Backing over 6 year old on bike - Driver Discussion

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Prayers to the family of the boy and to the UPS driver.

According to police, the UPS driver was making deliveries at the apartment complex Friday afternoon and was backing up into a parking space.

The driver checked his mirrors, a backup camera and honked the horn before backing up, police said.

The boy had been riding behind the vehicle when he was struck. He was not wearing a helmet.

No citations were issued to him.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Perhaps all comments should be deleted if we cannot talk about this horrific news story?

barnyard

KTM rider
Who lets a 6 year old ride unsupervised in a parking lot?

I see it all the time in apartment complexes and cul de sacs. Many residents view those areas as their private playgrounds.

A situation like this is a nightmare for the driver, the supes and the family of the child. I feel for all of them.

barnyard

KTM rider
I thought he was backing in. As he approached there was no child. Was there anything to tip the driver off as to walking to the back of the vehicle?

We can 2nd guess everything about this till hell won't have us and in the end, the kid will still be dead and nothing will change that.

Maybe there was something that could have prevented it, but maybe there could not have been. I suspect that we will never know and quite frankly, I am fine with that.

wayfair

swollen member
Please keep your kids from playing/riding in parking lots.
It's an effed up situation. I hope the driver keeps his job and his sanity.
accidents happen...
Peace be with the family.

MassWineGuy

Yes. A quick walk around the vehicle may have prevented this tragedy.

No doubt this may have prevented the tragedy. I know they talk about it at driving school, but I'd love to see a show of hands from all the drivers who have ever gotten out and looked behind their vehicles. I'll bet it's a pretty small number.