Automotive discounts

GoneBrown

I'm thinking about buying a new car and I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of the auto discounts available. If so, do you have any advice?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm thinking about buying a new car and I'm wondering if anyone has tried any of the auto discounts available. If so, do you have any advice?

I have used the discounts for both Chevrolet and Nissan. My advice would be to print out the discount information from upsers.com, bring it with you to the dealership but leave it in your pocket (at first)---try to get your best deal without the discount. You may find that you can get a better deal without using the discount. Confusing? When you use the discount it is a percentage off of the dealer cost without negotiation. It is usually best to wait until the end of the month as most dealers are anxious to get the cars off the lot so as not to have to pay tax on them and may be more willing to deal.

Returntosender

I tried, Chevy Colorado, 17gs. Declined I seen those prices news paper ads. Once you submit your info for the discount it's only valid for 45 days. As upstate said. deal first before showing the coupon. Keep in mind once you submit the info the dealer will contact you first. If you wait you could get a good deal when they have the 2012 models clearance sale.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I was shopping for a new Subaru in August of 2010. I was going to use the discount, as well. But, as the others have suggested, you might get a better deal without it. I did. I got almost $15,000 off a new 2010 Volvo s80. It was $1,500 more than I was going to spend on my Subaru and had a way better warranty. Brakes covered and all suggested maitainence, including oil changes, included. I got so much more car. Keep your eyes open and you'd be surprised at the deals you can get, without that discount.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That's the way to go. I don't care to buy new, I love the savings. Recently sold my Audi I had for a year. Sold at a 700 profit that is!! Can't beat that.
I didn't plan on buying new. I was looking a nice buyback or something like that. I have to have AWD. This car fell into my lap. 0% interest, too. I doubt I'll buy new, again. I need a nice old truck. Schittbox, as they use to call them. Something for hauling trash and stuff that I don't want in the car.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
That's the way to go. I don't care to buy new, I love the savings. Recently sold my Audi I had for a year. Sold at a 700 profit that is!! Can't beat that.
I didn't plan on buying new. I was looking a nice buyback or something like that. I have to have AWD. This car fell into my lap. 0% interest, too. I doubt I'll buy new, again. I need a nice old truck. Schittbox, as they use to call them. Something for hauling trash and stuff that I don't want in the car.

That's a great deal. I have a small business that I always buy new vehicles for, downtime is a killer so new is the way to go.
I really want to get my wife a new ml350. Incredible vehicle, but incredibly expensive too. I think she's gonna have to wait a couple years til I can get a descent one, used.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have used the discounts for both Chevrolet and Nissan. My advice would be to print out the discount information from upsers.com, bring it with you to the dealership but leave it in your pocket (at first)---try to get your best deal without the discount. You may find that you can get a better deal without using the discount. Confusing? When you use the discount it is a percentage off of the dealer cost without negotiation. It is usually best to wait until the end of the month as most dealers are anxious to get the cars off the lot so as not to have to pay tax on them and may be more willing to deal.
The only other suggestion I would add to this is to go when all staff (IE: those that make the final decision on prices) is available. When I bought mine in 06 I went in on a Sunday and had issues with this. The manager was unavailable to make final decisions.

The only other suggestion I would add to this is to go when all staff (IE: those that make the final decision on prices) is available. When I bought mine in 06 I went in on a Sunday and had issues with this. The manager was unavailable to make final decisions.

The threat of walking out gets them on the phone.

packageguy

I was shopping for a new Subaru in August of 2010. I was going to use the discount, as well. But, as the others have suggested, you might get a better deal without it. I did. I got almost $15,000 off a new 2010 Volvo s80. It was $1,500 more than I was going to spend on my Subaru and had a way better warranty. Brakes covered and all suggested maitainence, including oil changes, included. I got so much more car. Keep your eyes open and you'd be surprised at the deals you can get, without that discount.

Sorry, but a volvo? I pictured in a mustang or a vette........lol

GoneBrown

Thank you all very much for the feedback. I've been looking in to the 1% below factory cost discount on Jeep. That means there is no commission to be made and you get the automobile for less than what the dealer bought it for, right?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Dealers get un-published manufacturers rebates that they don't tell you about, that is how they sell below list price.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Thank you all very much for the feedback. I've been looking in to the 1% below factory cost discount on Jeep. That means there is no commission to be made and you get the automobile for less than what the dealer bought it for, right?

Find a forum for the car (Jeep) you want to but and ask there. You will probably get more information.