Attaining Seniority?

Mrsluzius

I was hired on as a PT box handler and was hired on permanently. I was told by my union steward that my seniority date was 9/11/13. I paid my initiation fee and my dues are taken out of my check monthly.

After Thanksgiving I was surprised to see how low my check was and I informed my supervisor that my 2 holidays was not put on my check. Although I did receive pay for the hours that I worked on the day after Thanksgiving.

I was told that I do not get ANY holiday pay until after I have been a employee for one year. However I stumble upon my employment packet that they gave me when I was first hired on. It states that I get four hours of holiday pay after I attain seniority. It says nothing about a year.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this wrong and attaining seniority means a year employment or if I've been shorted pay. Please help.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You attained seniority and are in the union. It may depend on which local you're in....but as far as I'm aware, you will not receive any paid days off (personal or sick days) or holiday pay until a year from the date you were hired (not the date you attained seniority).

saintrick

Article22
Section 7. Benefit Entitlements
Part-time employees hired after August 1, 2008 will receive holidays,
personal days and option days provided by any applicable
Supplement, Rider, or Addendum no earlier than after one (1) year
of active employment. This provision supersedes any provision on
the same subject in any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum to the
extent the provision makes holidays, personal days or option days
available earlier than after one (1) year of service.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was told that I do not get ANY holiday pay until after I have been a employee for one year. However I stumble upon my employment packet that they gave me when I was first hired on. It states that I get four hours of holiday pay after I attain seniority. It says nothing about a year.

Who provided the packet?

As Clinton would say, it depends on the meaning of is.

The contract will override whatever is in the packet unfortunately.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Who provided the packet?

As Clinton would say, it depends on the meaning of is.

The contract will override whatever is in the packet unfortunately.
The packet I got at orientation said I would get a turkey at Christmas, if I would have known that wasn't true there's no way I would have stayed. :wince:

Seriously though, my orientation packet did have a lot of old info in it. How hard is it to type up a few new pages, or at least cross out the incorrect stuff before you photo copy it. I gotta get a job in HR I'm working to hard apparently.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The packet I got at orientation said I would get a turkey at Christmas, if I would have known that wasn't true there's no way I would have stayed. :wince:

Seriously though, my orientation packet did have a lot of old info in it. How hard is it to type up a few new pages, or at least cross out the incorrect stuff before you photo copy it. I gotta get a job in HR I'm working to hard apparently.

It's a year to get holiday pay regardless of what your local supplement says.