Asking drivers to go home

asphaltcowboy

I don't understand it my center is training 10 new drivers and bringing back people from last peak. The ones from last peak just come for people and leave so why they heck are they training 10 more drivers when we have plenty of people left over from last year... But for the sake of this thread in my center ft guys just look at their trucks if it's a bad day they simply hand over the board to a tcd and say we'll tell mgmt what were doing not so much asking.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Dumbest thing ever. If there are extra drivers and some one wants a day off why not allow it. Shouldn't matter who runs the route as long as the job gets done.

The issue in my center is the same driver getting the day off all the time.
But they keep offering it to me......

onehandsolo

The management team and the shop steward or union should work out a plan at your center Each morning drivers who would like to take voluntary layoff should call an a hour before start time but still report to work. The voluntary layoffs will rewarded in seniority order till all available drivers r exhausted. This way most drivers at the bottom of the list can work that day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The management team and the shop steward or union should work out a plan at your center Each morning drivers who would like to take voluntary layoff should call an a hour before start time but still report to work. The voluntary start times will rewarded in seniority order till all available drivers r exhausted. This way most drivers at the bottom of the list can work that day.

You want me to get dressed, make my lunch, go in to work only to get sent back home?

9.5er

But they keep offering it to me......
Yeah, I get that. I was offered a day off last week and took it. That was the first day I was offered in a really long time. One of our guys took every day off last week while a couple others didn't get one at all.
Spread the love is all I'm asking.

onehandsolo

If you really need to be off tell them your not coming in. This is an option to help the lower seniority drivers and to keep them from bumping inside part timers and gives the management team time to plan.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
image.jpg
Agree. If i do all that I'm workin. But if I get a text at 7 am saying you want the day? I'm prob gonna take it. (Only once a week of course, let's not get crazy here) will still get over 40 in if I take a day the way my center runs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yeah I drive an hour to work. I'm
Not going home after I'm there.

I drive less than 10 minutes.

There have been times when I have called in the morning of, asked them for the day and told them I would come in and they would try to cover my area so that I could then turn around and go home. Those are the times when I wake up and say "I really don't want to play today".

I try to give them as much notice as possible when I schedule a day off and make sure that I have enough errands and appointments to make the day off worthwhile.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I won't do it either. They tried pulling that crap Friday.

Yeah me too. Tried to screw me on an 8 hr day but wondered why I wouldn't go home when I already drove there ready to work. I have a rule. If I've left my house and wasted gas, I'm working. If I need the day, I schedule an option day well in advance. If I'm sick and I can take some medicine and work through it, I do. But I don't take unpaid days off just to take a day.

I figure that you should work now as much as you can. That way you are closer to the finish line. There will come a day when you can't or won't have to work. But until that moment, you do your job.

I know it's hard but in a few years, there will be a wave of retirements and all these new drivers will have no choice but to work every day. Do what you have to until then. But expecting senior guys to go home unpaid and leave money on the table isn't fair to the senior guys who paid their dues to work everyday. I know a lot do it but the bottom guys shouldn't expect it and then get mad when it doesn't happen for them.

Their time will come when they will be senior. Until then, guys like me should be working and saving while we can so that retirement is closer not further away

Yeah me too. Tried to screw me on an 8 hr day but wondered why I wouldn't go home when I already drove there ready to work. I have a rule. If I've left my house and wasted gas, I'm working. If I need the day, I schedule an option day well in advance. If I'm sick and I can take some medicine and work through it, I do. But I don't take unpaid days off just to take a day.

I figure that you should work now as much as you can. That way you are closer to the finish line. There will come a day when you can't or won't have to work. But until that moment, you do your job.

I know it's hard but in a few years, there will be a wave of retirements and all these new drivers will have no choice but to work every day. Do what you have to until then. But expecting senior guys to go home unpaid and leave money on the table isn't fair to the senior guys who paid their dues to work everyday. I know a lot do it but the bottom guys shouldn't expect it and then get mad when it doesn't happen for them.

Their time will come when they will be senior. Until then, guys like me should be working and saving while we can so that retirement is closer not further away
Once I leave the house,I'm working. Even ifbi don't feel like it.

Tough Guy

99% of the time when I'm there I'm going to work. There's always that rare odd ball day once in awhile when I'm ok with taking off. Even though I don't like the idea of having gone up there for nothing.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I use to like when the cover drivers would call me before I'd even got in the shower "I'm extra, I'll run your route if you want the day"
Yeah, if you're gonna twist my arm like that go ahead..

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's where it helps to know, what supplement people are covered by.

In the Central, we would follow the lay-off language.

And there is no such thing.... as "on-call" in pkg car.

The rest of your post (and point) seem correct, based on that language.

The OP is a FT cover driver, and the Central does not have FT cover drivers. So this would not be an issue.

But if he was a FT package driver, yes, they would follow the lay-off language.

The OP is a FT cover driver, and the Central does not have FT cover drivers. So this would not be an issue.

But if he was a FT package driver, yes, they would follow the lay-off language.
The Central Region does not have FT cover drivers? What would you call a FT driver without a bid route?