Automotive : Peak Mode-a question to mechanics

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
Has everybody been notified about the very early beginning of the "no red tags whatever it takes overtime till you die" peak season mode?
1Brownwrench, hope you don't mind if I chime in, even though I'm not a mechanic.
I feel your pain. I don't push back against stuff like this, but I do quietly run my shop. I know they are just pushing to make sure by peak the fleet is ready, and it will be. But not 3 weeks before peak. I want to make sure that when the SHTF, my cars will be fine. I'm not going to hit a zero red tag number 3 weeks before peak just to look good. I would rather look good when the cars are safe and reliable through December.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
My package car has been out since June. Blown engine. It's a one off Workhorse Chassis with a GM 8.1L V8. They ordered and have the long block but since it threw two rods out the oil pan, they need an oil pan too.

GM stopped making the Big Blocks in 2008. All parts discontinued. Great.

Thanks Obama.
GM did stop production, but the parts are still available. The oil pan is very expensive, but they can get it. I suspect that in a week or two parts will "show up out of nowhere". Peak has a way of making people get their Sh#$%T together.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We have an inordinate amount of red tags right now. There are like 12 older trucks behind the shop and only like 3 sets of keys in the spare truck key box.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have an inordinate amount of red tags right now. There are like 12 older trucks behind the shop and only like 3 sets of keys in the spare truck key box.
Our centers fleet is terrible. Only a
Handful of automatic vehicles. I gotta give the 1 mechanic that works there props he keeps them running but a bottle of starting fluid in my truck is not a fix for the fact that my truck won't start.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
Our centers fleet is terrible. Only a
Handful of automatic vehicles. I gotta give the 1 mechanic that works there props he keeps them running but a bottle of starting fluid in my truck is not a fix for the fact that my truck won't start.

They need to be careful with that. I saw a rookie blow the exhaust out from underneath the truck by going overboard with the starting fluid.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
1Brownwrench, hope you don't mind if I chime in, even though I'm not a mechanic.
I feel your pain. I don't push back against stuff like this, but I do quietly run my shop. I know they are just pushing to make sure by peak the fleet is ready, and it will be. But not 3 weeks before peak. I want to make sure that when the SHTF, my cars will be fine. I'm not going to hit a zero red tag number 3 weeks before peak just to look good. I would rather look good when the cars are safe and reliable through December.
The crazy thing is that I see numerous cars that haven't moved an inch from the day before and I know there's nothing wrong with them.

upssouth

One day this week we had 4 trucks that wouldn't start then the next day 2 trucks. We have no spares and lost a few this year to damage. We are worse off than last year

upssouth

I don't know model numbers well but a few were trucks I think they're 91 internationals but most of them were p12's I think. Long truck that's diesel I think they about 93-96 models?

Fragile

Those things never start when it's cold. Always getting plugs replaced. Love my 2007 Freightliner although the heater sucks

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Those things never start when it's cold. Always getting plugs replaced. Love my 2007 Freightliner although the heater sucks
Not so much the heater as the driving conditions. I test out that complaint all the time with those cars. The engine never gets up to temperature or isn't allowed to.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The 444e is relatively trouble free. The VT is the biggest POS I've ever been forced to deal with. Until recently I had 20 of those abortions to deal with. Can't wait for them to be replaced with something better.

barnyard

KTM rider
A couple of years ago, the mechanics said we could not use winter fronts on any of the Internationals. The P700 I am assigned for peak had one in the box o stuff, so I put it on. Seems to help a little with the heat. Driving towards the sun really helps.