Asked to del misloads every nite

some1else

the only time i will use my personal vehicle is as mentioned above; if i am basically being paid to drive home with 1-2 stops on the way, i leave the diad at a late air pickup to have an air driver take it back

Fullhouse

We had that problem here at our center. We talked to LP(loss prevention) about it and they wanted names and dates. Apparently this was managements way of hiding preload problems (missed pieces). Our district sup was notified that LP was looking in to it, and lo and behold that practiced stopped and has not happened again. Tell your LP man to call LP in the South Carolina Dist to see what the deal was. You would think UPS would have a conference call about this? HEHE The sups complain all the time about conference calls.

browniehound

I do it only when asked. If its on my way why not collect the OT and milage allowance? If its an insurance issue and I get into an accident I think the liabilty lies on UPS. They asked me to use my car so I think its covered under their policy. If not, I think I would win in court against them if the above was the case. Don't offer your car, make sure they ask you. If you offer you may be liable:dissapointed:.

This brings me to another point. I offer this service because so much of our time is wasted at our UPS job (9-12 hours). I get docked an hour for lunch (An hour away from what I can do on my own which means its an hour at work) and my commute is 20-35 min each way depending on traffic, so my calculation takes me to almost 2 hours of unpaid time given to keep my job at UPS.

When they ask me to do something that doesn't take me out of way and will pay me OT for it, I'm all over it. Its almost like a blessing, LOL!

Johney

If its an insurance issue and I get into an accident I think the liabilty lies on UPS. They asked me to use my car so I think its covered under their policy. If not, I think I would win in court against them if the above was the case. Don't offer your car, make sure they ask you. If you offer you may be liable:dissapointed:.
You make a good point , but if they decide to throw you under the bus you may have to pay for an attorney yourself to defend you. I just wouldn't do it.

browniehound

You make a good point , but if they decide to throw you under the bus you may have to pay for an attorney yourself to defend you. I just wouldn't do it.

Now you make a good point. Why would we pay for a lawyer because the company can't supply enough package cars?

If this scenario were true, I would hope the company would do the right thing in good faith. I could be very wrong though.

Johney

Now you make a good point. Why would we pay for a lawyer because the company can't supply enough package cars?

If this scenario were true, I would hope the company would do the right thing in good faith. I could be very wrong though.
I hope they would do the right thing also and most likely they would, but I just won't put myself in that position.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
If I see pkgs still in the building at night I look the other way.

LMAO!

I've been asked to do this for packages close to where I live, to drop off on my way home. This was during my qualification period.

Due to how supportive UPS is to its' driver while on the clock using UPS equipment, I felt it prudent to decline using my own car & my own time to do this. UPS will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat while on the clock, why would you ever put yourself in such a no-win situation?

If this was a small company, mom & pop shop, I wouldn't think twice - of course I would.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
ive delivered many times out of my own vehicle. good radio, heat and air when needed......

most i ever delivered out of my little izusu was 232 packages. that was the monday after the storm of the century. the center preload "ran" but they were not going to send out the drivers.

my biggest bulk stop was open, and i knew they would not have anything to do, so i offered to run that bulk stop and next day air stops to those that were open. that was a load of fun.

longest delivery one way was a mis-zipped christmas eve. i delivered kingsport, 37663 zip. that package was addressed to the right address in kingston but had the 37663 zip instead of the kingston zip of 37763. 146 miles one way.

since i was headed to florida for the week after christmas anyway, i offered to drop the package off on the way. i delivered it christmas morning at about 7:15. they lived about 5 minutes off i40, and were up around the tree. i just knocked and ho hoed when they answered the door.

as long as you get paid, and they pay you the mileage rate for your miles, there is nothing wrong, underhanded, or illegal. just easy money if you feel up to it.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have never pushed the mileage issue as I am on my way home anyway but I do have them adjust my punch out accordingly.

d, you are a part of what UPS used to mean to a lot of people, back when employees and mgt actually cared.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would claim the milage if it was me. If you were using their vehical they would expect you to refuel so I can't see donating your fuel to them. Just don't try to pad your milage claim because they have been know to check.:peaceful: It would be interesting to find out if anyone has had a accident while using a private vehical for UPS work and see how UPS handled it. I have a feeling it would turn into a real mess with lots of finger pointing and lawyers envolved.