backing in res driveways

brownman15

Here's the way my on road supe looked at me, when I asked him about telemetrix, (sensors in pkg cars).
2266166292_058d9a6363.jpg

lol or any question

over9five

Staff member
LOL Yes I will call the center when they issue company cell phones. In the meantime I will send a message via the DIAD.I am paid by the hour Cha Ching!!!!

Oh yeah, I love that! Send the message, wait for the reply. Do it 20 times a day! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

brownman15

Oh yeah, I love that! Send the message, wait for the reply. Do it 20 times a day! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

sent the message friday for 1 res stop i have that gets anywhere from 20-60 pkgs a day. they have me back up 2 his garage and he helps me unload it into his garage. sent message twice never got reply so unloaded them at curb customer was not 2 happy since he just got done shoveling so i could. told him no longer could back-into driveways

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
sent the message friday for 1 res stop i have that gets anywhere from 20-60 pkgs a day. they have me back up 2 his garage and he helps me unload it into his garage. sent message twice never got reply so unloaded them at curb customer was not 2 happy since he just got done shoveling so i could. told him no longer could back-into driveways

Good job, you worked as directed. I'd run it by my supe on Monday morning and ask him if it's okay. I hope you didn't just leave the pkgs by the curb.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I may just have my mechanic disable reverse in my PC.

Seriously, our big thing about backing is telling us to only be a quartback, and never a halfback or fullback unless absolutely necessary. Some whole football analogy thing.

Re-Raise

They must really think we are children completely incapable of making good decisions without them. Or some "tie" has way too much time on his hands trying to somehow make his job seem worthwhile with this brilliant idea.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Give him your center manager's phone number and let him call it and discuss the situation with a decision maker.

I cant wait for some tie-wearing idiot to implement this at my center. I could see making several thousand $$ per year more in EZ overtime just sitting and waiting for my manager to give me permission to back up 30 or 40 times a day. If its night time and he has gone home, I guess I will just have to call a tow truck....

brownrodster

First time I ever delivered in a rural area a sup went along with me. When we needed to turn around I didn't know what to do. He told me to back into that driveway. I refused and told him that the 8 rules of backing say never back in driveways. He instructed me again to back in to the driveway. We argued back and forth and eventually I did as he instructed. That was the day I realized I could not follow all the methods as taught and be a successful driver. I refuse to sign all those safety things they give us at PCM because no matter what I sign they will instruct me at some point to do the opposite.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Or put a steering wheel on both ends and you never back up , just change ends that you drive from."

That's what AmTrak & Metrolink do with the trains in S. Orange County.

705red

Browncafe Steward
my center manager will not give out his cell phone number. people asked him for it when they started this
No, No, No! Do not call unless you have a ups phone, or if they will pay your phone bill. Work as directed and walk everything off that you would have normally backed in to driveways.

I only hope this is going to happen to the north of you, i have some very long dead end streets, could take me 30 minutes to do a stop or two walking it. And with the severe cold coming that would be unsafe to be in the weather for that long, so just go ahead and sheet emergency condition! Until they put in the new "My boss is a dumb arse" soft key!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No, No, No! Do not call unless you have a ups phone, or if they will pay your phone bill. Work as directed and walk everything off that you would have normally backed in to driveways.

I only hope this is going to happen to the north of you, i have some very long dead end streets, could take me 30 minutes to do a stop or two walking it. And with the severe cold coming that would be unsafe to be in the weather for that long, so just go ahead and sheet emergency condition! Until they put in the new "My boss is a dumb arse" soft key!
Red, I would love the day that put that key in.

Of course we all know why the mantra came down, Right?
Someone, rpobably in safety, was stressing over the number of backing accidents. Then they come across one that involved backing into a driveway. They thought, "hmmmmm, we aren't supposed to be in driveways anyway." So now there is a memo to someone in opersations stating that the company can save X amount of dollars by banning backing in driveways, this is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. Then the Manager sends down a mandate that the number of backs into drives are out of control and he expects this to be fixed, it rolls down that hill to CMs and they crap their knickers and go on an all out campagin to re-train all the drivers. NO EXCEPTIONS!