Atheists

Did Cove say the 10 Commandments were the origin of morality or offer them as an example of the source?

What the scientific school of thought doesn't consider is that nature itself could have come from a higher being because it would fall out of their hands to explain.

I fully agree with your last sentence.

I grew up attending a church that did not recognize the celebration of Christ's birth. I suppose that is why I think of Christmas as more of a secular holiday. But, if it makes people feel better I see no problem.

I met a guy once that knew the Bible very well, I suppose he could be considered a scholar. He was just a common 'ole Joe, not a preacher nor a Deacon or Elder, never went to a seminary. I had been told he could argue any subject about the Bible form either side, pro or con and prove his point with scripture. When I met him I asked him if that was true and he said he wasn't sure he could do it because he had not studied every possible question. After talking to him, really listening on my part, I figured he probably could. His knowledge of what is written in Bible was pretty all inclusive. I think he could have replaced either of these men in the video. His conclusion was, If you want to go to heaven, you must have faith, whether heaven or hell exists will be known later.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I met a guy once that knew the Bible very well, I suppose he could be considered a scholar. He was just a common 'ole Joe, not a preacher nor a Deacon or Elder, never went to a seminary. I had been told he could argue any subject about the Bible form either side, pro or con and prove his point with scripture. When I met him I asked him if that was true and he said he wasn't sure he could do it because he had not studied every possible question. After talking to him, really listening on my part, I figured he probably could. His knowledge of what is written in Bible was pretty all inclusive. I think he could have replaced either of these men in the video. His conclusion was, If you want to go to heaven, you must have faith, whether heaven or hell exists will be known later.

I know people like this too. They can quote the Bible backwards and forwards and they have an "answer" for everything. One, who is an extremely nice guy, firmly believes that the Earth is only 6,000 years old, and he has tons of "evidence' from the Bible to support his theory of a Young Earth. When I point out that your average rock is milions of years old and that there are mountains of evidence for hundreds of millions of years of evolution and geological change, his belief is unshaken.

That's OK, because he has a right to believe whatever he wants, but come on....6,000 years old? Instead of memorizing the Bible, maybe this guy would have done well to take a few science courses and pick up a copy of National Geographic. This isn't much different from those fervent Muslims that believe the Koran has an answer for everything and that if you memorize enough passages, the "truth" will be revealed.

804brown

RE: heaven or hell, my belief is very brief.
Just live right, do the right things and no worries!!

Exactly!! One can live an ethical life without religion. WE would probably be better off: religion has casused billions of people to conduct themselves NO BETTER than non believers and also award themselves the PERMISSION to kill, rape, etc.

wkmac

thanks-jesus-for-this-food-de-nada.jpg
thanks-jesus-for-this-food-de-nada.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
If you posted a picture of Mohammed like that pic. of Jesus, there'd be guys with scimitars at your front door ready to "take a little off the top".

Aren't you glad we live in a country where you can do that?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And I always thought they had "In God we trust" logos on US military planes and bombs.
Kinda like "God is Great" before the Islam kill.

The Air Force has never had "In God We Trust" on any of their equipment.

The crew chief and crew members will put their names on the side of their planes. They used to put caricatures of women on the sides of the planes. Bomb masters will write notes in chalk on the bombs before they load them.

The only place you will find "In God We Trust" is on the money in their wallets.

804brown

"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages".
Richard Lederer

wkmac

And there is also within humor a teaching moment but then by you own admission you don't read or listen much less consider the importance of history so it's safe to say you'd never understand that point in humor to begin with.

BTW: I think worrying about an Air Force logo with the word god in it is a waste of time and putting efforts elsewhere would be far more productive. I'd say leave the word in the logo and when the plane gets shot down and the crew sadly and needlessly killed, ask the question, "Where was your god then?"