August Raise

BrownBrokeDown

You know, I continually speak with the kids that get brought in as pt, but the union isn't visible, so to speak, in my area at night. I see the kids get documented and maybe 1 out of 10 actually call for a union steward just because they don't know or don't think about as being one of their rights.

stink219

You know, I continually speak with the kids that get brought in as pt, but the union isn't visible, so to speak, in my area at night. I see the kids get documented and maybe 1 out of 10 actually call for a union steward just because they don't know or don't think about as being one of their rights.
That is everyone's responsibility to do. Not just your BA. We meet with every new hire in our building. Part timers are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way! Hmmm, sounds familiar.

BrownBrokeDown

That is everyone's responsibility to do. Not just your BA. We meet with every new hire in our building. Part timers are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way! Hmmm, sounds familiar.

I wasn't even talking about the BA. The stewards did not meet with any of the part timers that I know. I wish that was an established practice in my building.

just wanted to say, I try to make sure they know they have the right for a steward to be present, but...

Last edited:

stink219

Hey, if you fail, if you succeed, at least you did what you believe...
But your right, stewards should spread the word. We have an informal mentoring program at our building. Every steward takes a belt. How many stewards do you have and how many hourlies?

RealPerson

OK partner but that theory gets blown up by the $3.90 wage bump as compared to the $5.00 benefit bump. Further gets blown up by the additionnal year of progression, which lowers dues as wages are lower.
Keep swinging, you'll hit one.

WOW
Apples and Oranges.
$3.90 goes to the workers Check
$5.00 Goes to the UNION
Union Dues still go up, AND we get lower Healthcare
AND
150,000 being added to a Health plan with $5.00 per hour per person they can't get the Current FT, 22.3's Better coverage????

RealPerson

Do you really think costs will stay the same forever?? Prices go up, thats just the way it is.

Yep, BUT UPS raises rates every year to accommodate.... AND
UPS had Record Profits on our Backs.
All the signs point to even higher Profits.

When you add $5 (by the end of the contract) AND add 150,000 people to a plan, I think they can do better than what you currently have. Maybe someone sucks at negotiations.

If you listen to Obama, he said health care wont go up, so what is it????

LOL

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
But your right, stewards should spread the word. We have an informal mentoring program at our building. Every steward takes a belt. How many stewards do you have and how many hourlies?

These people need to keep in mind that no matter what they take from them, they can't take away their dignity. :greedy:

I'm a PTer still in my four year "progression". I hit my 3rd year August 2nd. I also have my pickoff dollar. Does that mean I get 50 cents on August 2nd as outlined in the current contract? Which would put me at 12/hr. then once this new contract is ratified. I would get a dollar an hour retroactively from August 2nd since under the new contract at 3 years with the pickoff dollar I should be at 13/hr or do I have to wait until ratification to get the full 1.50/hr bump?

BrownBrokeDown

Honestly, I'm not sure of how many stewards on my shift. I know of 2 personally, there might be more. On my wall, which has 3 pd areas, we have approximately 18 employees, at least half of which have been there less than 1 year. Of those that have less than a year, I am unaware of any being in the union.

BrownSanta

@Wally union dues are calculated @ a rate of 2 1/2 times your hourly rate.....if we get a raise then the union does. I wish the same was for all members when UPS makes 8-10% each year. But noooooo we get 1% barely AND our national leaders thinks this is a good contract. :p

Yankeebayonet

I'm a PTer still in my four year "progression". I hit my 3rd year August 2nd. I also have my pickoff dollar. Does that mean I get 50 cents on August 2nd as outlined in the current contract? Which would put me at 12/hr. then once this new contract is ratified. I would get a dollar an hour retroactively from August 2nd since under the new contract at 3 years with the pickoff dollar I should be at 13/hr or do I have to wait until ratification to get the full 1.50/hr bump?

Colby?

rudy5150

All the part timers should make atleast $16 an hour thats half of full timers hourly wage..anyone making less than that is getting screwed!