Background Check?

flounda88

Hi There,

I'm in the final stages of the interview process for a sales job with UPS. I understand there is a background check as part of the procedure. Does anyone know what this covers? I have clean criminal and DMV records, have a degree, and all my previous employers are true. I have bad credit, which is the only thing that I can see would end my chances of getting an offer. Can anyone help me??

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS's ideal employee has always been someone who has a strong back and a weak mind and is in debt up to his ears. People in debt tend not to walk out on their jobs.:peaceful: Sounds like you at least have the debt part down pat.:wink2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS's ideal employee has always been someone who has a strong back and a weak mind and is in debt up to his ears. People in debt tend not to walk out on their jobs.:peaceful: Sounds like you at least have the debt part down pat.:wink2:

That's too many things to consider ... I'm getting confused! Anyway, I gotta go to my side job to help pay down these bills.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

Holy Crap, that is pretty much dead-on.

Your personal credit does not matter a bit. Your conviction for petty theft would.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

His question regarding his credit is a valid one as more and more employers are running credit checks on prospective employees. I personally doubt that UPS does this. Landlords have begun running credit checks on potential tenants.

dillweed

UPdate has a good point, I doubt, and hope, that credit problems wouldn't bar you from employment.

The economy is rough right now and so many people have fallen behind in some payments. Isn't it scary that, when they need a job so badly, a few credit gliches could hamper their chances to catch up?

flounda88

Thank you for all your responses. I am concerned because they provide you with a car, AMEX, etc., UPS definitley does the background check and part of a thorough background check is the credit report. I REALLY want and NEED this job! I have bad credit for a specific reason, of which has nothing to do with my ability to work. Any additional comments would be appreciated!!

For most companies that do rely on credit checks don't do it about work ability. The conventional corporate (oxymoron) wisdom is that someone with bad credit is a possible thief. How much stock UPS puts into that line of thinking I don't know. When I started with UPS my credit rating was very low and I'm still here 23 years later.
Good luck.

Chnandler Bong

I sometimes wonder about the background check. My helper last Christmas has had 2 or 3 DUI's, had no license, and had spent a year in prison. I know the hiring of helpers is more lax than other positions, but geesh. He was a great helper, though.

Re-Raise

I sometimes wonder about the background check. My helper last Christmas has had 2 or 3 DUI's, had no license, and had spent a year in prison. I know the hiring of helpers is more lax than other positions, but geesh. He was a great helper, though.

I have had some helpers that were a little rough around the edges also. I think you have this when you expect someone to be on call for two or three hours work when they are needed. We take what we can get.

As far as going into sales I am sure the qualification requirements will be much higher. If your credit problems were because of major medical expenses or something I would think they would listen to your explanation.

brownrodster

I've always been under the impression that they would not hire people with truly bad credit. The idea is that these people may be more inclined to steal packages. There is an article in the contract that allows UPS to fire employees who have their wages garnished (from debt collectors who take you to court) too many times within a certain time period.

Hedley_Lamarr

Yes UPS seems to embrace brute force and ignorance...

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Heck with all the arrests in my building ; causing a fast personal turnover, UPS sure wasted a lot of money if they did full background checks.
Honesty is never found in a background check, that has to come from somewhere deeper.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank you for all your responses. I am concerned because they provide you with a car, AMEX, etc., UPS definitley does the background check and part of a thorough background check is the credit report. I REALLY want and NEED this job! I have bad credit for a specific reason, of which has nothing to do with my ability to work. Any additional comments would be appreciated!!

Credit companies allow you to provide an explanation(s) of concerns on your credit report. This explanation becomes a part of your report and may/may not help you but does provide a potential employer/creditor with some insight as to why you are in this situation.

flounda88

Yes, the allowance for an explanation is true and I have added one to my credit report. However, that information is NOT INCLUDED in the what the employer is allowed to see. Doesn't really make sense huh?? They give you the opportunity to add it but not for the eyes of the employer...who really needs to see it!
I am going to try to hold on tight and hope for the best. I am a good person and qualified for the position. I just hope UPS allows me the opportunity to explain the reasons for the bad credit IF it becomes a problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, the allowance for an explanation is true and I have added one to my credit report. However, that information is NOT INCLUDED in the what the employer is allowed to see. Doesn't really make sense huh?? They give you the opportunity to add it but not for the eyes of the employer...who really needs to see it!
I am going to try to hold on tight and hope for the best. I am a good person and qualified for the position. I just hope UPS allows me the opportunity to explain the reasons for the bad credit IF it becomes a problem.

So, why don't you simply print a copy of the report that does contain the explanation and submit that along with your application, resume and other supporting documentation?