Asked to del misloads every nite

WyoBrown

I live 15 min from our ctr and every night, mgmt asks me to deliver misloads for my town, on my way home. Once in awhile was fine, but now its every nite. Im compensated for my time but getting tired of schlepping boxes again AFTER 185 stops and 30 pick ups. Anyone ever had to deal with a request like this?

barnyard

KTM rider
I used to do it all the time. Then, someone from the district said something and it came to an end. I liked getting paid to drive home. I always made sure that I was paid till I walked into my house.

TB

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You can always say no. I have done this on a very rare occasion. Maybe 1/2 times in 3 yrs. It's risky to say the least. You drop the pkg at the door and it dissappears? Who has signed for it? There is no record of it in ODS-E. When I did it I made my sup sign for the pkg. I figure if something happens his :censored2: is on the line as well as mine.

brownrodster

Last time they asked me to do this they had a ML for my neighbor. I hopped in a UPS truck drove all they way home, del the pkg with my DIAD. Came back and drove home in my vehicle off the clock. There is no way I am del a pkg off the clock in my vehicle.

gandydancer

I live 15 min from our ctr and every night, mgmt asks me to deliver misloads for my town, on my way home. Once in awhile was fine, but now its every nite. Im compensated for my time but getting tired of schlepping boxes again AFTER 185 stops and 30 pick ups. Anyone ever had to deal with a request like this?

I'm sure this violates your auto insurance policy, which won't allow commercial use of your personal vehicle. So you may be uninsured while doing this, and driving illegally. Which means, at the very least, that you can refuse.

Johney

I'm sure this violates your auto insurance policy, which won't allow commercial use of your personal vehicle. So you may be uninsured while doing this, and driving illegally. Which means, at the very least, that you can refuse.
Ding Ding we have a winner! Yes it is a big help,but you better hope you don't get into an accident with packages in your car and browns on.

Bad Gas!

Tell UPS you are going to dinner with your family on the way home and you will have a beer with dinner.They won't allow you to deliver with over .03 in your system which is about a beer..

SmithBarney

Had a ctr manager try to have me do this once, I asked him to sign for the package, and I'd gladly take it on my way home... he backed off fast. Otherwise
hop in a truck and say Sure thing..

UPSGUY72

I would say sure I'll deliver them what package car you what me to use. If they say we wnated you to deliver them on your way home. Just say sorry I perfer not to deliver package in my PERSONAL vehicle do to possible liabilties issuse.

Or better yet tell them NO I offthe clock.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have done this on occasion and it has never been an issue. They put the left in buildings or other service failure pkgs at the end of the belt and I go through them to see if there are any that I had been missing that day. If there are any that are on my way home I will offer to run them off. I call them when I am done and they adjust my time card accordingly.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I had delivered a pkg sometime back to the wrong house. When I got back to the ctr the customer was on the phone asking where the pkg was. On my way home I stopped and checked on the pkg because I knew exactly where I left it. Turns out that the house that it was supposed to go to was actually on the corner of the other street. It was address to odd y st but the house sits on even x street. I explained to them what the problem was but nothing has been done about it. Got to love the post office or the city, whoever screwed that up.

Mike Hawk

I don't see the problem, as long as you CYA and have the supe sign for it, and get it in writing that you can't be disciplined in any way shape or from for anything that goes wrong. If it is on paper that you agree to do this on the clock it is UPS's liability if you get into an accident. You may scare them off, but then again my supes do this all the time with their personal vehicles. Once we had a supe pass out for no apparent reason, he was shuttling misloads within the hour.

No this won't solve the misload problem, but nothing any of us can do will.

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
When I was with FedEx and we ran Sunday service, I would deliver 1 or 2 packages on my way home. But it would have to be medication, tickets or something of importance. I would call my sup after my last delivery and he would add my time, and usually rounded it up to an hour. Easy money. But like an earlier post. No signature was recorded. Havent heard anyone from our center here doing that.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would say sure I'll deliver them what package car you what me to use. If they say we wnated you to deliver them on your way home. Just say sorry I perfer not to deliver package in my PERSONAL vehicle do to possible liabilties issuse.

Or better yet tell them NO I offthe clock.

There are no liability issues. It's called exception work and is contractually legitimate.

some1else

Banned

art 40,1,i

(i) Personal Vehicles

When an employee uses his/her own vehicle in the service of the Employer and is
involved in an accident, the Employer shall be responsible for the damages to
both the employee�s vehicle and to the other person�s vehicle and/or
property, and will provide liability insurance coverage.