Asked to clock back in after sort hours.

Congee

This Friday I worked 4-9am on local sort. I was then asked after clocking out to clock back in because the supervisor forgot about package cars being outside needing unloaded. A feeder driver told me that I should look into my contract but I never was given a union book or anything. They said in their contract that someone made away big with a grievance they filed over clocking back in. Can they do that??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can they force you to clock back in? No but you said that they asked you.

Supervisors are human and they do make mistakes. Pickups have to make the feeders before they pull and if you are the only unloader left then you will be asked to stay.

PT Car Washer

After exhausting all alternatives the Union would allow management to perform hourly work. So either you can walk away from the extra work and give the work to your PT sups or make the extra pay yourself.

HubBub

This company is all about politics/leverage etc. If it was me I'd help bail the sup out but make sure he knew I wasn't happy and that he owed me one. That's one of the keys to keeping management off your back.

UPSGUY72

This Friday I worked 4-9am on local sort. I was then asked after clocking out to clock back in because the supervisor forgot about package cars being outside needing unloaded. A feeder driver told me that I should look into my contract but I never was given a union book or anything. They said in their contract that someone made away big with a grievance they filed over clocking back in. Can they do that??

NO they can't make you punch back in. Once you punch out your done if they asked you if you wanted to punch back in because they had more work then they gave you the option to or not to that's one thing. However if they told you to punch back in I would have kept on walking.

PT Car Washer

No. The second timecard wouldn't go through by itself, they would have to be manually merged.
Which is why a lot of PT UPS employees would be reluctant to go back after punching out for the day. You never know if you will be paid for all hours worked. Not saying it is a conspiracy just requires more work for PT and FT sups to manage when all they want to do is go home. Plus if the Union employees don't like it all they have to do is file a grievance to be paid right is management thinking.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Which is why a lot of PT UPS employees would be reluctant to go back after punching out for the day. You never know if you will be paid for all hours worked. Not saying it is a conspiracy just requires more work for PT and FT sups to manage when all they want to do is go home. Plus if the Union employees don't like it all they have to do is file a grievance to be paid right is management thinking.
If something like that were to happen I would just ask them to work and show them me physically changing their end time so there is no doubt.

Forgetting a trailer would have been my fault. The only one who should get hit for it is me.

PT Car Washer

If something like that were to happen I would just ask them to work and show them me physically changing their end time so there is no doubt.

Forgetting a trailer would have been my fault. The only one who should get hit for it is me.
You work at a small Center where you have your employees trust. Larger Hubs and Centers employees times get lost in the crises of the moment. A couple times when that happens you lose all trust in your management team and believe it is all "part of the Plan".

542thruNthru

I am curious though. I understand you can make his 2 time cards 1 but is that the right thing?

I believe you frigid but wondering if a shop steward would agree.

Because if let's say I was forced to punch back in after I had expressed I don't want to. My original shift is technically over and done I believe. The amount of time that has elapsed between shifts I don't believe should matter.

If this issue was pressed I wonder what the outcome would be. Of course it depends on the local and rider I'm sure.