Automotive Mechanic

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by DieselTech, Jul 1, 2014.

1. DieselTech

DieselTech New Member

Hi everyone, I am a Master Diesel mechanic right now and used to be a automotive mechanic. I grew interest in a automotive mechanic position around the Raleigh NC area. I actually work the night shift right now for a fleet company. My question is what can I expect, what is the starting pay and what does it go up to. I would appreciate it if I could get a little insight. Thanks.

2. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

80% of scale for the first year. Expect a lot of useless and annoying "training" on a yearly basis and occasional depression.

3. DieselTech

DieselTech New Member

@1BROWNWRENCH thanks. Does that 80% depend on location and do you have an actually hour amount?

4. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Are you skilled in the art of duct tape origami, if so there's an opening in the mechanic dept.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

[​IMG]

6. I hear that you can expect feeder drivers to wipe buggers on there seats and that sometimes you will come in contact with this.

7. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That only looks like a bugger. It's just dried up special sauce from one of the 3 Big Macs they ate while making the pull.

8. Eww

9. 1BROWNWRENCH

I can only say for sure about the 80% in my region. Going current rate is 32.28.

10. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Correction : FREE occasional depression.

You're welcome.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  11. Expect a lot of just putting "couldn't duplicate problem, vehicle OK to operate" on the DVIR logs & not fixing a f---in' thing.

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

12. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Be sure to pull package cars without telling the driver.

13. 1BROWNWRENCH

Can't fix what you can't see. Haven't got all day to mess with it. Gotta move on to what you can fix.

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

"OK to run".

15. 1BROWNWRENCH

Will the driver be available to give pertinent information from home to speed the repairs along so it won't have to be pulled?

16. cachsux

cachsux Wah

Learn how to know which of the thousands of parts on a vehicle is the one responsible for "I hear a noise' on the DVIR.

17. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

The only time my car is pulled is for PM, with no warning of course. If I was given a head up, I could pull my stuff out ahead of time.

18. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I learned to never leave anything important in my truck. Once mine disappeared from the lineup with no warning and nobody knew where it was. I finally found out it was sent to another building.

19. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Only once? The truck you drive everyday for years may go by, by tomorrow night with no one saying anything to you.

20. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I had trucks disappear without warning many times but I was saying once it was gone permanently. Other times I got a new truck my old one would still be around somewhere even if just as a spare.