back up limits

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I bet you this is a by center thing. I was keeping track of my backs when they were hot on the numbers. I was always off and under by the two or three. My center manager said on property backs weren't counted. I guess it depends who's running the show. I heard they weren't concerned with commercial backs. It would be nice to get accurate answers from somebody.

My apologies. Hit a soft spot with me

Member of the safety committee?
When I snap my fingers, you will no longer be hypnotized.

SNAP!!!

Borderline 9.5

Our safety committee set up a demonstration on this argument. One of our on-cars drove a PC and I drove the other. He backed up to the delivery point while I parked on the "street" and walked off the stop. The distance was about 100'--I easily beat the on-car and, no, I wasn't running--I walked at a brisk pace.

This demonstration is for when you drive past a stop not turning around in a driveway. Plus try walking off 70-80 200' driving ways and let me know how you feel at the end of the day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This demonstration is for when you drive past a stop not turning around in a driveway. Plus try walking off 70-80 200' driving ways and let me know how you feel at the end of the day.

I've had country runs in the past and have walked more than my share of driveways.

The demonstration is noty for driving past a stop---it is for backing in to a residential driveway.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Commercial stops most certainly count.

Backs in the building do show on the Telematics report.

Driving with the O/H door open does not show up on the report.:wink2:
I had to laugh at this. It's funny how the story changes, building to building. I asked our sup about telematics reports and inside buildings (well, inside the yard anyway) and he said that telematics doesn't show anything inside a certain footage of the building. Go figure............... :dont_know:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You may correct. I don't think safely, 8 mph and reverse belong together. I guess I take this topic to heart as the driver who is the reason for our cameras and monitors was from my center. I always think about how 2 seconds can destroy everything. My apologies for offending

Sat has been driving for many many years. Far more than you, I'm guessing. He stated a simple fact and you jumped to the conclusion that that was his practice. I doubt very seriously that it is, as I doubt that many of us practice this. I wouldn't back my own car at 8 mph, there is no way in hell I would back a package car at 8 mph.

I was always taught, when taking a test, read the question then read the answers and then re read the question. Consider BC a test. Read the post and then consider your reaction and re read the post before responding. BC is a family and right now you are the bastard step child (no offense intended). We don't know you and you don't know us.

Brokedownandbrown

Telematics CANNOT be used as the only source of Information, used in any discipline activity,Management will have to see the a risk action. This is a faulty piece of equipment, it has good intentions but needs to be used on high risk employees only.

satellitedriver

You are the exact reason for telematics. Backing that fast is not safe. All these reports are to make sure we are following methods and minimizing unsafe risks. Goodluck taking those chances
Luck has little to do with my safety.
Sorry I hit that soft spot on top of your head.
In time, with maturation, your skull will join together and be fully hardened.
CAFAL, I am a poster boy of safety.
Since 1960 less than 6,000 drivers have made the circle of honor for driving 25yrs accident free.
I just happen to be one.
Good luck to you trying to keep your job justifying reports.
PS.
I had a pkg car in the 90's that would do 35mph in reverse.
:cool-very:

Sasquatch

Its getting one step closer to total control, think about in the 60s-80s before the internet and cell phone era nobody knew what you where doing, they would give you turkeys for thanksgiving, a choice of good items for 10 year commitment etc. etc. It used to be an honor and a privelage working for this company and now its just gone downhill since James E. Casey passed away. Nowdays they hire people to watch your every move like a spy, seatbelt sensors, bulkhead door sensors, back up limits, speed recording, how high you put the rpms on it, think about in 20 years they will watch us all live time from satellites or something crazy human beings are becoming slaves, I'm glad I am not one of you.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
An easy (and amusing) way to shut your supervisor up if he/she starts whining too much about your failure to stay out of residential driveways....is to simply stop referring to them as "driveways" altogether and start calling them "private access roads" instead. I have heard countless hours of lecturing at PCM's about how we must stay out of driveways, but not once have I ever been instructed to stay off of "private access roads." I have been with UPS for over 25 years now, so when it comes to playing silly word games I have learned from the best.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You probably could have walked it off faster than backing up.

300 feet is 100 yards, the length of a football field.

Try walking that off on a gravel driveway....at night.....uphill.... with a 60 lb package on a handcart and a flashlight in your other hand. Then tell us how much "faster" it is to walk it off.

I love this argument you may be able to walk to the house slightly faster than I can back up to the house but I promise you I'm driving out of that driveway much faster than your walking back to your car.

satellitedriver

LMAO, off topic, but back in the mid-80's, I had a GMC 400 (remember those little boxes?) that actually had a 292 six instead of the 250 it was delivered with. Dang, that thing was fast​!
Remember?
Hell, I drove one for 3 years.
We use to call them the brown coffin.
Yes they were good going forward at full speed, but you had to be careful if you touched the brake pedal.
Once you touched the brakes you never knew which way the ass end was going to go.
On washboard country roads the back end wanted to walk all over the road.
I discovered the hard way that the brake pedal lever was attached with a single grade 2 bolt.
Grade 2 is a shear pin grade.
After it broke, I had to drive through an open fence gate, in the curve, and drive up a hill in a cow pasture to be able stop.
I drove 5 miles -(without brakes)- to a country store and installed a grade 8 bolt.
The memories are flowing.
Plywood bulk head door with the 3" hole, in case the door closed and trapped you in the back, so you could reach the chain latch.
Driving 100 miles without a clutch because the slave cylinder blew out and 1 mile from the center the front right brake cylinder blew and I had to grind gears and coast into the mechanics bay.
Having that long gear shift lever break of at the floor board and deliver in 2nd gear before they could bring another pkg car down.
Never tested my 400 in reverse, but that dude would do 80 on open road.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Once on mine, the threaded rod that held the air cleaner on broke off, the wing nut vibrated off and the rod fell into the carburetor and held the throttle plate wide open. Good times.