Automatic Transmission Now Standard?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Imagine how awful it would be if some unknown person accidentally spilled a pound or two of sugar into the fuel tank by mistake. Those late 80's dinosaurs are no longer cost effective to do a major engine rebuild on, so they would become extinct. It would truly be a tragedy.
Not necessary. Definitely not worth the risk. Better vehicles are gathering dust. Let things take care of themselves.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
When we are given extra help in carwash , none of the kids knows how to drive a stick . Which means that the carwashers now become babysitters . Production actually decreases . And the kids don't have a clue , no matter how many times they are instructed , to properly clean a PC .
Some of the kids can't even drive the autos , the concept of driving a PC straight forwards and then straight back into it's assigned spot is to taxing on their mind set .

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Odd thing is the steps seem to be getting a bit higher again. I have a 2013 85xxxx (my baby) and recently when they pulled mine for a day for maintanance I got a new 861xxx with 1,000 miles on it for the day. The step and rear bumper/step are higher off the ground than my truck. Thought that was odd. I wouldn't change anything on my truck if I could.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Odd thing is the steps seem to be getting a bit higher again. I have a 2013 85xxxx (my baby) and recently when they pulled mine for a day for maintanance I got a new 861xxx with 1,000 miles on it for the day. The step and rear bumper/step are higher off the ground than my truck. Thought that was odd. I wouldn't change anything on my truck if I could.
I drive a 2013 85**** as well and it's pretty good.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
we actually use a fair amount of the old high step pcs. not as many as the spicers though. what would you call the old high steps?
We called the old GMC high-steps "iron maidens" because they had the ergonomics of a medieval torture rack. They had high steps, narrow doors, cramped cabs, non-adjustable low-backed seats, manual steering and an underpowered 4.3 liter V-6 with a 4-speed manual that kept you frantically rowing through the gears in a futile attempt to find some sort of a power band. To run a route in one was to spend 10-12 hours fighting equipment that was intentionally designed to beat the crap out of you and make the job as difficult and dangerous as possible.

oldngray

nowhere special
We called the old GMC high-steps "iron maidens" because they had the ergonomics of a medieval torture rack. They had high steps, narrow doors, cramped cabs, non-adjustable low-backed seats, manual steering and an underpowered 4.3 liter V-6 with a 4-speed manual that kept you frantically rowing through the gears in a futile attempt to find some sort of a power band. To run a route in one was to spend 10-12 hours fighting equipment that was intentionally designed to beat the crap out of you and make the job as difficult and dangerous as possible.

The 4.3 V-6 was a dog but most of them had the GMC 292 straight 6 which was far more reliable but even more under powered.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Imagine how awful it would be if some unknown person accidentally spilled a pound or two of sugar into the fuel tank by mistake. Those late 80's dinosaurs are no longer cost effective to do a major engine rebuild on, so they would become extinct. It would truly be a tragedy.

Too much risk involved. Get seen doing it and that is willfull destruction of UPS property.

How about accidently popping the clutch in first gear at 4000 rpm?

Not worth replacing the tranny either.

If they checked telematics, you could just say my foot slipped. More likely than not, the mechanic will just chalk it up to tranny failure and they won't even look at telematics.

soberups

The 4.3 V-6 was a dog but most of them had the GMC 292 straight 6 which was far more reliable but even more under powered.
The bigger problem was the transmission. It was a 4 speed with a compound low granny gear, so effectively you really only had 3 gears and they were spaced too far apart. Going up steep hills, for instance, you couldn't pull the hill in 3rd gear and 2nd was so low that you would be redlining the engine at about 18MPH. Those cars would have been much faster and more driveable with a 5 speed manual instead of the 4 speed.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Too much risk involved. Get seen doing it and that is willfull destruction of UPS property.

How about accidently popping the clutch in first gear at 4000 rpm?

Not worth replacing the tranny either.

If they checked telematics, you could just say my foot slipped. More likely than not, the mechanic will just chalk it up to tranny failure and they won't even look at telematics.
Telematics wouldn't show anything like that anyway. It does not monitor the engine on the old cars.

The Milkman

I laugh when I hear the new drivers whine about having to drive the mid-90's package cars with stick shifts. Those cars might have stick shifts, but they also have power steering, low steps, and adjustable high-backed seats. They aren't bad to work out of at all. Back in the mid-90's we would kill to have gotten one of those cars, at that time most of use were still driving P-600's with manual steering and high steps. I still remember my first power steering car, a 1994 P-700, #654572. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, even though it was a stick.

Back in the mid 80's my left knee would be 1/16th of an inch away from the hand brake in my P-500, just hoped I was never in an accident because that handle would of crushed my knee..Oh the good old days at Ups

soberups

Back in the mid 80's my left knee would be 1/16th of an inch away from the hand brake in my P-500, just hoped I was never in an accident because that handle would of crushed my knee..Oh the good old days at Ups
Back in the mid 80's, your forehead would have only been about 2 feet away from the windshield in that P-500, so had you been in an accident the lack of a 3 point seatbelt would have caused your upper body to whiplash forward and smash your face and head right through that windshield. On the bright side, however, the resulting catastrophic brain damage would have prevented you from feeling any pain in your knee had you survived.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Back in the mid 80's, your forehead would have only been about 2 feet away from the windshield in that P-500, so had you been in an accident the lack of a 3 point seatbelt would have caused your upper body to whiplash forward and smash your face and head right through that windshield. On the bright side, however, the resulting catastrophic brain damage would have prevented you from feeling any pain in your knee had you survived.
200_s.gif