Asking drivers to go home

PT Car Washer

Money Maker? Runner Gunner?
In my part of the Central Region we call them either FT cover drivers or FT bid cover drivers. The difference being a bid cover driver can pick, by seniority, which route he wants to cover that day or week. FT cover drivers are placed where they are needed. We don't have any PT drivers other then Air drivers.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
In my part of the Central Region we call them either FT cover drivers or FT bid cover drivers. The difference being a bid cover driver can pick, by seniority, which route he wants to cover that day or week. FT cover drivers are placed where they are needed. We don't have any PT drivers other then Air drivers.

I thought that is what you meant. The Central has no FT cover drivers per se.

They are FT drivers without a bid route. They are WAD we I am from.

Other supplements have PT, FT cover drivers and language for them. Just like the Central has VCD's (vacation cover drivers)

These are usually PTers who are temporary cover drivers and, if not needed, go back to their previous PT job as opposed to having to exercise their seniority if laid off and bumping back to the inside.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
In my part of the Central Region we call them either FT cover drivers or FT bid cover drivers.

Here, they are known as miscellaneous.

The difference being a bid cover driver can pick, by seniority, which route he wants to cover that day or week.

Here, we follow the language on bid coverage drivers.

(Being the top 10% of the miscellaneous or unassigned drivers)

The rest, "kind of" have seniority amongst themselves.

-Bug-

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
That's where it helps to know, what supplement people are covered by.

Periodically, we have to remind them of our Local Rider/Seniority practice.

The company tries to pull that "area knowledge" crap.

-Bug-

Ah yes, the old area knowledge scam. Back in my package car days, when I was a bid cover driver, I was 2ND in seniority, so I always got good routes to pick from. But I came up in the old days, when they taught you how to cover an area by giving you the keys to the package car and saying go. So I knew every route in the center. By this time, though, they had long since stopped just giving a driver the keys saying go. They would ride with the cover drivers to show them the routes. The only problem was, they didn't like to train green cover drivers enough, and many of the drivers below me would cave in tho their pressure to come off a route they picked, to run some ballbuster only they knew how to run.

I had about a two week run, where they tried to get me to come off a route I'd picked, by giving me their sob story that the other driver didn't know this or that route, and I did. Now, if it were a circumstance where they made an attempt to train as many of the drivers on as many of the routes as they could, I might have done them a favor, on rare occasions. But they rarely rode with cover drivers to train. We had some epic screaming matches during those two weeks. My point was, always, don't blame me for exercising my rights because you people were too damn lazy to get on some browns and train some of these drivers. It was always, "Yeah, we'll do that next week." They always wanted to make it seem like their laziness was my problem.

The fact was, if you gave in to their pressure, you were ALWAYS going to be their errand boy. The only way it would stop, was by MAKING them stop.

Ecw21411

Ah yes, the old area knowledge scam. Back in my package car days, when I was a bid cover driver, I was 2ND in seniority, so I always got good routes to pick from. But I came up in the old days, when they taught you how to cover an area by giving you the keys to the package car and saying go. So I knew every route in the center. By this time, though, they had long since stopped just giving a driver the keys saying go. They would ride with the cover drivers to show them the routes. The only problem was, they didn't like to train green cover drivers enough, and many of the drivers below me would cave in tho their pressure to come off a route they picked, to run some ballbuster only they knew how to run.

I had about a two week run, where they tried to get me to come off a route I'd picked, by giving me their sob story that the other driver didn't know this or that route, and I did. Now, if it were a circumstance where they made an attempt to train as many of the drivers on as many of the routes as they could, I might have done them a favor, on rare occasions. But they rarely rode with cover drivers to train. We had some epic screaming matches during those two weeks. My point was, always, don't blame me for exercising my rights because you people were too damn lazy to get on some browns and train some of these drivers. It was always, "Yeah, we'll do that next week." They always wanted to make it seem like their laziness was my problem.

The fact was, if you gave in to their pressure, you were ALWAYS going to be their errand boy. The only way it would stop, was by MAKING them stop.
Totally agree

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yeah, I get that. I was offered a day off last week and took it. That was the first day I was offered in a really long time. One of our guys took every day off last week while a couple others didn't get one at all.
Spread the love is all I'm asking.
This is where the union is useless in promoting fairness and equal treatment. Here in Local 25, only special favored people get days off "voluntary layoffs" and there is nothing that can be done about it. That goes for drivers and inside people.

The driver on the next route over with less seniority can be offered the day, a cover can cover it, while you have more seniority plus other covers are available, yet no day is offered. Very weak side-deals to benefit certain people.