backing accidents

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
when in doubt, GET OUT! this is the almost sure way to avoid a backind accident. don't rely on that camera get out. what ever happened to the 3 accident rule????

JustTired

free at last.......
I was backing into and down a driveway once. Trees hanging on both sides made the mirrors almost useless. But I was checking the mirrors , then the camera, mirrors then the camera. When I went back to the camera, I just caught a glimpse of something going under the truck. I immediately stopped and pulled forward. It was a planter that they had put there to keep people from going that far into their driveway.

What a scare!! No damage. But from then on I walked off that stop, even when I knew that the planter was no longer there.

I tend to walk off a lot more stops nowadays. Safer...and I found you make a bit more money doing it.

area43

Great, I didnt want to have to start a new thread. Advice to new members, if your thinking about starting a new thread go to search(located on top row), then type in your topic and see if it has been posted before. Keeps repetition down of threads, thanks ( : Now, back to subject. In our center every morning they go over the accidents and injury reports of the district. I assume this is a common practice in a lot of centers. Well, today(monday) my center manager said, we had 3 backing accidents on friday. He told us that he had been instructed to list ALL backing accidents as tier 3 from now on. In a Tier 3 accident the driver is immediately pulled off the car that is on area. Basically, I told my sup you treat it like a on area haz mat spill. Secure vehicle, leave vehicle, and then call sup to come and investigate. Ok, after that they bring you back to the center and put you on speaker phone(center manager and you in office) and I assume the district or higher up mjr with a safet guy drills you on all the safety quiestions, ex. 5 seeing habits,10 pt comp, etc etc.

Drivers that have had a tier 3, are usually terminated, then in time get their job back(thanks to the teamsters ( ; ) I believe this is going a little overboard. Let me explain, I told my sup this, lets say I played a little bumper tag(not intentional) against a tree and put a dent on my bumper Im on a rural route and this would have happened on the farthest end of my route. center manager, your telling me that I should call you and wait while you come out to investigate, and then take me back to the center(so you can drill me)and by the way who s going to finish my route, ? a sup? or you just have a spare driver in your pocket. If that happens Ill hit them with a big fat grievence. Go ahead Buddy, Terminate me on a minor backing accident, then Ill make you pay . Also, let me hit you with a few heavy weights, way out on the end of my route(call and ask for help), remember SAFETY FIRST. Dont take any chances. Ps upsdude your from va, have they done this at your center, all backing, tier 3,regardless, ) :

Follow up, Im not one to just complain and not come up with a solution. So here we go, Atlanta(LOL, I believe Ill start my suggestions out like that from now on,lol) I know UPS is BIG on safety, Why? because its in the best interest of the employee, image of UPS(dont want to be running over people, not good lol) and it difinetly helps the bottom line. ( ; This one is real easy and quick. New potential drivers have a 1 or 2 week course before they drive. Why not just tell them to slow(I hate to use the word "slow") down a little and be more careful. I believe most of your accidents are caused by the younger more inexperienced driver(no disrespect intended) that are in to big of a hurry. After the newbie has cut his teeth(1,2 or 3 years),so to speak, then you could turn up the burners. LOL Maybe this is unrealistic. Brown Cafers your thoughts and comments on the issue. Thanks and take care, Area 43

Ru.

are you serious? are people saying that because the camera is not working then don't drive it? how did we survive before cameras?
it must have been hell out there. get real folks. the camera is an aid to backing that's all. use your mirror's, if in doubt get out or better still don't back. that's the safest and best advice i can give. other than suppling you all with large amounts of cotton wool to wrap yourselves up in.