August 2018

UPSGUY72

Hello Everyone,

New hire here going through my 30 day qualification.
Seeing a lot of talk about the changes coming about with the next contract, what does everyone see happening with the next contract?

I came to UPS for the (eventual) stability of work, good pay and the benefits that my previous employer could not offer me. Getting paid to drop a few lbs by running my rear end off is a nice benefit too.

Am I reading to far into it or is August 1st 2018 going to be a gloomy day for us?

Don't put the cart before the horse...

wayfair

swollen member
The benefits UPS provides to PT employees are difficult to top. Many consider the PT job at UPS as their main health insurance contributor along with having some additional money making job(s) on the side. It's why many preloaders are farmers and/or have their own businesses like lawncare.

I know a guy that works pt preload, that is an instructor for the FAA... only here for the benefits

Fragile

Right to work will ruin unions and the labor movement. It will continue to separate the upper class from the lower class and pretty much eliminate the middle class.

Americans who are trapped in the middle class will continue trying to keep up with the Joneses' by buying gadgets and other material objects in a attempt to demonstrate wealth but in reality will push themselves into the lower classes.

It's a nasty ride but we need to make it. UPS and the Teamsters are only a small player in this huge chess game. Odds and time are against you. Good luck.

rod

Retired 22 years
Years ago I'd collect that much in COD money daily. Had a safe in the cab of the truck.The safes are gone now, still using the trucks.

I had a very popular gun dealer who ran his business out of his house out in the sticks. It was nothing to leave his place most every day with 2 to 5 thousand in cash. We didn't have safes. It was too much to put in my billfold so I would hide it on a shelf in the back under some extra clothes I always carried. I was always a little leary leaving that place and kept a close watch to make sure I wasn't being followed. I would have been an easy target--I wouldn't have resisted at all.

JL 0513

I think one of the largest issues with the next contract will deal with health care. It's pretty much certain that unfavorable changes are coming do to the ACA. Starting in 2018, our union "Cadillac Plans" will receive a big new tax. This is a tax that was supposed to be in effect shortly after the bill passed but unions won an exemption until 2018.

A number of things could happen because of this. Will UPS force us to finally contribute to our health care costs just as most Americans do? Or if the union doesn't agree to that will we have our benefits reduced? Higher co-pays? The easy way out for UPS is to drop down to non "Cadillac" plans.

Aside from that, we'll likely see the usual general wage increases.

The idea of a future strike I just don't see. Guys driving around delivering cardboard making around $35/hr (in 2017) and still getting health insurance and building a pension proposing a strike would be ludicrous. When comparing to the majority of what Americans are compensated, it wouldn't make sense.

MAKAVELI

The Cadillac tax goes into effect for everyone in 2018, not just union employers. FedEx has used this tax as an excuse to raise our deductible and lower coverage 4 years before it goes into effect.

By The Book

The Cadillac tax goes into effect for everyone in 2018, not just union employers. FedEx has used this tax as an excuse to raise our deductible and lower coverage 4 years before it goes into effect.
So now you've paid for their taxes in advance and got screwed twice, that's bs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't think as a publicly traded company you will se UPS letting us strike so easily anymore. They saw the damage '07 did and shareholders would not be happy if that was to happen again.
If that's the case why did the IBT fold like a cheap tent last contract?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I think one of the largest issues with the next contract will deal with health care. It's pretty much certain that unfavorable changes are coming do to the ACA. Starting in 2018, our union "Cadillac Plans" will receive a big new tax. This is a tax that was supposed to be in effect shortly after the bill passed but unions won an exemption until 2018.

A number of things could happen because of this. Will UPS force us to finally contribute to our health care costs just as most Americans do? Or if the union doesn't agree to that will we have our benefits reduced? Higher co-pays? The easy way out for UPS is to drop down to non "Cadillac" plans.

Aside from that, we'll likely see the usual general wage increases.

The idea of a future strike I just don't see. Guys driving around delivering cardboard making around $35/hr (in 2017) and still getting health insurance and building a pension proposing a strike would be ludicrous. When comparing to the majority of what Americans are compensated, it wouldn't make sense.

Don't know what insurance you have, but for most UPS employees, it is Teamcare.

A few have different plans, but the majority is Teamcare and it is NOT a Cadillac Plan.