Available Hours

happybob

Feeders
I'm in feeders and was sent home today because I didn't have 8 hours available. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they allow package car drivers to work and be paid less than 8 hours when they are needed, including working preload on Saturdays until their 60 hours is up. Double standards? Problem is that the union president called me and said the company was correct in sending me home and that he wasn't aware of it going on in package and would put a stop to it. I wonder if they will also put a stop to telling the package car drivers that if they have any hours available this Saturday they will have to report for a 6th punch.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It depends on whether you can complete your base day.
If you are a local TDP or railyard driver, they probably would have kept you.
If you have to make a turn-around that would result in your running out of hours, then it logically just would not make sense sending you out.
The question I would have, was there inside work available to get you 8 hours of work?
This could be interesting as it develops.

over9five

Staff member
Agree with Union Pres.
No eight hours, no report.

We are GUARANTEED 8 hours. Unfortunately, our Package brothers don't have the gonads to say No.
You're a Feeder driver, you will stand up for your rights.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
He would need to be qualified to do other work I think.
Anyone can sweep a floor.

If it were me I would take the day off and be happy. However if they want the hours it's their right. It's in the contract. If it meant only guaranteed in cases that the employee has 8 or more dot hours left it would say that.

raceanoncr

My first issue is this: If you didn't have 8 hours available, why did you even show up? As Ovah stated, it's ultimately OUR responsibility to keep track of our hours. Yes, the company does (and many times they are off, I found out) but the DOT says it's YOUR job to do so. Do you keep a running tab of your daily hours? What if you get pulled in a scale or over by a portable and asked to recount your hours? Can you? Oh, you say you're on electronic log book? What diff does that make? YOU are still required to keep track of your hours.

Bottom line is: If you don't have hours available, tell them the day before or that day. Don't wait for them to tell YOU.

Another is this: If you didn't have hours available, you must have already been on OT, right? You've already got your 40 hour guarantee for the week, right? If so, you get no more guarantees.

Another is this: Who cares what the package car kids are doing? Do you REALLY want to come in and load/unload/sweep floors/sort, etc.? If they company lets them do it and they don't scream about their hours, so be it. They don't have to send in daily logs to the DOT like feeder drivers.

Another thing that was addressed here: The DOT has long established (but most often been ignored by the company AND shifters OR CPU drivers and rarely challenged) that anytime you are behind the wheel of a DOT regulated vehicle, whether it be a shifter, rail tractor, or even stuck in traffic for hours at a time, that time is reported as "On-duty-driving". You are still bound by DOT regs that mean you can't DRIVE more that your daily allowance, you can't WORK more than your daily allowance, you can't go OVER your daily or weekly allowance, except in special circumstances, like one 14 with the required time off afterwards.

Many other conditions would apply but that's it in a nutshell.

My first issue is this: If you didn't have 8 hours available, why did you even show up? As Ovah stated, it's ultimately OUR responsibility to keep track of our hours. Yes, the company does (and many times they are off, I found out) but the DOT says it's YOUR job to do so. Do you keep a running tab of your daily hours? What if you get pulled in a scale or over by a portable and asked to recount your hours? Can you? Oh, you say you're on electronic log book? What diff does that make? YOU are still required to keep track of your hours.

Bottom line is: If you don't have hours available, tell them the day before or that day. Don't wait for them to tell YOU.

Another is this: If you didn't have hours available, you must have already been on OT, right? You've already got your 40 hour guarantee for the week, right? If so, you get no more guarantees.

Another is this: Who cares what the package car kids are doing? Do you REALLY want to come in and load/unload/sweep floors/sort, etc.? If they company lets them do it and they don't scream about their hours, so be it. They don't have to send in daily logs to the DOT like feeder drivers.

Another thing that was addressed here: The DOT has long established (but most often been ignored by the company AND shifters OR CPU drivers and rarely challenged) that anytime you are behind the wheel of a DOT regulated vehicle, whether it be a shifter, rail tractor, or even stuck in traffic for hours at a time, that time is reported as "On-duty-driving". You are still bound by DOT regs that mean you can't DRIVE more that your daily allowance, you can't WORK more than your daily allowance, you can't go OVER your daily or weekly allowance, except in special circumstances, like one 14 with the required time off afterwards.

Many other conditions would apply but that's it in a nutshell.

The other conditions are called peak here. You might want to check out all that's in the HOS thread.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I am shocked that any feeder driver does not keep track of their hours. You will be the one getting the fine, and being pulled for HOS. Would you like to call the boss, and explain to him/her that you were OOS because you couldn't add? Plus the fact that you would most likely be in the worst place in the world for your boss man to come get you.

raceanoncr

OK, I must admit, I've been away for 3 1/2 yrs and the DOT rules are changing as rapidly as UPS rules so I have to say, what I wrote WAS my understanding at the time. And this understanding was corroborated by many.

Now, as far as being PEAK is concerned, I know the company tries to pull this, "Throw the rules out the window" crap. Sure, they tried it here, too.

Exam: We had it where a permanent run SHOULD have been put up for bid and they didn't, claiming "peak exemption". What? A driver retired, got fired (permanent), a new permanent run that they KNEW was gonna stay, a driver passed away. Why don't they want to post it for bid? Too much hassle, SURE! This time of year? Of course. I don't care. POST THE DAMN BID! It's not my problem your dispatch is screwed up this time of year.

As far as not following established DOT regs go, show me where UPS can get away with not following the rules during peak. The DOT could care less about what time of year it is. Yes, I KNOW what UPS tries (and gets away with, also), I went through it. But, my reasoning was, "If you want me to follow all the rules 10 months a year and NOT for 2 months, it ain't happnin".

Please correct me where I'm wrong.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I like the argument that they are compelling Package drivers to work a 6th day regardless of having 8 available, however, this might be a case of "careful what you wish for". Remember that Feeder drivers will "pickup, deliver, sort and load regardless of Domicile". Do you really want to open the door that says "Hey, maybe some Feeder drivers have hours available on Saturday so they can come in and deliver packages. Lets check on Dec 24th too."

oldngray

nowhere special
When was the last time anything was actually swept? A feeder driver could do that or other busy work but my question was whether UPS would allow anyone to do jobs such as that which are normally seldom if ever done.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
People post on here all the time about Management sweeping things under the rug.

PS - I like your avatar - good Holiday theme.

orangeman

I was sent sent home (feeders) also this week...am grieving it. In a nutshell, I got a 34 hr reset Friday to Sunday, but they claim I can only reset Thursday night to Saturday as I am a Sunday to Thursday driver. Shame on me for not putting up more of a fight but I knew all the DOT rules were in flux now, and am newly returned to feeders, so I just took their word that I ran out of hours on a failure to recapture enough hours from the last week. I went home and read the new 34 hr reset rule and found out that it doesn't matter what day of the week you take it, so long as it's more than 168 hrs (7 days) from your last reset...the rule is so you don't take 2 resets in a week.
Anyway, their calculations and interpretation of the rules are all over the place. We'll see if my grievance wins.

pretender

I like the argument that they are compelling Package drivers to work a 6th day regardless of having 8 available, however, this might be a case of "careful what you wish for". Remember that Feeder drivers will "pickup, deliver, sort and load regardless of Domicile". Do you really want to open the door that says "Hey, maybe some Feeder drivers have hours available on Saturday so they can come in and deliver packages. Lets check on Dec 24th too."

The door has already been partially opened by making TDP/CPU drivers work on Dec 24th as helpers...

The rule, as they're interpreting it here, is that whatever your punch out time is on whatever day it is before you begin your 34/2x1-5a reset, becomes the beginning of your 168 hr countdown.