Attacked and bit by large dog today

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
After the day in court when he finds out how much he has to pay you can walk up to him and say "You got sued, huh?"

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I too hope you are ok, its the trauma in your job afterwards that is the real pain. Hearing your own keys jingle, etc. Sounds like a loser. Probably like the one that bit me. Couldnt sue him, had no income or homeowners insurance. I lost two weeks of work, but it did not happen on the job, darn.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I too hope you are ok, its the trauma in your job afterwards that is the real pain. Hearing your own keys jingle, etc. Sounds like a loser. Probably like the one that bit me. Couldnt sue him, had no income or homeowners insurance. I lost two weeks of work, but it did not happen on the job, darn.
LOL, I did that more than once while delivering out in the country after dark. Hear that jingle, think it's a dog collar coming up behind ya, spin around in a 180 swinging the board, then realize it's just the keys on your little finger :happy-very:
Yeah, I've been bit a few times and it makes you nervous.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree. What a loser! Sue the ********* outta him.

Sleeve, I also hope that you are OK. Check with the union as to what benefits are available to you in regard to a lawyer. Here in Upstate NY we get legal representation from a network of lawyers for common legal needs. We also get a dollar amount if we choose to use our own lawyer. I do not know if dog bites would be covered but it may be worth looking in to it.

I agree with Ovah---sue the *************** out of him.
Ditto what they said.

I agree with tooner, as well. Your perception of dogs will forever be changed because of this knucklehead and his dog. "Bit you, huh", would have been the last thing he ever said with those teeth, if he still had any.:angry:

Re-Raise

Anyone else ever notice that a dog's demeaner most of the time kind of mirrors that of the owner.

If the place is a dump and the owner is an a hole the dog is usually an out of control beast.

On the other hand the nicest people on your route have the labs that come up with their tails wagging to lick your hand.

I guess the same thing is sort of true about their kids, except for the hand licking thing.

bigbrownhen

Trashy house, yea watch for a nasty dog. If I haven't del to it before, I look for all the sighs., dog dishes, dog house, stuff chewed up and such. I have also been put back in the truck at very nice homes when they aren't home. Dog is a sweety when they are there, over-protective when they are not. They got a DR note left in the mailbox.

Sleeve, I hope you heal up soon. That looks terrible. Yea, get a good lawyer, hope the guy actually owns the house and isn't a renter with no insurance. The dog should be listed as aggressive by he police/animal control to say the least, and UPS should refuse to deliver to him.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If a dog is charging you and you know you are going to get bit, you want to try and get into a crouch in order to lower your center of gravity and then offer the dog your right forearm to lock onto.

If it locks onto your forearm, you can then bring your left arm behind its neck and push forward as hard as you can with your right arm while pulling towards you with the left. If you are strong enough, you can break the dogs neck. At the very least, you can get the dog up off the ground and force its head back at a painful and awkward angle this way.

If you are unable to break its neck, use the thumb of your free hand to dig the dogs eyeball out of its socket. If it doesnt let go after you pop one eye out, it will let go when you start in on the second one.

By giving the dog your forearm to lock onto, you are keeping it away from your face and neck. You just have to avoid panic, and accept the fact that you are going to get bit and it is going to hurt and you are going to bleed. The main thing is to stay on your feet, dont let it get you down on the ground, and dont let it get your face or neck.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hey Sleeve, remember the Local 25 "Strike Force"? Maybe we could have them pay a visit to this dog-owner...

Did you mention to the police how the idiot left you bleeding in his yard and didn't offer you any help?

Did you call for an ambulance from the idiots driveway?

Sleeve, did the police go to the owner and get the dogs rabies cert? How does one know if the dog has had its shots?

I finished the route bleeding and then went back to ctr, washed it out, took pics. Went to Health stop and then ER because health stop wouldn't take me. After ER in SNH cleaned it up and the doctor actually called the police department! I didn't want to give the wrong address or bad info, so I was released and I drove another hour BACK onto area with my fiance and right back to the house it happened. I made sure it was the right one, then went to the police station with the ER records.

PD said they'll contact me Monday after the holiday and follow up about the rabies deal. I'm definitly going to give them the lowdown on the dog and owner!!! I'm so angry, my legs throbbing and I can't sleep.

Apparently the dog needs to be checked for 10 consecutive days for rabies.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
After the day in court when he finds out how much he has to pay you can walk up to him and say "You got sued, huh?"

LOL Good one there Jones

Sorry to hear about what happened to you, hope you feel better. Good luck with what you decide to do.
I have used a lawyer that represents union members, his services were paid for by the legal fund we have with UPS. I paid nothing.
If you are interested let me know and I will find the info.
Thank you, that's the avenue I'm trying first. I think that each local has different representation available so I'll call the union hall Monday when I go on a rampage.

Ditto what they said.

I agree with tooner, as well. Your perception of dogs will forever be changed because of this knucklehead and his dog. "Bit you, huh", would have been the last thing he ever said with those teeth, if he still had any.:angry:

If it wasn't a UPS uniform and vehicle, things would have been handled much different. I would have been me rather than pro UPS guy :/

Anyone else ever notice that a dog's demeaner most of the time kind of mirrors that of the owner.

If the place is a dump and the owner is an a hole the dog is usually an out of control beast.

On the other hand the nicest people on your route have the labs that come up with their tails wagging to lick your hand.

I guess the same thing is sort of true about their kids, except for the hand licking thing.

You're 100% right. The house is a junkyard in the back and the man was absolutely callous, he just ran inside with it. That was my first thought, the dogs is attitude just an extension of owners.

Trashy house, yea watch for a nasty dog. If I haven't del to it before, I look for all the sighs., dog dishes, dog house, stuff chewed up and such. I have also been put back in the truck at very nice homes when they aren't home. Dog is a sweety when they are there, over-protective when they are not. They got a DR note left in the mailbox.

Sleeve, I hope you heal up soon. That looks terrible. Yea, get a good lawyer, hope the guy actually owns the house and isn't a renter with no insurance. The dog should be listed as aggressive by he police/animal control to say the least, and UPS should refuse to deliver to him.

Thank you, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure it isn't someones 5 year olds face the dog latches onto next time..

If a dog is charging you and you know you are going to get bit, you want to try and get into a crouch in order to lower your center of gravity and then offer the dog your right forearm to lock onto.

If it locks onto your forearm, you can then bring your left arm behind its neck and push forward as hard as you can with your right arm while pulling towards you with the left. If you are strong enough, you can break the dogs neck. At the very least, you can get the dog up off the ground and force its head back at a painful and awkward angle this way.

If you are unable to break its neck, use the thumb of your free hand to dig the dogs eyeball out of its socket. If it doesnt let go after you pop one eye out, it will let go when you start in on the second one.

By giving the dog your forearm to lock onto, you are keeping it away from your face and neck. You just have to avoid panic, and accept the fact that you are going to get bit and it is going to hurt and you are going to bleed. The main thing is to stay on your feet, dont let it get you down on the ground, and dont let it get your face or neck.

If I wasn't in uniform, things may have been different. I'm not sure I could harm an animal like that unless it was trying to kill me.

One time I did have a rotweiller try to jump a fence and kill me by biting my face/throat. I was able to close a gate just fast enough on the dogs shoulders. The dog was almost able to climb/ jump the 6' fence even after I kicked him backwards and closed it! That's the type of instance where I would have tried to save my life by self defense.

soberups

If I wasn't in uniform, things may have been different. I'm not sure I could harm an animal like that unless it was trying to kill me.

One time I did have a rotweiller try to jump a fence and kill me by biting my face/throat. I was able to close a gate just fast enough on the dogs shoulders. The dog was almost able to climb/ jump the 6' fence even after I kicked him backwards and closed it! That's the type of instance where I would have tried to save my life by self defense.

Whether I am wearing a uniform or not is irrelevant. I dont want to get bitten and I will take whatever action I deem necessary to protect myself.

Obviously, the action I take will be determined in part by the size of the dog. If the dog is a pitbull, doberman, rottweiler, German Shepherd, chow, or other LARGE dog....I will not hesitate to use lethal force if I need to. I love dogs, but I also love my throat and my face and I'm not going to allow myself to get maimed or killed.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
The worst part is the owner did not care nor say anything. He walked out of the back door where the dog came out and said "you got bit huh". Meanwhile I'm kneeling holding my bloody leg. He took the dog and went inside, didn't say another word. Did not say sorry, or even offer help. I'm not surprised that the dog acted how it acted with an owner that is careless and lacks empathy in any way.

Take the ******* for all he is worth. I had a lady do the same exact thing on a route I was covering a few years ago. They supposedly had an "electronic fence", but if they did, it certainly had no effect on the dog. He bolted right to the curb and gave me a nip. So the customer comes out and plays it off like it didn't happen despite her being in the doorway and watching me step to the curb. I didn't get seriously injured, it was one of those little annoying ankle-biters that really don't qualify as dogs in my mind; there wasn't even a puncture really, just some scrapes or whatever. I went down the road, cleaned it up, called my supervisor to report, etc.

A few weeks later I have another package for this residence. Once again, here's dog wandering the property. So after sounding the horn on the truck and waiting a minute or two, nobody comes out. I proceed to indirect the package across the street. I get back to the building and there is a concern for me asking why I didn't bring the package to the house. I told the OMS to tell the lady that she knows exactly why I took it across the street (citing the incident from a few weeks previous), and if she wanted, I'd be happy to bring future deliveries to her house, but the safety of her dog would not be guaranteed. Not sure if the OMS told her all of what I said, but I do know I haven't seen the dog in the 5 or so years since that concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

NW, in hindsight, perhaps you should have written something to the effect of "Pkg del to ## due to your dog. If you have any questions call the center" and then followed that up with an ODS explaining why you indirected her pkg.

Did your center manager back you and dismiss the concern?

Re-Raise

This last February I had a delivery for a nice farm house on my route. They have 4 good size dogs that go nuts when I pull in.

I can get my package car about ten feet from a covered porch by pulling all the way up to the garage.

I honk the horn and if no one comes out I have called them on my cell from the driveway to tell them to come out to the truck.

On this day the lady came to the porch and stood there and said they just bark at the truck they won't bite.

I took her at her word and just walked by them like they weren't there. About two steps later a wiemeriener or something like that latches onto the back of my leg.

I swung the board around and nailed him on the side of his head and he took off running.

It was still cold out so I had pants and long johns on so the bite was more of a mouth size pinch than a puncture. It still bled and scabbed up and surprisingly left a pretty good scar.

I got pretty pissed at the lady , not so much because I was hurt but more so because she was too lazy to walk the ten feet to my truck. She started crying and really felt bad.

I deliver to the area I grew up in and everyone knows me and everyone knows her and I have been told by freinds and family of her's that she really felt bad about it but still I wish people wouldn't put us in that situation.

trouble maker

Years ago when we still had Dell, I had to get a signature at a house and asked that the man put the dog in another room (nasty lab). Told him I didn't want to get bit, and he said to me, " There's a first time for everything". I walked back to the pc with dell in hand. Made him come to the pc. Piece of ****!!!:angry:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sleeve, read this thread. http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/badly-bitten-dog-while-getting-signature-owner-329707/ There is a lot of good information in here as well as what has already been said. Talk to your local, see what legal services are available. Follow up with animal control to make sure the dog has been quarantined and see if there are any charges to press (IE: vicious dog). We have the same rights as any public service agency to be on the property. The property owner has the responsibility to make sure we are safe on their property. Home owners insurance will likely pay a claim outside of court. They will also likely drop the owner as an insured after the claim. Hope everything turns out well for you.

tieguy

Banned
Any successful lawsuit could result in yours or the companys insurance company coming back to you to be reimbursed for any expenses they paid ie. medical, lost wages etc.

soberups

Any successful lawsuit could result in yours or the companys insurance company coming back to you to be reimbursed for any expenses they paid ie. medical, lost wages etc.

The company or its insurance company is free to press its own lawsuit against the owner of the dog, since the injury occured on the job and the medical expenses are paid by UPS or its workmans comp carrier.

A suit filed by the driver would be for additional pain and suffering.