Automotive : Peak Mode-a question to mechanics

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Has everybody been notified about the very early beginning of the "no red tags whatever it takes overtime till you die" peak season mode?

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Has everybody been notified about the very early beginning of the "no red tags whatever it takes overtime till you die" peak season mode?
Our mechanics have been working some serious overtime getting ready.
Lost one mechanic to management, but one came back from comp, another back from active duty.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One of my points being is I feel I'm being forced to keep things on the road that I would rather not until I can get it properly fixed.
You guys are union so if push comes to shove you can refuse to put a vehicle in service if you don't feel its safe and the company cant fire you for it.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
One of my points being is I feel I'm being forced to keep things on the road that I would rather not until I can get it properly fixed.
all you can do is write stuff up to cover your butt... If the truck blows up on route, not your fault. had an old 10 cube that felt like wheels were going to fly off at 55mph +... mechanics kept saying "ok to run" ... He probably only drove the thing around the yard at 15mph for 2 minutes...

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Things that are a genuine safety issue I get no trouble on. It's things that run like crap, leak or are trouble prone (likely to break down) that I have issues with. Then when the breakdown pile up, the management higher ups come down on us like a ton of bricks in the off season.

soberups

Where is the oil drain plug on the 8 cube? I'm trying to get a new truck.
During WW2 the French Resistance lacked heavy anti-tank weapons, so they would sabotage the German tanks by pouring sugar into the gas tanks at night. This basically destroys the engine. Just sayin.......

soberups

The bean counters' cost of inventory concept trumps the reality of downtime costs, towing, and cost of replacement rentals. That's why.
Sounds like you guys use ORION to manage your parts inventories. I guess operations isn't the only part of UPS where critical decisions are made by people who have never done the work and have no effing clue what they are talking about.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds like you guys use ORION to manage your parts inventories. I guess operations isn't the only part of UPS where critical decisions are made by people who have never done the work and have no effing clue what they are talking about.

To be fair, any accountant will tell you that excess inventory is a financial liability, regardless of the industry.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Having just one vehicle down for a week with all the associated costs would certainly wipe out any savings for the month.

Last edited: