BAD NEWS: UPS just threatened to train "new hires" so they don't have to raise wages

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
It's gonna be dire
1689627793173835.jpg

DOK

Do you see yourself as a Teamster, or a full timer Teamster?

If we make the part time jobs more desirable (in theory) we will attract better employees. Maybe start getting more college kids back again.

And then we can start to better educate the part timers on why they should want a career as a UPS teamster full time.

The people in the building are the future drivers. We should all want good ones.
Agree with the first half of that but the part timers in our building want nothing to do with driving, not like it used to be. Maybe a better part time wage would turn that around.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
But, I actually have. I come in when I'm scheduled at 1:00 -1:30, work my 8 or 9 hours. Do the same on my 6th day punch.
I'm classified as a part timer, get PT pay and PT pension, but haven't worked less than 2000 hours a year since my first year.
Bottom line is, PT can be viable. But, I am treated like full time and think I should be compensated accordingly.
Well...umm you kind of do, don't you? Overtime after 5 hours? Probably make more doing that than straight 8 at full time inside wage.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Brotherhood sounds good in Disney movies, but the reality is where I live and work. No one here is going to take care of my family or financial responsibility. As well as I don’t expect them to.
We should fight for one another, if the cause is justifiable in losing your job over. However, I can’t find logical and rational reasons to strike and potentially put myself on the street cause someone has decided that PT need $25/Hr.

Am I in the twilight zone here?

No one can help you if you’re laid off due to economic circumstance. Neither would a collection plate be passed around to help in the moment.

God
Family
Friends
In that order.

Maybe it would better then being the “Company Punk” for the next 5, 10 or 15 years.

You probably already know what that means…don’t you?

If we go on strike every dirty little secret will be aired out in the public, the further it continues more facts relating to our work environment will come out not this Corporate fluff we are hearing now.

This has nothing to do with Carol or even Sean, there is a bigger problems that had been festering, we all know it and it will eventually explode if they are not resolved.

Can you guess what the real issue is…?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Maybe it would better then being the “Company Punk” for the next 5, 10 or 15 years.

If we go on strike every dirty little secret will be aired out in the public, the further it continues more facts relating to our work environment will come out not this Corporate fluff we are hearing now.

This has nothing to do with Carol or even Sean, there is a bigger problems that had been festering, we all know it and it will eventually explode if they are not resolved.

I give up? Is it angry people bringing their anger into the workplace from home?

Your comment is hard to follow with all the conflicting grammar.👁️‍🗨️

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I give up? Is it angry people bringing their anger into the workplace from home?

Your comment is hard to follow with all the conflicting grammar.👁️‍🗨️

C.S. Lewis I ain't, getting a little better...should of seen me in High School... :bloodshot:

"I give up?"....Nope, you got it backwards....It is angry people bringing their anger into the (Home) from the (Workplace) !

We’re being asked to sacrifice our livelihoods and responsibilities to give someone a 10$+ hour raise to do a non skilled inside job. Meanwhile they go to grocery stores and fast food joints everyday and give their order or checkout at a kiosk, you know why? The people that once manned those counters asked for a stupid amount of money too. They want 20-25$ an hour to do a job everyone here with over five years of employment did for 8.50$ an hour. We didn’t complain about it. We coveted the day we would become drivers and the other half were there just for the healthcare and had other day jobs. Go to your local grocery store that’ll pay you 15$ an hour and ask for the benefits package you get here and you will be laughed out of the room.
Clearly, you don't understand economics at all and the company uses this ignorance to fear monger workers into accepting poverty wages.

Inflation is perpetual, people in finance understand this. The reason the bank pays you APY on savings and CDs is for this reason. the strong 8.50 people made in the 80s is not the same 8.50 people use today. That number is more like 25, because since the 80s inflation on all price points in our economy rose that much. The economy has inflated. That means there is more money supply floating in the air than ever and the proportionate amount should be in the workers pocket as in the past.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Air Conditioners ?

BeachBoy

I understand. So would you take a full time position if available?
I've thought a lot about it, but I've worked myself into a job that I actually like. Nobody messes with me. With the new contract, I'm looking at 70k next year.
A better pension would be nice, but, this is a second job after my first retirement. Between the two and the rest of the retirement things, I should be good.
Just saying, some locals pay ft pensions for pt hours if they meet the 1800 hour requirement.