Auto Mechanics Beware of Jack Stand Violations and Hazards

Integrity

Binge Poster
I can't see or find any explanation as to why the manufacturer (or anybody) says its unsafe to use them to support both ends. (said the mechanic simpleton with a BA and associate's degree in 2 different fields):raspberry:
1BROWNWRENCH,

I have reached out to a representative of a well known jack stand manufacturer with your question.

As soon as I have an answer to your question I will post it.

Sincerely,
I

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The ignorant part was your stating that mechanics were not considered to be wise. We have to make serious and informed decisions about complex machines every day. You should know better.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The ignorant part was your stating that mechanics were not considered to be wise. We have to make serious and informed decisions about complex machines every day. You should know better.
1BROWNWRENCH,

I am sorry for my insensitive statement.

I never said you were not a good mechanic.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I can't see or find any explanation as to why the manufacturer (or anybody) says its unsafe to use them to support both ends. (said the mechanic simpleton with a BA and associate's degree in 2 different fields):raspberry:
1BROWNWRENCH,

The following is the dialogue with an engineer at a jack stand manufacture:

Integrity: The multiple warnings to utilize only 1 pair of jack stands was recently
discussed and disputed at a safety discussion I was involved in. Your directions
are clear but some of the older more experienced mechanics are not convinced
that using 2 pair is unsafe. The reasons for the warnings would be very helpful
in furthering the discussion. I would like to know why the multiple warnings and
what failures and accidents can actually happen as a result of using 2 pair. I
thank you in advance and in interest of the safe use of your product.

Engineer: This is part of the national safety standards for jack stands. It applies to
all manufacturers. The chance of the load shifting and falling while placing or
removing the second set of stands it too great.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
It seems the manufacturers have the ensuing lawsuits brought injured amateurs in mind more than anything else, IMHO.
1BROWNWRENCH,

An honest opinion doesn't make a person or an organization any less obligated see that all manufacturer safety warnings in the equipment instructions are followed and enforced.

In your opinion what would be needed to accomplish the same benefit that using 2 pair of jack stands provides?

Sincerely,
I

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
All risks can be managed to an acceptable level with skill and training. Manufacturers manage their risks by practicing corporate CYA and gear things toward the lowest common denominator. I am not aware of any solutions to using 2 pair of jack stands that UPS is willing to pay for or is willing to accept the risks of, which are even higher.
Having used 4 post lifts in the past, I can confidently say these are something we will never get. Pits are another liability they won't tolerate. A lot of buildings Automotive operates in don't even have adequate overhead to operate a lift.
In short, we mechanics are skilled and experienced enough that 4 stands in use at the same time is not a significant risk and the only real option to carry out an effective PMI.

All risks can be managed to an acceptable level with skill and training. Manufacturers manage their risks by practicing corporate CYA and gear things toward the lowest common denominator. I am not aware of any solutions to using 2 pair of jack stands that UPS is willing to pay for or is willing to accept the risks of, which are even higher.
Having used 4 post lifts in the past, I can confidently say these are something we will never get. Pits are another liability they won't tolerate. A lot of buildings Automotive operates in don't even have adequate overhead to operate a lift.
In short, we mechanics are skilled and experienced enough that 4 stands in use at the same time is not a significant risk and the only real option to carry out an effective PMI.
Parts on order,safe to operate.