Automatic Transmission Now Standard?

asphaltcowboy

Bout my second month the PC I was driving was redtagged and I ended up with a old high step with no power steering and everything just tossed in the center of the truck. Couldn't find a single air package. Yes I violated that day and punched out at 2313 will never forget it

margaritaville

As a cut driver i always hated walking to the front of my truck to find a stick over the last couple years. So this is great news. However, this makes me jealous of upcoming new drivers who don't have to experience that "ugh" feeling. Then again, i'm sure the higher senority drivers prob pissed i didn't experience sufferings they had to deal with.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Lately I've seen many UPS trucks with auto trannys. One driver told me that the company is switching over to them. If true, fantastic. I never drove any standard trannys worse than those at UPS.

Not switching everything over, but all new package cars are automatics.

As the 4 speeds end their useful life, we will have all automatics.

I heard that all new tractors will be auto also.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I laugh when I hear the new drivers whine about having to drive the mid-90's package cars with stick shifts. Those cars might have stick shifts, but they also have power steering, low steps, and adjustable high-backed seats. They aren't bad to work out of at all. Back in the mid-90's we would kill to have gotten one of those cars, at that time most of use were still driving P-600's with manual steering and high steps. I still remember my first power steering car, a 1994 P-700, #654572. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, even though it was a stick.

I've banged my shin up on more than one ocassion missing that first step.

I swear it was at least 2 foot off the ground.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I heard that all new tractors will be auto also.
I'm interested to hear what the feeder guys think of this. In my hometown a big food distributor switched to all automatics and the drivers absolutely hated them. Said they were just garbage. Within a couple years they had discarded them all and went back to manual.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think we made the switch once the heavy duty Alison 5 speed Automatic became available in the late 90's. Prior to that there simply was not an automatic transmission that would have held up to the stop and go driving we do. The main reason for automatics now is emissions, the transmission is connected to the electronic ignition and computerized fuel injection and can be programmed for optimum economy and minimal emissions.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Ups should want nothing but automatics. Orion is already suppose to make it where anyone can do our job. Take out the manual transmission and in their mind any high school student should be able to do our job.

Interesting point that I had not considered before you mentioned it. You can't hire some punk off the street now, expecting that he
can operate a manual transmission.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
tumblr_n90li6Pq0y1qz4yh1o1_400.gif

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We had a supervisor transfer to Hungry. He was kind of a tool.
Try learning to spell, Hungary.

I'd say 80% of our hub's package cars are automatics.

Also, I see around 20-30 brand new package cars in the yard. Funny that they're all 1000's and up....I'm guessing the stop and piece counts are going up on a few routes...:D

Indecisi0n

Try learning to spell, Hungary.

I'd say 80% of our hub's package cars are automatics.

Also, I see around 20-30 brand new package cars in the yard. Funny that they're all 1000's and up....I'm guessing the stop and piece counts are going up on a few routes...:D
What the idiots fail to realize is some routes have small cars for a reason.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I'm not much of a mechanic, but what exactly happens when starting in 2nd? like why is that so bad for the clutch and transmission
Less mechanical advantage to break the inertia. Therefore there is more slippage of the clutch because of the increased resistance to get moving. The gears were put there for a reason.