At UPS, the Algorithm Is the Driver

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Somebody tell ORION that drivers do what they do for a reason, like not getting hit crossing the street, or to get bulk off, or to be near a certain area for lunch.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It could have been good. They didnt ask for input or take anything into consideration either. And I had no 6 days, I got two, and then I was told to work out the bugs which is like 15 times a day. So there goes my 15/100 choices I get to make. The flawed system causes me to do those to make service.
And then you have to figure out how to put it back together and not miss stuff left behind.
If they spent so much money on it, why not spend more to make it work? If I have 5 50 pd pkgs at a residence, I aint crossing the street. I am not delivering business after they close. I am not delivering 50 boxes of books at 4pm, to a school that I cannot get into between 2 and 3 because of buses, and I cant fit in in my day before that. It totally sucks. It gives me nightmares.

oldngray

nowhere special
“Can a human really think of the best way to deliver 120 stops? This is where the algorithm will come in. It will explore paths of doing things you would not, because there are just too many combinations,” says Jack Levis, senior director of process management at UPS.
http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2015/02/17/ups-business-rides-on-orion-routing-algorithm/

I have to wonder how those dumb truck drivers were ever able to get anything done using only their own brains.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
We are about to go on ORION and one of the team members said that if you look at ten different delivery addresses, there are over a million different combinations as to what order you could run them.
Yes. One or 2 good ways, and almost a million stupid ways.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
“Can a human really think of the best way to deliver 120 stops? This is where the algorithm will come in. It will explore paths of doing things you would not, because there are just too many combinations,” says Jack Levis, senior director of process management at UPS.
http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2015/02/17/ups-business-rides-on-orion-routing-algorithm/

I have to wonder how those dumb truck drivers were ever able to get anything done using only their own brains.
:censored2:ing morons.

I may be a dumb truck driver but I eliminate 99% of the possibilities within a second. It's explores combination I never thought Of cause they make zero sense.

This could be one of the most awesome jobs around. Instead we are treated like kindergarteners and they act like the job is advanced calculus.