Attacked and bit by large dog today

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Any successful lawsuit could result in yours or the companys insurance company coming back to you to be reimbursed for any expenses they paid ie. medical, lost wages etc.

The company or its insurance company is free to press its own lawsuit against the owner of the dog, since the injury occured on the job and the medical expenses are paid by UPS or its workmans comp carrier.

A suit filed by the driver would be for additional pain and suffering.

He knows that.
Tie knows no boundries in the pursuit of defending the omnipitance of his precious company.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, read this thread. http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/badly-bitten-dog-while-getting-signature-owner-329707/ There is a lot of good information in here as well as what has already been said. Talk to your local, see what legal services are available. Follow up with animal control to make sure the dog has been quarantined and see if there are any charges to press (IE: vicious dog). We have the same rights as any public service agency to be on the property. The property owner has the responsibility to make sure we are safe on their property. Home owners insurance will likely pay a claim outside of court. They will also likely drop the owner as an insured after the claim. Hope everything turns out well for you.

THanks dilligaf, very similar case with similar comments and insight. Tomorrow I'm going for the juggular on this one, **** that guy and his big mutt.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
NW, in hindsight, perhaps you should have written something to the effect of "Pkg del to ## due to your dog. If you have any questions call the center" and then followed that up with an ODS explaining why you indirected her pkg.

Did your center manager back you and dismiss the concern?

At the time of the 2nd delivery, I wasn't going onto the customers property because the dog was outside. They were going to have to come and meet me at the curb while I stood in my truck. I would have gladly left an info notice, but I don't like sticking them onto mailboxes (in this case it was possible because their mailbox is at the curb) because I had understood that it was Postal Service property and we had no business placing anything in or on it.

My center manager at the time was a good woman that always had our backs on matters of safety and had the OMS "handle it".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Please do not think that I am questioning what you did as I agree 100% with what you did. I would have stuck the info notice, with the written statement, on one of her pieces of mail. Yeah, yeah, Federal offense, blah, blah, blah. You're not tampering with her mail--you are simply putting it there to ensure that she sees it.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Please do not think that I am questioning what you did as I agree 100% with what you did. I would have stuck the info notice, with the written statement, on one of her pieces of mail. Yeah, yeah, Federal offense, blah, blah, blah. You're not tampering with her mail--you are simply putting it there to ensure that she sees it.

No I understand what you are saying, it's just that you really never know how vindictive some people can be. As silly as it may sound, I respect the rules regarding mailboxes 100%. I see mail people walking or driving down the street removing the chinese take-out menus, etc. and throwing them to the ground and I have to be under the assumption they would do the same to an info notice because I'm a cover driver, so I don't know what mail people are cool with us on a certain area or not.

My center manager jokingly told me she can't understand some people. She said that the lady got her package, her dog is still alive, she still lives in her house, and I left the stop without shedding blood, so it was a success! I really do miss that center manager, she was my all-time favorite.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I wonder the percentage of people that dont have homeowners insurance ?

My guess is that it may be more than most people expect. My wife works for a bank and in her experiences, most mortgage companies require you to carry some kind of homeowners insurance for the balance of the loan.

Theoretically, that means when the mortgage is paid off, you are free to drop the insurance. Though I personally can't imagine people dropping it, you've potentially worked your entire life for this investment, the least you would want to do is protect it, but that's just me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is hardly a day that goes by without the local paper carrying a story about a fire which destroys a home and displaces the family. The final paragraph of these stories usually indicates whether they had insurance or not and it is usually 50/50. Of those who didn't, there is usually a plea for donations. I pay $162 per year for insurance for my condo. A small price for the piece of mind I have knowing that I am protected and will not have to rely on the generosity of others to make up for me trying to save a few bucks.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I wonder the percentage of people that dont have homeowners insurance ?

I have homeowners insurance and I don't believe it is so expensive that it is not affordable. Through USAA I believe I pay around $650/year for $250,000 land and rebuilding costs.. Small price to pay in reality.