Automotive : Peak Mode-a question to mechanics

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 1BROWNWRENCH, Nov 9, 2014.

1. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amatuer Malthusian

Has everybody been notified about the very early beginning of the "no red tags whatever it takes overtime till you die" peak season mode?

2. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Parts on order. OK to run.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. 1BROWNWRENCH

At the same time NDA orders are frowned on.

4. They hire all kind of extra people for peak. No extra mechanics!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. 1BROWNWRENCH

Astute observation my green friend. All the outside help is already occupied with filling our normal and chronic manpower shortages.

6. Shift Inhibit

Shift Inhibit He who laughs last didn't get it.

OR, "cannot duplicate"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Easily Amused

Our mechanics have been working some serious overtime getting ready.
    Lost one mechanic to management, but one came back from comp, another back from active duty.

8. 1BROWNWRENCH

One of my points being is I feel I'm being forced to keep things on the road that I would rather not until I can get it properly fixed.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Was it in Black River or Watertown (NY) where the mechanic blew the whistle on UPS for forcing him to sign off on cracks in the chassis' of several package cars?

• List
  10. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

You guys are union so if push comes to shove you can refuse to put a vehicle in service if you don't feel its safe and the company cant fire you for it.

11. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Where is the oil drain plug on the 8 cube? I'm trying to get a new truck.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  12. Shift Inhibit

Shift Inhibit He who laughs last didn't get it.

all you can do is write stuff up to cover your butt... If the truck blows up on route, not your fault. had an old 10 cube that felt like wheels were going to fly off at 55mph +... mechanics kept saying "ok to run" ... He probably only drove the thing around the yard at 15mph for 2 minutes...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. I will never understand why,they wont let you stock a few parts. It's not like we have all brand new vehicles.
    I can see the frustration,on the mechanics face.

14. 1BROWNWRENCH

Things that are a genuine safety issue I get no trouble on. It's things that run like crap, leak or are trouble prone (likely to break down) that I have issues with. Then when the breakdown pile up, the management higher ups come down on us like a ton of bricks in the off season.

15. 1BROWNWRENCH

The bean counters' cost of inventory concept trumps the reality of downtime costs, towing, and cost of replacement rentals. That's why.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. soberups

During WW2 the French Resistance lacked heavy anti-tank weapons, so they would sabotage the German tanks by pouring sugar into the gas tanks at night. This basically destroys the engine. Just sayin.......

17. soberups

Sounds like you guys use ORION to manage your parts inventories. I guess operations isn't the only part of UPS where critical decisions are made by people who have never done the work and have no effing clue what they are talking about.

18. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

To be fair, any accountant will tell you that excess inventory is a financial liability, regardless of the industry.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. soberups

Having an inadequate supply of parts to keep vehicles running in a delivery business is also a financial liability.

20. 1BROWNWRENCH

Having just one vehicle down for a week with all the associated costs would certainly wipe out any savings for the month.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014