Bad Accident

wornoutupser

From what I hear the driver is off the road pending the investigation. He at this point does not seem to be at fault. From what I hear(not 100% sure) there was another driver behind him that seen it happen and a witness walking down the sidewalk saying there was nothing he could have done. No skid marks until after impact with the car. Speed limit in this area is 40mph. Someone mentioned about firing the driver.I could be wrong but wouldn't that be bad for UPS if they fire him and he isn't found at fault by the Highway Patrol investigation?

Johney,

Even though I work (IMHO) in one of the worse buildings in the company, I can promise you that Big Brown WILL go after a driver even though the local police,county sheriff and Florida Highway Patrol have all cleared the driver from fault.

In my center coverage, there is a road with a intersection. There is a building that is only 14 feet from the corner. Our driver (not me), was going up the main road when another driver blew past the stop sign, hitting our vehicle.

There was a huge downpour at the time and our driver was well under the speed limit.

The other driver was doing 40 MPH.

Our driver was cleared by all law enforcement, yet charged by UPS with an avoidable intersection accident.

Please remember, the other vehicle was doing 40 MPH and our driver had only 14 feet of reaction time to see and avoid the accident.

Our driver ended up suing UPS to clear his name and for the court costs only. The judge refused to even listen to UPS's arguments, throwing the case out and ordering UPS to clear the driver and pays his costs. It was quite a show as the local safety guy tried to argue with the judge!

Just another example here of abused drivers and how far we have to go to cover ourselves!

moreluck

golden ticket member

Motorcyclist dies after hitting UPS truck

[SIZE=+1]

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]10:40 AM PST on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
A 21-year-old Victorville motorcyclist died last night after he collided with a UPS truck at an intersection in that high desert city, San Bernardino County coroner's and sheriff's officials say.
Jose Canales crashed at 6:42 p.m. Tuesday while riding a blue Suzuki motorcycle west along Nisuqalli Road, deputies said in a written statement.
"As he approached First Avenue, a UPS box truck made a left turn to travel east ... on Nisuqalli," according to the statement. "As the UPS truck was crossing Nisqualli, the motorcycle changed lanes out from behind a westbound vehicle at a high rate of speed and collided with the ... truck."
A helicopter crew flew Canales to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton where he died at 9:46 p.m.
Anyone who witnessed the accident or has information about the wreck may call Deputy James Snow at 760-241-2911.
--Richard Brooks

moreluck

golden ticket member
UPS driver rescues kids from wreck

Read more here: UPS driver rescues kids from wreck - AP State Wire News - The Sacramento Bee

Last edited by a moderator:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Moreluck,
Why would you add this to a 5 year old thread? Just curious.
I searched the forum for an "Accident" thread. All the other accident threads were too specific an accident. This one was a "generic accident". Just trying to avoid making a new thread when there's one already available..

moreluck

golden ticket member
Here's the story from the regular press......

UPS driver rescues kids from wreck - AP State Wire News - The Sacramento Bee

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I was going to post this, but Moreluck beat me to it. Way to go, Eric Logan.

As drivers, we find ourselves in certain situations that just happen. We just have to make a snap decision and do whats right. We don't do these things to get famous, we just do what needs to be done.

clarnzz

This could be viewed in bad taste given the original topic of this thread. Although I do think it's kind of rediculous that we have to disclaim that we are human beings and we do not wish disrespect on serious issues.

With that said, maybe I have a problem, because when I saw the topic the first thing I thought of was a driver with diahrea 50 miles from the closest bathroom and all out of DR bags.