Back up alarm

Packmule

Does anybody know how UPS managed to get around having to install official backup alarms in leu of horn taps?
I believe it is a law that they be there on all commercial vehicles.
Horn taps just confuse people.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Very similar to how they got around not installing a proper ventilation system inside the building so we all don't choke on exhaust fumes every morning. Both would cost the company too much money. Maybe if we all agreed to donate a dollar a week like to the United Way....lol

aiian

Back up alarm = a driver who does the methods.

Sitting here waiting for the posties to get out of my way and i notice that the PO's vehicles don't have alarms either.

STFXG

There's no law requiring a backup alarm.

Similar to a backup cam. Not required, just a safety feature.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
In UPS fashion, do you know how much it would cost to install this on every car in the world? The stockholders would be furious.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
How are you suppose to roll off those busted up total gym boxes at the garage with a beeper blaring as you back up 10ft off the street because you left your 4th handcart at the UPS store.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I don't think it's completely a cost issue.
It's also an issue of complacency to other drivers and people. If you hear a continuous beep from one of those alarms, you MAY look quick to see where it's coming from but after that tone it out. But when someone sounds a horn, most people turn quick to look and wonder what the heck you are beeping the horn at. Think about how many times customers have asked you why you were beeping so much or commented on how annoying it is. But if a truck has an automated continuous tone, no questions asked. AWARENESS!!!

10 point

Taking my hand off the steering wheel "every three seconds" creates a control hazard as well.

Especially on ice.

I'd rather have a beeper.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Taking my hand off the steering wheel "every three seconds" creates a control hazard as well.

Especially on ice.

I'd rather have a beeper.

If your going backwards fast enough to lose control from honking your horn, you have a whole other issue. Be it ice or dry conditions.

10 point

The company can run the power supply thru a timer that makes it sound every so often when it's in park position creating awareness in parking lots so people don't back into us when we're not present.

And a switch to shut it off in the building. (Or maybe not ;))

10 point

If your going backwards fast enough to lose control from honking your horn, you have a whole other issue. Be it ice or dry conditions.
It's not a speed issue as much as a changing conditions issue.

As in kids running in the area, etc.

Sometimes you just need both hands on the wheel more than other times. Especially in reverse.

Last edited:

Packmule

I don't think it's completely a cost issue.
It's also an issue of complacency to other drivers and people. If you hear a continuous beep from one of those alarms, you MAY look quick to see where it's coming from but after that tone it out. But when someone sounds a horn, most people turn quick to look and wonder what the heck you are beeping the horn at. Think about how many times customers have asked you why you were beeping so much or commented on how annoying it is. But if a truck has an automated continuous tone, no questions asked. AWARENESS!!!
You are spot on in your assessment here about how people react. Problem is that it causes many drivers to feel self conscious and the horn doesn't get used enough.
No one likes to be confronted over this so they avoid the problem entirely.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are spot on in your assessment here about how people react. Problem is that it causes many drivers to feel self conscious and the horn doesn't get used enough.

I blow the horn 2 houses before the house that I will be delivering to. I lay on the horn when I approach the loading dock at Walmart to let them know that I am there----the door is open and rollers extended by the time I hit the dock. I blow the horn when I back up to the loading dock at the college library as I have to pass over a crosswalk to do so. I refuse to blow the horn at commercials stops or at residential stops that have asked that I not do so.

Back up beepers quickly become background noise. Horns draw attention.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

So how many people actually blow the horn at EVERY stop like the methods say. As a gambling man, I'd be willing to bet that 80% of the driving force probably do not tap horn at every stop. As for these "methods" has anyone actually seen the book or manual they are in?