Attending calling hours in your browns

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Let's say you just found out a dear family friend passed and calling hours are an hour away and only till 8 pm. Instead of the " just bang in" comments. Do you think it would be more disrespectful to attend in uniform, or not to attend at all?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Let's say you just found out a dear family friend passed and calling hours are an hour away and only till 8 pm. Instead of the " just bang in" comments. Do you think it would be more disrespectful to attend in uniform, or not to attend at all?

Not disrespectful at all.

But, do you have a locker room in your building? You could always change if you would feel more comfortable.

Camping Nana

First, let me say, I am sorry for the loss of your friend. To answer your question, personally, if it were my family and you were a close friend and my friendship meant anything at all to me, I would rather see you come in your browns straight from work than not show at all. If you are close to them, your friend's family understands your job and the hours you work. JMHO

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If time is of the essence, it would not be disrespectful at all to show your respects while in uniform. Try to clean up as much as possible, slap on some deodorant and pay your respects.

Sorry for your loss.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Honestly....no one's really going to care much what you're wearing. I'm sure they'll be grateful that you were able to come and pay your respects. But if you're really self conscious about it...why not pack a clean shirt and pants and just change real quick before you go? Sorry for your loss...

Cementups

Box Monkey
We had a former center manager pass away a few years ago-----most of us went to the wake in our browns.

One of my very good friends and driver on the route next to me passed away unexpectedly in his sleep one night. He was like a dad to me. Close to 100 drivers in their browns showed up. Even retired drivers dug out a old brown hat or some such thing to represent a bit of solidarity.
I still miss that acehole. :(

Packmule

Not disrespectful at all.

But, do you have a locker room in your building? You could always change if you would feel more comfortable.
Can't count how many things I've showed up on brown for, including my mother-on-law's funeral. Family is used to it. That's why they call me Mr. Brown!

Z

ZQXC

Young feeder driver died in a horrible accident......

The other truck left the roadway (interstate), came across the median and hit our guy head on. Cab was crushed and burning.

Every driver at the center attended the funeral in uniform, and stood along the side aisles of the large church for the full service.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I live an hour from work and to make it home and change< I would never make it. I have showed up for colleagues, family members of co workers etc, always in Browns. No one cares, its that you thought enough to come.

Packmule

Young feeder driver died in a horrible accident......

The other truck left the roadway (interstate), came across the median and hit our guy head on. Cab was crushed and burning.

Every driver at the center attended the funeral in uniform, and stood along the side aisles of the large church for the full service.
Awesome!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Honestly....no one's really going to care much what you're wearing. I'm sure they'll be grateful that you were able to come and pay your respects. But if you're really self conscious about it...why not pack a clean shirt and pants and just change real quick before you go? Sorry for your loss...

I have done this very thing.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Most people know we work ridiculous hours and understand completely that we dont have time to go home and change like normal people do.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Just being there is the right thing to do. Most people respect the working man and you made the effort. Sorry for your loss.