"Backing After"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Agreed.

I know during the day, what I am doing that will show up in a report and decide at that time, if it is worth getting called into the office for.

So, for you, Telematics is working as it has changed your mindset. It has also changed mine---I stop for a second and think whereas in the past I would just do it---but not so much out of concern that I will end up on a report. Telematics has made me a more aware driver.

The only time I end up on a report is when the seat belt hits the key fob, opening the bulkhead door while I am driving.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
My decision making doesn't involve what report it goes on, it involves what is the safest to do at each individual stop. When you start to worry about what report your actions go on you fall into the no win situation of decision making. Don't do things because they'll be on a report, do them to keep yourself out of potential accident situations.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sup told me that you must travel 100ft after completing a stop before you can back. Lately they've been coming to about it. Usually it's after I deliver in a cul de sac and I must back because I can't clear a parked car, no power steering.

Was the parked car there as you approached the delivery point? If so could you have parked so as to avoid having to back?

Notretiredyet

I do it the safest way I know how, if thats involves me turning around before going far enough forward that it shows (falsely) that I did the stop in an unsafe manner so be it. Finding a safe park position is one of the most important things I do for my own and also the vehicles safety at every stop, sometimes one rule is more important than another, esp with the number of rules we have. Too many cooks spoil the soup so to speak, we have too many people who justify their jobs by coming up with more rules for us to follow/learn/recite that they contradict each other at times. Common sense dispatching (ie less work esp on bad weather days) would do more for safety/attendance and morale than any new DOK question or telematics report.JMO

yeaalabama1212

Yeah the car was already there. If I was in a power steering vehicle I could easily clear the parked cars. Still trying to learn to adjust to not having it.

Exactly. The OP thought it was a matter of time (90 seconds). I thought it had to do with distance.
Anyhow, that's how I had to get rid of a few BFEs. Drive past the house, turn around, come back. It's dumb, because now your delivering from the opposite side of the street - but it get's rid of those exceptions.
If you aren't in reverse for more than three seconds it doesn't count as a reverse with telematics. Also if you move 5 feet forward first you won't show up as a back first exception.

UpsYours

24 years and many ,many stops.The more you have to think about not doing something the longer it takes to get it done,This isnt brain surgery its delivering cardboard boxes.and they wonder why the over allowed has gone through the roof.drivers are working scared ..not me...

UpsYours

I wear my belt and do my best to keep my door closed.as far as backing.i do it where its safe to do .no blind backs ,back first and stay alert while doing it. i may back maybe 15-20 times a day..some docks, some resi. ,some end of road..i dont think about it--:biting: i do it ..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I do my best to avoid back first exceptions, but sometimes they are unavoidable. When they happen, I will show up on a report. That "report" is nothing but a piece of paper with ink on it in the shape of letters. It doesnt mean anything. If for whatever reason my management team feels the need to pay me $32 an hour to come in to the office the next morning to discuss that "report", that is fine with me; the office is warm and the seat is comfortable and my bosses desk has a nice little coaster on it for my coffee mug. A guy can make a lot of money around here sitting in the office and talking about reports.

BrownArmy

Our previous center manager said that there was never a reason to have a backing-first exception.

I raise my hand...much hilarity ensues.

Sometimes on a tight, one way street the only parking spot you can get is right behind another vehicle...just enough room so that you're clear of the driveway behind you.

Except when you need to pull away, you need to back first, it's just logistics.

center manager said, OK, that's one exception.

Someone else raises their hand...etc.

How, oh how did UPS function before automatically generated reports?

Why do we still have bosses? We have computers EDD and Telematics!!!The Sups have been replaced...add a route and cut a Sup...oh wait I forgot they hate us Union guys They rather have over paid paper pushers...instead of somebody to load deliver or fix a truck...What the Heck was I thinking???

WorknLateHuh

Back First Exception for me usually equalls = Was in doubt, so got out and looked. Most on-roads leave it at that when you do show up on a report, as long as it's not excessive or frequently happening.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Don't know if this has ever been mentioned. The older International p-7s steering can be adjusted to turn a tighter radius. This has helped a great deal on backs in our center. Might be something to write in the DVIR for those that apply.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Don't know if this has ever been mentioned. The older International p-7s steering can be adjusted to turn a tighter radius. This has helped a great deal on backs in our center. Might be something to write in the DVIR for those that apply.
The mechanics in our shop take a rotation out because they eat too many power steering pumps. I can understand not wanting to be ground upon by a clipboard toting sup, but we live in reality and they live in fantasy land. They are free to ride with me and show me how to do my job better.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Exactly. The OP thought it was a matter of time (90 seconds). I thought it had to do with distance.
Anyhow, that's how I had to get rid of a few BFEs. Drive past the house, turn around, come back. It's dumb, because now your delivering from the opposite side of the street - but it get's rid of those exceptions.

I'm the OP. This is what I've been doing too because my sup said exception is triggered if you hit reverse within 90 seconds of hitting stop complete. I too have been driving to the end of the dead end road, turning around and delivering from the wrong side to avoid being on the report. Again as I said before I think the exceptions are being triggered from backing again on stops that are in close proximity of the previous stop where I had to also back (like my dock example).

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If you aren't in reverse for more than three seconds it doesn't count as a reverse with telematics. Also if you move 5 feet forward first you won't show up as a back first exception.

That's not completely true. I was driving up a steep hill in a recent snow storm and lost traction part way up and had to back all the way down (like 300 feet). Rather than putting it in reverse I just put it in neutral and rode the brakes to the bottom of the hill. My sup asked me the next day why I had like a 350 foot backup so apparently rear motion even if not in reverse comes up as a back on telematics.

Mstrb

My sup told me I have to drive atleast 500ft not to get a BFE...I told him "Well, looks like we will have a metting everyday then..becuase that ridiculous"
Havent been called in the office for BFE since..