Avoidable Accident while parked

DazedandConfused

Good point Sword on having them come to get it from the building. In the instances that I have taken it to them is when they are elderly and not some much younger person who can usually get around pretty well. I don't make a habit of it because of the possible repercussions. Only about 3 times in the past 5 years.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I disagree that "many of our drivers service their customers on their way home". I think most of us are able to do the job right while we're on the clock. Most of us punch out and go home.
I agree Over, this is not the standard. At least not here. There is an infrequent occasion that arises.........................................

so is backing out into a street. listen i ahve worked for ups 23 years as a driver for 16 and i have 13 years safe driving , i would rather back up a driveway than out into traffic.
as for working off the clock it is wrong peroid. you are either taking overtime away from another driver or if enough of you are doiing it it allows them to cut a route. what happen if you slip and blow your knee or your back out while you are delievering off the clock or worse yet you get into an accident ? you think the big brown machine is going to pay you comp or pay to fix your car. if you want to do that go join fedex ground.
You listen. I never said anything about backing into the street. I was talking about the pic that Dusty posted. In that pic there is no need to back into a street. That drive is plenty long enough to find a place to turn around. I would base my backing decision on what the circumstances are for MY situation. Not real concerned about what you think.

As far as taking care of the customer and del. off the clock.............................. again, not real concerned about what you think.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My two cents:

UpsState is correct in everything he says here. I am not idolizing him, but he takes the BS that is thrown at him (alot) and handles it professionally (consistently).

All this crap about taking money from a "Brother" is part of the problem with UPS, and specifically UPSers, and much more specifically; Jimstud.

Jimstud's argument is that "Working off the clock" takes OT from a Brother. With his logic, should UPS continue to pay for us going to the bathroom? I don't want to get into a debate about what is "Payable" and what is not; but most should understand what I mean.

UPS is not like a computer that can account for every blessed nano-second of what is being done.

I am a UPSer as well as a Customer. I don't know what difficulty guys like UpsState go through to deliver my package at 7:00pm or so, but I am glad that he does it. It PERSONALIZES the delivery. That's what we are. If he insisted to be paid for it, the breakdown starts from within and propels outwards.
Maybe it is not management that is "brainwashed".

UpsState: Thanks for your level of Service.

It is such a small event, but a "normal" event with you internally (I presume).

Swordfish: Meeting Customers???? Motel 6 or better? (wink)

Not an UpState fan.
If that's your two cents...keep your money.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
And here is the key phrase. I assumed we were talking about doing this off the clock. I have nothing against delivering on the way home if I'm being paid.
And this is the same case here. My time card has always been adjusted (the 3 times that it has happened in the last 4 years).

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I agree and to add to that even if you cant find a turn around in a long driveway especially when its dark outside you would want to drive down it forward so you can see the driveway and whats around it so if you have to back you know whats around you when your backing that far.

Exactly!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My view on this is that both of you are right. I don't want to take work from a fellow teamster, but I will do anything in my power to get what I think might be medicine to a customer. Especially if it is a NDA(signiture required or not). There are members of my family that depend on NDA shipments of medicine from us that could prove fatal if not delivered the following day. Our center does not usually have "qualified" delivery personel on our Metro shift. Certainly there are personal risks involved, but I can live with the chances of something happening to me while going out of my way. Who knows, one of their family members might see our act as "compassion" and in turn it could land us an account that might have gone to Freddy. Medicine deliveries are the ONLY exception for me. Anything else can wait till the morning. JMO

And this issue has been recently compounded with the new VA contract. I have noticed that ALL of the VA meds are sig. req. I don't know what the contract was like with Fedex but if they didn't require a sig. our customers are going to have an adjustment period with getting used to being home to sign for their meds. I've already had send-agains because of this.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The NDA for my condo complex, and for most of my area, is delivered by a driver on the way down to her area and she does not come back through town on her way back to the bldg. I just happened to see that pkg at the end of the belt and wanted to do the right thing for my neighbor. I will try whenever I can to make a 2nd attempt or will write my cell number on the info notice if I have send agains on my area and am usually able to get rid of them on the 2nd attempt. Most of the pkgs that I am asked to run off on the way home are not on my delivery area but are on my way home and, yes, they will always adjust my timecard accordingly. As I said, it doesn't happen very often, but when it does and when I am asked I will normally say yes, unless I have something going on that evening.

The last pkg that I hand del. on my way home was for a friend. I happened to be in the office when he called. If my night sup had not had him on speaker phone I wouldn't have even known about it. I asked him, with my sup sitting there, if he wanted me to bring the pkg to him. He agreed and I signed for it. Turns out it was an NDA containing loan docs for his house. He needed those docs. The driver that delivered them did a hit and run at the door and didn't even give him a chance to get to the door. The driver was driving away as he opened the door. The problem was compounded by the fact that there was no address on the house but the driver should have given a minute or two to make sure there really was no one home.

Dustyroads

Dilli, there isn't anything wrong at all with taking a package for a friend. The driver had a shot at delivering it and dropped the ball, you signed for it, what you do with it after that point is really between you and your friend.

As for turning around in driveways, long or short, I've been delivering this same area for over 30 years. Who do you think knows more about driveways, houses, dogs and kids and what door is unlocked than me? I have just a little more knowledge than someone in an office that makes a blanket statement like, "no driveways".

On the good side, the new virtual time studies of residential deliveries are conducted by taking all of the addresses that you deliver on a chosen day, then they google earth the stop, and measure the distance from the FRONT DOOR of the residence to the MIDDLE of the street at the end of the driveway, thus, measuring the driver's walking distance. I'm guessing I might have picked up a little time with the driveways on my area. hehehe.

jimstud

Banned
I agree Over, this is not the standard. At least not here. There is an infrequent occasion that arises.........................................

You listen. I never said anything about backing into the street. I was talking about the pic that Dusty posted. In that pic there is no need to back into a street. That drive is plenty long enough to find a place to turn around. I would base my backing decision on what the circumstances are for MY situation. Not real concerned about what you think.

As far as taking care of the customer and del. off the clock.............................. again, not real concerned about what you think.
no you listen if you can't fid a place to turn around in a driveway then you are going to have to back out into the street unless somewhere between heaven and hell you have hover crafts. as far as what you think of me don't really care but like i said if you want to deliever packages out of your own vehicle you should work for fedex ground. if and when you get hurt doing that ( personally i do not wish that on anybody even the kitty ) don't whine how ups is not taking care of you.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My two cents:

UpsState is correct in everything he says here. I am not idolizing him, but he takes the BS that is thrown at him (alot) and handles it professionally (consistently).

All this crap about taking money from a "Brother" is part of the problem with UPS, and specifically UPSers, and much more specifically; Jimstud.

Jimstud's argument is that "Working off the clock" takes OT from a Brother. With his logic, should UPS continue to pay for us going to the bathroom? I don't want to get into a debate about what is "Payable" and what is not; but most should understand what I mean.

UPS is not like a computer that can account for every blessed nano-second of what is being done.

I am a UPSer as well as a Customer. I don't know what difficulty guys like UpsState go through to deliver my package at 7:00pm or so, but I am glad that he does it. It PERSONALIZES the delivery. That's what we are. If he insisted to be paid for it, the breakdown starts from within and propels outwards.
Maybe it is not management that is "brainwashed".

UpsState: Thanks for your level of Service.

It is such a small event, but a "normal" event with you internally (I presume).

Swordfish: Meeting Customers???? Motel 6 or better? (wink)

fxd, I agree.

The issue of taking work away from our brothers and sisters is a valid argument to a small degree. But, I have to say, in the case of what happens here (and I am guessing in Dave's case and most other cases) most of these deliveries have already been attempted once. And I can certainly speak for myself and assume this would be correct for most UPS drivers, at 7pm the last thing I want to do is turn around and return to an area that I have already delivered to, especially if I am already at the ctr and getting ready to clock out. As long as I am in my browns my service is personalized and even more so when I drive up in my personal vehicle. Customers see this and remember it. Am I doing a dis-service to my fellow driver? At 7pm, I don't think so. Am I doing a dis-service to the customer? Absolutely not!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
no you listen if you can't fid a place to turn around in a driveway then you are going to have to back out into the street unless somewhere between heaven and hell you have hover crafts. as far as what you think of me don't really care but like i said if you want to deliever packages out of your own vehicle you should work for fedex ground. if and when you get hurt doing that ( personally i do not wish that on anybody even the kitty ) don't whine how ups is not taking care of you.

Back first from the street into the driveway, not pull into the driveway and then back out.
If you don't know if you can turn around, then you don't pull in.
This is a decision you are required to make before you get into the driveway.
Do you really not know this?
We don't drive in a perfect world, but those are the standards we are held to.
CYA big fella, you'll never explain away the scenario you're arguing.
The second part about delivering out of your own vehicle, is spot on.

Dustyroads

I've actually had both adult signature required packages and driver release packages from the VA Med Center Rx, I released one on a porch on Friday. I believe it must depend on what class of medication is enclosed.

jimstud

Banned
if a customer orders a package to be delievered nda especially sig. required medecine don't you think they should be home to sign for said package.
why do you think ups has customer counters and we leave notes with the number to call ? we have customers picking up packages up till 10 pm.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hey Dusty, just out of curiousity, what size truck do you have on your rte. P5/P57?
If Dusty runs a P5/P57 like I'm guessing, I could turn a P5 around in that driveway with no issues at all. Even a 700 could be turned around in that driveway, it would take a little more work but that driveway is plenty wide enough. But then again, I am a professional driver. You may not be able to do it.