At UPS, the Algorithm Is the Driver

toxic88

Well at least we get some good PR. Us drivers know the BS but from an outsider looking in I'm sure it looks quite impressive. Throw a bunch of numbers out to the public with some fancy words and we look better than the competition.

O

OLDMAN3

I plan on delivering it as close 100% as possible until they beg me to stop or I can retire early from all of the extra 9.5 money.
They have begun begging/ordering some drivers to stop following it in the centers where it was deployed early. It is that bad on some routes. Just remember when they start it in your center that ORION can be implemented/tweaked by management in many ways. Running it close to 100% is the best way to show the flaws and to get management to "tweak" it so it doesn't turn your route upside-down.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
No its to get rid of too many overpaid under performing drivers ....
What a bunch of garbage Orion is. But don't take my word for it. And certainly don't take Morningstar's.

Check into the work of Dr. Sangeev Arora, theoretical computer scientist, graduate of MIT, twice winner of the Godel Prize. In particular reference his work on the TSP which has since been verified by the scientific community.

You'll see Orion's origins and its ultimate limitations.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Real, Al Gore rhythm...

200.gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well at least we get some good PR. Us drivers know the BS but from an outsider looking in I'm sure it looks quite impressive. Throw a bunch of numbers out to the public with some fancy words and we look better than the competition.
Kind of like. I heard you guys aren't allowed to turn left!!!!!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No its to get rid of too many overpaid under performing drivers ....

Under performing Drivers, are a minute percentage of the total workforce.

It can take years before they leave. Usually, on their own accord (or fault).

Management people, on the other hand.... are a "dime a dozen".

Very few have any specialized reason (or need) for being there.

And, can be gone in the blink of an eye.

Remember what happened after the IPO of Ups stock ?

-Bug-

brostalss

When ORION factors in live traffic, bulk deliveries and optimizes the route based on your first stop of the day you choose, then maybe I'll start looking at it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
When ORION factors in live traffic, bulk deliveries and optimizes the route based on your first stop of the day you choose, then maybe I'll start looking at it.

It's the same thing, with the company trying to intimidate drivers with a "virtual" OJS.

Computer nonsense.

You want to see whats going on ? Get on the truck.

Better yet.... demonstrate. And not for just 5 minutes.

-Bug-

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when I was in package and had bad numbers , I used to insist on a ride along for demonstrations. I learned some things and did improve my numbers but never to their satisfaction . I don't think you can EVER satisfy them.

it only happened twice and then they left me alone since I was working by the methods. but I never ran or rushed. I think they were deliriously happy when I went into feeder.

I do feel for you guys and gals.

brostalss

A lot of this too is based on you Center Management Team(CMT). Is your CMT all about numbers? More People oriented? Or a combination of both? Numbers CMT will pound ORION on you, people oriented will most likely leave the ones who do the job alone. So far I've gotten about three days of "You have to get your ORION numbers up". We recently got a new Division Manager who used to be a center manager in our Center. We are lucky that he is a stand up guy. He knows to leave the good guys alone and focus on the problem ones. Our current CMT is good. We all pretty much like them. They don't micro manage.

The real bonus is who does the dispatching. Our Dispatch guy is "The Father" of EDD as we call him. He knows the ins and outs and that helps with ORION.

Overpaid Union Thug

A lot of this too is based on you Center Management Team(CMT). Is your CMT all about numbers? More People oriented? Or a combination of both? Numbers CMT will pound ORION on you, people oriented will most likely leave the ones who do the job alone. So far I've gotten about three days of "You have to get your ORION numbers up". We recently got a new Division Manager who used to be a center manager in our Center. We are lucky that he is a stand up guy. He knows to leave the good guys alone and focus on the problem ones. Our current CMT is good. We all pretty much like them. They don't micro manage.

The real bonus is who does the dispatching. Our Dispatch guy is "The Father" of EDD as we call him. He knows the ins and outs and that helps with ORION.
Our dispatcher is the red headed step child bastard of EDD. He doesn't care how bad his dispatches are. Our DOLs have been jacked up since day one (going on nine years now) he refuses to fix anything. And now they expect ORION to work? Now that's funny.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
What a bunch of garbage Orion is. But don't take my word for it. And certainly don't take Morningstar's.

Check into the work of Dr. Sangeev Arora, theoretical computer scientist, graduate of MIT, twice winner of the Godel Prize. In particular reference his work on the TSP which has since been verified by the scientific community.

You'll see Orion's origins and its ultimate limitations.

TSP = Total Service Plan? Care to break it down for us?