August 2018

2BadKneesPlease

Hello Everyone,

New hire here going through my 30 day qualification.
Seeing a lot of talk about the changes coming about with the next contract, what does everyone see happening with the next contract?

I came to UPS for the (eventual) stability of work, good pay and the benefits that my previous employer could not offer me. Getting paid to drop a few lbs by running my rear end off is a nice benefit too.

Am I reading to far into it or is August 1st 2018 going to be a gloomy day for us?

Hello Everyone,

New hire here going through my 30 day qualification.
Seeing a lot of talk about the changes coming about with the next contract, what does everyone see happening with the next contract?

I came to UPS for the (eventual) stability of work, good pay and the benefits that my previous employer could not offer me. Getting paid to drop a few lbs by running my rear end off is a nice benefit too.

Am I reading to far into it or is August 1st 2018 going to be a gloomy day for us?
Trying to make your 30 days will be hard enough.
Don't worry about 2018.

2BadKneesPlease

So you're a 30 day temp worried about August 2018?

I know it seems like I should be concerned about what I'm going through right now but it never hurts to look over the horizon a little.

I've just noticed August 2018 brought up in a negative way in certain threads but never elaborated on...

Notretiredyet

New contract in 2018, every contract brings new issues and speculation about what will come up in negotiations. Make a commitment to get involved by learning the issues that concern you now, cause UPS already has their plans in place for 2018. Most of all have to right to vote on it, by joining the union if you're in a RTW state.

By The Book

I know it seems like I should be concerned about what I'm going through right now but it never hurts to look over the horizon a little.

I've just noticed August 2018 brought up in a negative way in certain threads but never elaborated on...
I'm thinking you don't even have a contract to read. There are a lot of members who were hired after August 1st. These members didn't vote on the last contract. If by chance you have one, read it. If you don't have one see if your local has extras. Good luck on your qualifying.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Wish more guys that have been here for years would have the same concern and put some money away for things like work stoppages. It would make us stronger in times of peril and show the company we mean business. I know it's 3 years away, but it doesn't take a work stoppage to realize you need a cushion in case the SHTF.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Wish more guys that have been here for years would have the same concern and put some money away for things like work stoppages. It would make us stronger in times of peril and show the company we mean business. I know it's 3 years away, but it doesn't take a work stoppage to realize you need a cushion in case the SHTF.
image.jpg

Dr.Brownz

People were flpping out before the last contract on august 2013. Don't worry about it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Most of what you are hearing is speculation. People's opinions. Just like my thoughts.

Nothing concrete or confirmed, just my opinion.

Get your 30 days in first. Be active in your local union. Understand the contract.

My opinion is that current employees will be just fine. Little or no changes. I see the changes coming for those not yet hired. The unborn.

They do not have a vote. Would you vote yes if UPS says that they will keep your wages where they are only if you vote to cap any new hires at a lower rate?

That is why the last Master passed. The employees already in Teamcare voted yes because they got their raises and kept their insurance.

They did not care that it forced other employees into Teamcare. They did not care that it increased the progression for new hires.

Everybody for themselves.

We will see even longer progressions or caps for new hires because the majority of current employees do not care.

They will vote to screw the new hires even more just like they voted to screw them on the last contract.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Strike Strike Strike Strike Strike Strike Strike Strike Strike Strike Strike Strike Strike

I don't think as a publicly traded company you will se UPS letting us strike so easily anymore. They saw the damage '07 did and shareholders would not be happy if that was to happen again.

rod

Retired 22 years
I doubt you will ever see another strike at UPS again. There just doesn't seem to be enough people interested in preserving what the have now to step up to the plate and protect it. While continuing to making money hand over fist forever they have some how convinced the rank and file that there is no more "piece of pie" available to share.