back up limits

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
As many times as I need to to finish the day.

So after 19 do u just call them and say ok she's all yours I'm done reached my limit?

DS

Fenderbender
Mine is 19, what is your magic number? Here is one thats going to be tough to manage.
I can't believe the crap they come up with sometimes.
It's just stupid.Every route is different.
It's going to be funny when you get stuck in snow,
and have to rock that sucker back and forth 20 times
to get unstuck.The sad part is,that every stupid idea they get,
we get a year later.I guess you paid day goes up an hour.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As many times as I need to to finish the day.

So after 19 do u just call them and say ok she's all yours I'm done reached my limit?
I guess, LOL. When I punched in this am I had a 19 after my name. We asked, and at the pcm, they asked us. "anyone know what the number after your name means? " With the focus on safe driving, I said yrs of safe driving? Nope, this is how many times you may back up, and you need to cut it down.
Why dont they just take the reverse out of the da** cars if they are serious. I think this is beyond stupidity.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I can't believe the crap they come up with sometimes.
It's just stupid.Every route is different.
It's going to be funny when you get stuck in snow,
and have to rock that sucker back and forth 20 times
to get unstuck.The sad part is,that every stupid idea they get,
we get a year later.I guess you paid day goes up an hour.
Dont take any chance to get stuck, I guess. No to mention sometimes I have to back up two or three times just to get outta the building. They did not install a clicker in my truck I have no idea how many times I backed. I backed when I had to, duh.

Last edited:

EmraldArcher

Next time they give you **** about how many times you backed up ask to sit down with your center manager and go over how he would have driven your route and reduced the number of backing incidents. Make it as long and drawn out a process as possible. After having to pay OT and waste his time I bet you don't hear anything else about it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
They tried that crap with me once I threatened to drive around my whole area in reverse. 160 stops, 160 backing first. Boom!!!

barnyard

KTM rider
Have not seen that yet. We have been getting PCMs on what our center average is and the 2 that backed the most the previous day. I am generally right at the center average, so I don't even think about it any more.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They tried that crap with me once I threatened to drive around my whole area in reverse. 160 stops, 160 backing first. Boom!!!
Wouldn't threatening *not* to back, after surpassing the magic number, be more productive? Walk off/around all of your bulk stops and pickups, easy 14 hr day.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It doesnt matter to me, Im not putting those numbers in my head. I do think decreasing backs is a good idea. But I already dont back when not necessary, sooooooooo
I dont know if I made the number or not, when it was feasible I didnt back up. I think the reson in our district is the backs that hit overhangs, etc. rooky mistakes, they will happen, not to say I would not do it also, but the majority of them have been backing unneccesarily. And hitting something. Anyone could do it, but we all pay when someone does. But Im just doing my job, Im not counting when I need to back into the multitude of other things I have to keep track of all day.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
To register a backup event the vehicle must travel more than eight feet while the reverse circuit is active. The reverse circuit is read when the reverse lights are active. What can you do to eliminate the reverse backup circuit to be active though the truck is still traveling in reverse? Think about it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To register a backup event the vehicle must travel more than eight feet while the reverse circuit is active. The reverse circuit is read when the reverse lights are active. What can you do to eliminate the reverse backup circuit to be active though the truck is still traveling in reverse? Think about it.

Actually had a driver sup tell me this. He said it doesn't read your wheels going backwards it on reads it actually being in reverse. Wink wink

satellitedriver

I back when I need to back.
Yes, I plan before I make the delivery, to reduce backing.

I have to back at least 75 times a day.-(at a minimum)-
Try running a rural route where you have to do a three point turn at every stop to point the pkg car back down the driveway-(I use the term driveway loosely) avoiding ,trees,trash,dogs,and kid toys left strewn all about.
Fortunately, I have made it to the "Circle of Honor".
It was not because of some pin-prick headed dipstick bean counter-(working the law of average)- advising me I backed too many times.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
But why would one do this? To meet some ridiculous number proposed by UPS? If the truck needs to be backed, it is.
There are drivers who back too much, but the problem is generally much deeper than "just" a backing issue.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont have a problem with the idea of trying to reduce backs, or making people aware of how many times they backed.

What I do have a problem with...is when a supervisor or some Safety Committee nitwit wants to second-guess my decisions the next day by doing nothing more than looking at a number printed out on a Telematics report.

I'm more than willing to accept constructive criticism, which pretty much means that if you have a problem with the number of times I backed up then get off your ass, go out there and retrace my route in a package car, and show me what I should have done differently. If all you are going to do is sit there and whine about a number, then kindly direct your whining to someone who actually gives a sh%t.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to think that your mgt team was simply trying to increase backing awareness in your center. Assigning an arbitrary number serves no purpose. I know that I and my center as a whole have reduced the number of backs that we make on average. I approach a delivery stop thinking not only about the delivery point but also how I will park the vehicle so as not to have to back.

Before Telematics I averaged 50 backs per day--I am down to 30 and have been down to the mid-20's.

To those who suggest putting the pkg car in to neutral and coasting--don't let the pressure of an arbitrary number cause you to perform an unsafe behavior. If you have to back, put the car in to reverse and back.