back up limits

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You are the exact reason for telematics. Backing that fast is not safe. All these reports are to make sure we are following methods and minimizing unsafe risks. Goodluck taking those chances
​He didn't say he backed at 8 miles an hour, you assumed that. Mr. 248 posts, I'd take my chances with Sat over you any day of the week.

menotyou

bella amicizia
​He didn't say he backed at 8 miles an hour, you assumed that. Mr. 248 posts, I'd take my chances with Sat over you any day of the week.
He's a driver in my district, I've been told. He seems like a nice enough fellow. I don't think he knows how safe Sat is, that's all.

CAFAL, Sat knows his entire route blindfolded. I'd be his helper any day of the week.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
He's a driver in my district, I've been told. He seems like a nice enough fellow. I don't think he knows how safe Sat is, that's all.

CAFAL, Sat knows his entire route blindfolded. I'd be his helper any day of the week.
Maybe he should get to know people before he starts dis'ing them. Especially a mod. Just sayin................

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
If you ever get grief for over backing invite your on car sup or center manager to ride along with your to see if they can give you a better option than what you're doing. Some of us have dock stops. 10 or 11 for delivery and just as many for pickups. Most on car sups live in reality. Let them tell you how to do it better and when you adjust ask for a new time study. It's on their shoulders not yours. They want to eliminate unnecessary backs. If you have a manager who just won't listen or is a yes man and unreasonable then he's earned his/her harassment grievance and 800 number call.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Last night my backs were over. I mean I never ever back up in a resi drivway, never have. The street looked good, wreckers all over, but there was a path. I had a nda saver for the second house from the main street. So I went not knowing the road I had to turn on to was covered with power lines down for some drunk who took out a pole. I got to the house and the policeman told me I would have to back into a driveway, and go the other way. I said OMG I cant do that. hes like wtf dont you know how to back up? I said well yes I do. But Im not allowed to back into a resi driveway and, I have already hit my backs per day limit. I proceeded to tell the wrecker drivers and the cops of my plight. They were rolling. Well you can hang out with us all night, we got donuts. Power lines wont be done til like 11pm. I thought about it and then said with a sigh, coz one of them boys in blue were really pretty hot, Ok Ill back up, just this once.......

CAFAL

My allowance is 2 backs. I have 7 dock "bulk stops". Plus being downtown makes my parking next to impossible. a average 30 backs a day. I laughed when the sup said 2. I argued that 1 gets used up when I back into my spot at night. It's dumb. I understand the logic to reduce backs. But let the sups handle the paperwork and let the professionals handle the big boy trucks. UPS only makes money by delivering and picking up packages. If your job doesn't directly involve that function, your a waste of money.
2 backs? What a joke. As far as I know,commercial stops aren't supposed to count,and backing at the building doesn't show on report

CAFAL

The report shows total backs and page two shows commercial backs. Page three shows the difference, along with avg speed and total distance backed. Residential backs are the ones they are supposed to look at

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You probably could have walked it off faster than backing up.

300 feet is 100 yards, the length of a football field.

Try walking that off on a gravel driveway....at night.....uphill.... with a 60 lb package on a handcart and a flashlight in your other hand. Then tell us how much "faster" it is to walk it off.

soberups

The company wants everthing up to 200' walked off.It may not say anything in the contract,this falls under working as directed. Hit something in a driveway that should have been walked off and you're screwed. Same as using neutral

Has the company performed surveys and taken measurements of every driveway on the route, and then communicated those results to the driver so that he knows whether a particular driveway is 200 feet versus, say, 186 feet?

Has the company provided the driver with a laser rangefinder so that he can make a go/no-go decision for each driveway himself?

What about driveways that curve or go uphill? How does one determine the length of the driveway if the house is not visible from the road?

Lets say the house with a 199 foot driveway is on a narrow, 2-lane road with no shoulder. In order to safely make the delivery, the driver must either (a) park in the road and block one lane of traffic while walking the stop off, (b) back into the driveway in order to get off of the road and then walk the stop off, or (c) drive up the driveway and all the way to the house in order to get off of the road and turned around before making the delivery.

If the driver chooses (a) he is parking illegally and will be charged for any accident involving another vehicle hitting the package car. If he chooses (b) he is exceeding his "quota" of backs for the day and he will be charged for anything he hits while backing into the driveway. If he chooses (c) he is failing to stay out of residential driveways as instructed.

In other words....any choice he makes will be the wrong one according to a supervisor employing 20/20 hindsight from behind a desk.

soberups

To avoid a useless conversation with a Sup, trying to recall the circumstances for each and every back can become quite daunting.

A better way to "avoid" useless conversations when questioned is to go into painstaking, thorough and specific detail about every possible scenario that might have gone through your mind as part of the decision-making process you undertook when deciding where and where not to back. If you find this to be "daunting", just clear your mind and focus on the fact that you are being paid $45 an hour on OT to try and recall the cirumstances for each and every back you made. I dont know about you, but for $45 an hour I will gladly sit in the office and participate in useless conversations with my management team about backing. If you think I am long-winded on Brown Cafe, you should hear me when the $$ meter is running!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

2 backs? What a joke. As far as I know,commercial stops aren't supposed to count,and backing at the building doesn't show on report

Commercial stops most certainly count.

Backs in the building do show on the Telematics report.

Driving with the O/H door open does not show up on the report.:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

300 feet is 100 yards, the length of a football field.

Try walking that off on a gravel driveway....at night.....uphill.... with a 60 lb package on a handcart and a flashlight in your other hand. Then tell us how much "faster" it is to walk it off.

Our safety committee set up a demonstration on this argument. One of our on-cars drove a PC and I drove the other. He backed up to the delivery point while I parked on the "street" and walked off the stop. The distance was about 100'--I easily beat the on-car and, no, I wasn't running--I walked at a brisk pace.

CAFAL

You may correct. I don't think safely, 8 mph and reverse belong together. I guess I take this topic to heart as the driver who is the reason for our cameras and monitors was from my center. I always think about how 2 seconds can destroy everything. My apologies for offending

CAFAL

Commercial stops most certainly count.

Backs in the building do show on the Telematics report.

Driving with the O/H door open does not show up on the report.:wink2:

I bet you this is a by center thing. I was keeping track of my backs when they were hot on the numbers. I was always off and under by the two or three. My center manager said on property backs weren't counted. I guess it depends who's running the show. I heard they weren't concerned with commercial backs. It would be nice to get accurate answers from somebody.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I bet you this is a by center thing. I was keeping track of my backs when they were hot on the numbers. I was always off and under by the two or three. My center manager said on property backs weren't counted. I guess it depends who's running the show. I heard they weren't concerned with commercial backs. It would be nice to get accurate answers from somebody.
The person to ask is JT. It's his show.

CAFAL

My apologies. Hit a soft spot with me