Asked to Go Home Early

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
If I ran a business and asked for volunteers to go home early I would be disappointed if the new kid was the first to raise his hand.

Well, you do not run a business. You also do not know what the person has going on. Maybe they would have called out, had they not just been hired. So, if given the choice to go home, they would like it.

PT Car Washer

UPS makes working in the Hubs as miserable as they can so people will want to leave as soon as they can. I give the kid credit for coming back the next day. Shows a strong work ethic. Remember his sup asked him first.

infinitenexus

thanks for all the replies. i honestly dont think they were testing me at this point, they didnt have much work and somebody had to go home. in my hub i guess they ask the newbies first, because the other newest hire has left every time they've asked me and i said no.

i'm a full time student and have a lot of other obligations besides UPS, although I will phrase my response differently next time...."I'll go if no one else will, but i'd prefer to finish out my shift."

someone mentioned being let off for poor performance....will my PPH impact me getting senority? i'm sure i seem like a big nervous wreck now, but i'm just wondering. my sup said my PPH was "unacceptable" at 206, but i was hauling over 70s and running from one load to the next.

PT Car Washer

Give the job a couple months. You will see this all the time. Asking people if they want to go home early or take the day off. Then everyone left gets slammed because we are short handed. Been that way for over the 36 years I have been here.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Sorry, I disagree.
Well with your years of experience working in the hub, I'll just have to accept that...

Go post about driver :censored2:. Don't post about a job you never had, telling the kid his chances of being kept got hurt. A guy who loads between 160-180 pph every day just got kept on my belt because he comes in every day. That's literally all it takes to get the job.

Last edited:

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Anyone so quick to volunteer to go home is not someone you want when the blank hits the fan in the middle of Peak.
First off: if he asked the supe if he could go home, it would be different. His supe asked him to go home. Had he refused, he or someone else would have been forced.

Second:
So? His supe doesn't have a choice. His supe doesn't do any hiring or firing and must staff his belt with the bodies he has. My supe wants a belt staffed entirely with mute musclemen who put up 800 PPH every day. Tough titties. Have you seen the people they hire at peak? You know what they want at peak? A body with a pulse.

Satuirus2000

You know what they want at peak? A body with a pulse.
Lol. This. Don't know how anyone can say this kid made himself look bad. Anyone who's worked in a hub the past few years knows how desperate UPS is these days. They can't afford to be picky about silly stuff like this. Hell, I know people on my posi whose attendance is horrific but they're still there.

PT Car Washer

I believe a lot of Hub and preload managers would love to see the PT starting wage go up to $15.00 an hour. Just to get some quality employees in the door and stay for more then a couple months. Double shifters love the low starting pay. Working PT for FT wages after 5 hours.