use your clutch when you shifted just then?" I said yes. He said "What for?" I laughed out loud. My, how times had changed.