Attendance Issues

upsgrunt

I agree on this, I see it way too often. We have a driver in my Center with two or three no call/no shows during this last Peak. She should have been fired, there is no excuse for not picking up the phone and calling in. She should be fired, she does a lousy job too and pawns work off on other drivers. If you don't want the job, let somebody have it who does. I notice the Twilight Sort Manager stands at the entrance door and wonders if he will have enough workers show up for his shift, this is ridiculous. I guess I was raised a different way, I have only called in sick four times in 35 years.

Totally agree; I've called in twice in 25 years. I'm pretty sure that it was you (problem employee) that asked for the job at UPS; they didn't ask you. Show up, show up on time, and do your job. It's not fair to the people who do show up everyday.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I agree on this, I see it way too often. We have a driver in my Center with two or three no call/no shows during this last Peak. She should have been fired, there is no excuse for not picking up the phone and calling in. She should be fired, she does a lousy job too and pawns work off on other drivers. If you don't want the job, let somebody have it who does. I notice the Twilight Sort Manager stands at the entrance door and wonders if he will have enough workers show up for his shift, this is ridiculous. I guess I was raised a different way, I have only called in sick four times in 35 years.

Now you're gonna make Green Grocer mad. Only bonus babies pawn off work. She is not a lousy driver, just works by the methods, doesn't skip lunch. blah, blah, friend-ing blah!

curiousbrain

Totally agree; I've called in twice in 25 years. I'm pretty sure that it was you (problem employee) that asked for the job at UPS; they didn't ask you. Show up, show up on time, and do your job. It's not fair to the people who do show up everyday.

This just happens to have been on my mind lately, so excuse me for the somewhat OT ...

I have this attitude myself, and it actually has gotten to the point where I am somewhat ostracized from those I work with - not to mention the entire unload crew thinks I smooch keister. I try and explain myself by saying pretty much that "UPS hired me, I'm not doing them a favor by working for them", so on and so forth - but what does it say about the attitude of the average worker (at least, around these parts) that I have to explain why I show up on time and work hard every day anyway? I've had people actually tell me things to the effect of, 'Hey, quit working so hard.'

As a result of this attitude, management at the building likes the work I do and they move me around from time to time and they don't rag on me constantly if I make a mistake because ... *gasp* ... I have a track record of working hard and not making mistakes.

I could go on, but I've said enough - just seemed like a convenient place to vent.

End off-topic blathering.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
This just happens to have been on my mind lately, so excuse me for the somewhat OT ...

I have this attitude myself, and it actually has gotten to the point where I am somewhat ostracized from those I work with - not to mention the entire unload crew thinks I smooch keister. I try and explain myself by saying pretty much that "UPS hired me, I'm not doing them a favor by working for them", so on and so forth - but what does it say about the attitude of the average worker (at least, around these parts) that I have to explain why I show up on time and work hard every day anyway? I've had people actually tell me things to the effect of, 'Hey, quit working so hard.'

As a result of this attitude, management at the building likes the work I do and they move me around from time to time and they don't rag on me constantly if I make a mistake because ... *gasp* ... I have a track record of working hard and not making mistakes.

I could go on, but I've said enough - just seemed like a convenient place to vent.

End off-topic blathering.

We need more people like you.

1timepu

And you are proud of this .........why?

Here, you would be gone by the first month for being late that many times.

Let me ask you a question. IF you had a business that relied on workers to be there at a certain time, would that be acceptable for you?

d

Didn't say I was proud of those employee's, may complaint is they get away with it while somebody else with 10 late's get hung, my argument is UPS does not treat everybody the same when it comes to punishment!

1timepu

Her we are entitled to 6 days sick and personal time. I take all 6 days every year, only cause I worked 7 year's straight and found out that not only they didn't appreciate that, they even dumped on me more work, so yea I take off an additional 6 day's plus my 6 weeks vacation, the more time I can spend away from this company and with my Family the better, I just can't wait till my 7th week Vacation.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
my argument is UPS does not treat everybody the same when it comes to punishment!
There is no argument there. Seen a lot of that first hand. Seen a feeder driver at his 3rd arbitration hearing for a cracked mirror (each time he went prior, they ran out of time, and postponed his case), but yet one of the managers Fav drivers can have a roll away, and no less than 5 witnessed accidents with serious package car damage, and not one word.

So no, equal treatment of equal problems is not something that UPS is known for.

So, moral of the story is, dont let attendence be what puts you out in the street.

d

menotyou

bella amicizia
I hate it when people who are sick refuse to call out and then drag their nasty, yucky sick germs to work with them to spread around to everyone. They are selfish. You are given time for a reason.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I hate it when people who are sick refuse to call out and then drag their nasty, yucky sick germs to work with them to spread around to everyone. They are selfish. You are given time for a reason.
So if you dont get sick days you should drag your nasty, icky sick bod to work. ? LOL

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

What do you mean selfish? Isn't wanting to share your germs the opposite of selfish?:sick: