Aspiring in IT career in UPS

I have worked for ups a while ago from (2007-2012) I mostly stayed so they can pay for my college I'm back again as a preloaded and I'm looking into trying to get to the IT department in nearby Paramus. But I do not want to become a PT supervisor is there anyway around that? I've seen what it has done to people in the past...I have a Bachelors in computer engineering I just want to know the process without becoming a PT supervisor

Catatonic

Nine Lives
IT usually requires entry level as a programmer to have 2 -3 years of experience.
Apply on UPSers.com ... probably no use checking with HR.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
There are two sets of guys at my building, I'm not sure the name but one group does computer work, the other group does building things, like testing foundations, and making sure there is no oil running off into ground. Anyways those groups of guys have never been supervisors. I have never heard of them even having to work at UPS prior. If someone is telling you this I think they are just trying to trick you into being a part time supervisor, and when that happens you will never get into the IT field there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

IT usually requires entry level as a programmer to have 2 -3 years of experience.
Apply on UPSers.com ... probably no use checking with HR.

I respectfully disagree-----when my son was trying to get in to the company, our local HR rep was very helpful. She gave me the contact information for the district HR staff; unfortunately, that is where the helpfulness came to a screeching halt.

upsjobs.com/careers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There are two sets of guys at my building, I'm not sure the name but one group does computer work, the other group does building things, like testing foundations, and making sure there is no oil running off into ground. Anyways those groups of guys have never been supervisors. I have never heard of them even having to work at UPS prior. If someone is telling you this I think they are just trying to trick you into being a part time supervisor, and when that happens you will never get into the IT field there.

TSG----Technical Support Group (Geek Squad)
PE----Physical/Plant Engineering

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I respectfully disagree-----when my son was trying to get in to the company, our local HR rep was very helpful. She gave me the contact information for the district HR staff; unfortunately, that is where the helpfulness came to a screeching halt.

upsjobs.com/careers
Well, no offense, but if your BC personality matches your actual one...do you think UPS wants a younger version of youself working there (even if your son is actually nothing like you)?? You may do a good job...but you sure won't win any popularity contests.

There's a hourlie in my building...been here 20 yrs and is a raging, know it all...Female Dog. A few years back, she talked to HR to try and get her son a job here. I would've loved to see how he managed to keep a straight face when he told her No, he can't hire family members (yet We have 6 sets of brothers who all work in our building...lol). They didn't want to hire another one of her. To be honest...with my mouth getting me in trouble sometimes...I doubt they'd want to hire another Me either....lmao

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And yet Daddy had to try to get him a job? I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to hire another Upstate!! lmao

He had no problem getting a job all on his own. He has just begun a 3 year rotational training program for an international aerospace contractor. Starting salary of $55K with a benefit package which rivals ours.

How many years of loading packages on to trucks, a job which anyone with a pulse can do after minimal training, would it take for you to make $55K?

@jumpman 23 I been with the post office where they are the king of making you pull the impossible bull:censored2: out ur ass...they are something else..this is nothing compared to this....as far an IT position at ups As long as I get a paycheck and I'm doing what I've slaved away for 4 years to get my degree I'm fine....

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

upsjobs.com/careers
I think we agree ... the staffing in HR has been cut back so far, that once you step outside the BOG, there is little help.

Dude846

Backpacks with Jets
So you want to be a IT ROBOT huh? Have fun having people telling you to do things that make no sense and things that are physically impossible.

This tends to be for IT in general. Dealing with people as a whole about computers and IT/IS is a crap shoot. If you show a bit of weakness with "might" or "maybe" - they'll use it as ammunition to make you attempt. Deep down, you know that you have a better chance of finding [a real] unicorn in the local UPS hubs.

Use absolutes like "No" and "Never" and forgo making holes in drywall. On the upside, you could go into a career with construction with all those drywall repairs!